Strings. (possible stupid question alert)

Discussion in 'Tone Zone' started by Bogart, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Bogart

Bogart Member

So, Gibson tells you over and over that their brite wires are the proper ones for you to get. I've always thought that was just to hawk their own product, and have always used a different preffered brand.

But I just bought a 61RI, and the strings feel great!

Any input on this? Should I be buying Gibson brand strings?

2. nalaregeork

nalaregeork Member

I bought a multi pack special online (I forget I think it was like five sets) and I thought they were fine but, they didn't seem any better then any other average string out there.

3. sgSter

sgSter Member

Of course Gibson will tell you to use them. No harm done though, they'er fine strings. I use them myself.

4. Darthie

Darthie Member

The brites are cool. I love the feel and will keep them. On my other guitar I'm using ghs boomers or Dean Markley Blue Steels, but the feel of the Brites tops these. Will also try the Gibson Humbucker Strings in the near future...
    8)

5. Bogart

Bogart Member

Blue Steel = ewwwww! Though I am a fan of Dean Markley regular strings. The grey packages.

Those are what I usually use, but these Gibsons are amazing. The unwound strings feel just so good.

6. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

The subject of strings comes up a lot...

Gotta keep in mind that pretty much EVERYBODY's unwound strings are the same. There are probably more differences "run-to-run" in wire than there are in the actual type of string (wire) used in the unwound ones. That is, they all use the same wire - plain steel nickle plated wire, or stainless steel wire. I've been told that some "stainless" sets use plain steel unwound strings, with a better plating of nickle. The plating is REAL thin, just enough really to keep them from rusting too quickly just sitting around (and they rust that way too, given enough time). SOME unwound strings are also coated with plastic - ie, Nanoweb, Polyweb, Raz-ma-taz-web etc etc etc.

Its the wound strings that get interesting.
    > There variations in core-to-winding size, ie Slinky has thinner core
    > Core material, ie steel, stainless, single strand, multistrand
    > Winding material, pure nickle, steel, stainless, bronze
    > Core shape (ie, round, hex), winding material shape (ie, round, trapezoid, flat)
    > dual winding vs single winding, ie Zebra's are dual wound (great jazz string BTW)
    > plating, and coating, ie, nickle plated steel, nano-poly-raz-ma-taz etc etc

And finally... There's the actual gauge of the wire used in the set, as the sets do vary a bit from make to make. Someone's Lights are aother's extra-lights, etc. Even if you use the string sizes, say .010-.046 you may find different string gauges used for individual strings in the set... varying from brand to brand

I've also been told that there are TWO and onlyTWO manufacturers of the actual wire used in string making. One is a German outfit named Rausche (don't kill me if I got that wrong), the other is a Mexican company pretty much set up by Fender in recent years to supply their strings and sell raw wire to other winders.

Gibson does not make strings. Fender does to a point (they have so much control over it, it might as well be them). DR was set up by Martin maker.
    ErnieBall/Slinky are makers. I believe GHS is a maker.

If you read a bunch online from the different string providers (dealers, etc) you'll find little bits and pieces of info. Read up on the string company's webpages too.

AND -
    Most of all, TRY OUT all sorts of different strings. Don't be like the fisherman afraid to try a new lure, bait, or rig, just because he always gets one or two with what he's been doing. You may find that the next strings you try are GREAT... but you wont know unless you try.

7. nalaregeork

nalaregeork Member

Makes sense to me CharlieB there really are a lot of similarities brand to brand if you tend to select a similar type and guage.
    I get a lot of Daddarios locally (seem to be the prevalent brand around here) every once in a while they may be out of the 10-46's that I like and I make a switch. I recently ended up with some 10-46 GHS and I couldn't hardly tell the difference. The Gibson strings were also 10-46 and they seemed pretty much like the Daddarios I usually end up with there was hardly any difference between the tone and playability as installed on my SG.

8. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

D'Addario is a maker of strings for other companies as well.
    I know DR private labels strings too.
    I'm guessing GHS does. Don't think EB/Slinky does. Don't think Fender's operation (does anything but strings for Fender, but it probably does other Fender brands, ie, Guild strings, Gretsch strings, maybe now Tacoma strings too).