Stuck in a box?

Discussion in 'Lessons & Techniques' started by living room rocker, Apr 7, 2019.

1. living room rocker

living room rocker Active Member

Two and half years in and know these 5 box patterns (scales) fairly well. I read about diagonal 3 & 4 note per string scales that allow one to traverse the fretboard diagonally by leaps and bounds. The finger stretch and hand shifting needed for 3 or 4 nps scales sure seems awfully excessive for these 60 year old paws. If most everything is available in a box, anything wrong with being "stuck in a box" or am I missing out on some big time guitar playing ecstasy? Does a "box" guy equate to an amateur and a 3nps guy a pro?

2. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

When I saw this thread title, I immediately thought of the song title "Man in the Box".

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
  3. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

Use whatever works for you.

4. rotorhead

rotorhead Well-Known Member

Keith Richards has been stuck in the same box for 55 years and it's working for him. No worries. :)

plankton likes this.
  5. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Well-Known Member

I don't like staying in one part of the neck. I bore myself when I do that. I use the diagonal scales you mentioned, and I will also do hammer-and-pull down a string to get to another part of the neck.

6. Steve D

Steve D Well-Known Member

You can navigate around between boxes without using 3nps. Here's one way, for example, where the guy ties together all the root notes with a single pattern he can walk between them and land in another position easily.