super distortion

Discussion in 'Tone Zone' started by carl brooks, Oct 1, 2019.

1. carl brooks

carl brooks New Member

i have a mex strat that i put a super distortion in it, It plays and sounds killer. i put a SD in my les paul and it sounds muddy i dont get it? they both have stock pots, my SG has a 490t and i put a 500k volume pot in it it sounds good but i want to get the same sound and action out of the SG, its close but i need a bit more oomph without a bunch of feedback id put a SD in it but it may sound like the les paul? i was thinking of duncan distortion . what do you guys think? i play thru a JCM2000 and JCM800, thanks

2. DaveInSoCal

DaveInSoCal Active Member

I have a 2012 SG that I put SD's in along with new 500K Pots and it sounds great! I also play through a JCM2000 and have great tone, not muddy at all. I have put the SD's in a Les Paul and a Flying V, both with great results.

As far as Duncans go, I just installed my first Duncan ( a Black Winter ) in my HSS Strat at that pickup is amazing!

Also, in my experience SG's are brighter than Les Pauls so I think yuo will be good to go.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
  3. rotorhead

rotorhead Well-Known Member

Check your height between the strings and the top of the pole pieces on the pups. The gap might be too large. Even a little makes a difference.

DrBGood likes this.