Surprisingly NUGD!!

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by Bad Penguin, Aug 24, 2020.

1. Bad Penguin

Bad Penguin Well-Known Member

Hey all. Since Covid crap struck, I haven't worked since March. Which is kinda good, since I have have had a few medical issues surgically worked on in the meantime. Sucks, with the loss of money, but I have always had a few guitars that my wife has called the 401K plan. Which is strange, thinking that even without the stimulus checks, nor the majority of the US workforce completely back, people still have money to spend on a good guitar on feebay or CL. Go figure....

Ok, that now off my chest, I saw this in a pawn shop. After a few minutes of playing, whining about the tiny speck of lost finish, and the buzzing from the crappy strings, and the ever asking, "Does this have a case? If not, I probably won't buy it." (A complete lie, but hey, you know the drill. :naughty:) After she brings me the original hard case, and after a little bit more of pointing out ALL the flaws, (Both real and "imagined") I came home with this, for LESS then $300!!!!

A 2000 Korean made SG-400 Custom! I had bought it to flip, but "Mary" is staying with me for a while I think. The pickups are decent. A bit...."muffled" but still serviceable. I may replace them with either a set of alnico 5's or a set of 2's I have the parts drawer. The action is brilliant, equaling my 73 Gibby SG, a bone nut, which should be standard on all guitar, was cut and set up perfectly, and after a few moments with a rag, water, and some Crest toothpaste, the gold pickups covers lost the crud, and came back to life with minty freshness!

GEDC1302.JPG

GEDC1303.JPG

GEDC1304.JPG

StarRaider, DanB, football27 and 5 others like this.
  2. Brian Kenny

Brian Kenny New Member

Nice Score!

3. Sp8ctre

Sp8ctre Well-Known Member

That is a beauty! I love it!

4. TChalms

TChalms New Member

Excellent !! Great addition to the 401K.

Do you give lessons in Pawn Shop Negotiations?

Bad Penguin likes this.
  5. Bad Penguin

Seriously, look at the date the item came in. If it's past 2 months or so, corporate's attitude is to move it to free up space for new stock. The 2 chains down here in Florida, Cash America and Value Pawn, will have dates the price will go down. Automatically go for the next lower price. Then point out flaws and the like. And as it may sound sexist, try to get a woman sales person. In general, they know nothing about guitars.

zakkarist likes this.
  6. dub-setter

dub-setter Well-Known Member

noice....

good it came with an upgraded bone nut.

the pus in these ( hot ch and 57 ??)
    are decent,
    but the bridge one did sound a bit harsh to me,
    neck was okay.

i did an upgrade with a p90 in the neck
    and an dimarzio paf in the bridge position..

DrBGood likes this.
  7. Bad Penguin

Well, I finally changed out the pickups in the neck and bridge. The hot ch and 57 were just muffled sounding to my ears, and I replaced them with a set of A2 magnet Chinese pickups I had in my parts drawer./ And, since I couldn't stand the look of the open coils, took off the metal covers of the Epi's, getting a pile of wax on my work table in the process, and replaces the chrome pickup lugs with gold ones, and the Epi's covers. Looks exactly the same, but oh God..... SO MUCH NICER!!!!!

8. football27

football27 Member

That is nice. Beautiful guitar.

9. Westernrider

Westernrider Active Member

That is one incredible guitar .......enjoy it.

About 2012 or so, I think, I had a chance to buy that guitar for about $450.
    To this day, I don't know why ..... I said No!

For this, I hang my head in shame and wait for the stars to come into alignment as descried in the forbidden books of black lore then I perform the ritual to petition Yog-Sothoth and wait for the night gaunts to deliver that guitar to my bedside and place it in the empty stand.

Distant memories .... I really dont remember the first time seeing that guitar. However ..... this is a guitar of my dreams and heroes .....