Tail Piece Issue with My Epi LP.

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by chilipeppermaniac, Apr 28, 2014.

1. chilipeppermaniac

chilipeppermaniac Well-Known Member

I mentioned this issue I found on my LP. Found a thread on MLP when I googled this.

Here is a pic of Tail Piece studs pulling up out of guitar that I found on MLP. Mine is worse.

[​IMG]Almost decided to give Epi Gibson warranty a shot at correcting this for me.

Still on the fence as I usually like to fix my own stuff. If only it didn't have an easily crackable Poly finish.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  2. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

if it's brand new and still under warranty, then it looks like
    that's the best approach. looks like a lovely Lester, but still...
    talk to the dealer, or Epi Warranty.

I'd be tempted to tap it with a rubber mallet, but
    only if it wasn't under warranty. I usually like to fix my own
    stuff too, but not when it's new. When Poly chips, it chips BIG.
    Post this in the luthier's section...

eS.G. likes this.
  3. Tobacco Worm

Tobacco Worm Well-Known Member

Yeah why not, they brag about their wonderful warranty, let's see just how good they are about it. I'd be interested to see what they say about this issue.:hmm:

Alex_SG and Biddlin like this.
  4. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

I'm with Wade, let's see what they do.

5. chilipeppermaniac

Thanks guys for your review of the issue and suggestions. Well, I took a little initiative to research the Gibson warranty procedure as spelled out here.

Epiphone's Limited Lifetime Warranty

This part sounds good:
    If you experience any problems with your new Epiphone instrument please do not attempt to repair it yourself. You should immediately contact the retailer where you purchased it. In most cases, the retailer will either replace or arrange to have it repaired for you. But if for any reason the problem cannot be resolved or is not resolved to your satisfaction, please contact our Customer Service department. We are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and we are here to help. The contact information is below: Gibson Musical Instruments
    Customer Service Department
    1-800-4GIBSON (1-800-444-2766)
    service@gibson.com

Then there is the process and legaleze

How To Obtain Warranty Service
    In the event of malfunction of your Epiphone instrument, you should notify your nearest Authorized Epiphone Dealer.
    [​IMG]The Dealer or Owner must ship the instrument, freight and insurance pre-paid, to the nearest Authorized Epiphone Service Center. If there is no Authorized Epiphone Service Center near you, contact or have your dealer contact Epiphone for information and authorization to return the instrument to Epiphone. No instrument may be returned to Epiphone without such prior Return Authorization. Only Authorized Epiphone Service Centers may perform warranty service and any service performed by unauthorized persons will void this warranty. Epiphone disclaims liability for defects or damage caused by services performed by unauthorized persons or non-warranty service not performed by Epiphone or an Authorized Epiphone Service Center.
    When contacting Epiphone, you must include a complete written description of the malfunction of the instrument. If non-warranty work is required or recommended by Epiphone, a quotation will be issued and must be approved by you before any non-warranty work is commenced. You should consider quotations obtained for non-warranty work immediately and advise the Authorized Epiphone Service Center or Epiphone of your wishes. You are not required to purchase non-warranty work in order to obtain service on materials covered by this warranty. following its inspection of an instrument upon its arrival, Epiphone or the Authorized Epiphone Service Center will advise you or your dealer of the approximate date of completion. The repaired instrument or port will be returned to you or your dealer, freight collect insured.
    No representative or other person is authorized to assume for Epiphone any liability except as stated in this warranty. This warranty gives you specific rights which vary from state to state.

_____________________________________________________________________________

Well, the other day I looked up warranty repair places in Maryland and just today took a chance to call the one I was considering.
    The man answered his phone directly. I explained why I was calling and what my problem is. He asked where I bought it. When I told him, his response was; "Oh, I know Mr Hess, when do you want to bring it in? " I asked when is best for him, and he said just give him a call the day I wanted to come and we would make arrangements.

Sounds like Gibson/Epi may just have a decent repair guy on their hands, if not a pleasant one at the least.
    Maybe tomorrow or the next day I will have time to ride over to see him.

6. chilipeppermaniac

Col, I posted it in the Epi SG section for a simple reason that it is a Gibby/Epi warranty question first, a luthier maintenance issue 2nd.

Anyway, my shop was closed today, so I called Gibson customer service. Told them dealer was closed, could I get a repair auth. number and hand deliver it to the warranty repair shop since they are close by? He said all I'd need is my receipt and sure.

Spent about 3 hrs looking for the receipt before dinner. Found 22 bux in some paperwork instead. Took a break to help a lady friend, had dinner, went to a buddy's, went to convenience store and got some hot dogs a drink and 2 - $2 scratch off lottery tix. Won $20 then looked about 1 hr for LP receipt. I finally found it and warranty cards for it and my old Dot
    Pretty lucky night!!!
    Will be a nice adventure to meet the Warranty repair man soon. To be cont..

WavMixer, eS.G. and Biddlin like this.
  7. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

First thing is to lower the tailpiece as far as you can without the strings hitting the bridge. That is a very long lever working against the wood right now. You may have to dismantle it and re-seat them with some glue.

8. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

The pic isn't of his, Don, so we don't know how much thread is showing on the object in question. I'm looking forward to the next installment, at the service center.
    [​IMG]
    ;>)/

9. chilipeppermaniac

Bid, the service center guy was like an older twin brother albeit more well heeled and more equipped than I.

He said he's been a Martin and Gibson repair shop for 40+ years. He also is out in a picturesque semi secluded farmette with horses, bees, dogs, tractors, etc. His Pole building had large work benches, tool setups, shelves full of supplies, books, stacks of guitars in cases, works in progress from antique guitars to mandolins etc. He said in a few days he'll be done, he'll remove offending parts, glue them back in, condition the fretboard and address my string binding in the nut. I brought new strings and he recommended top wrapping instead of the way it came from factory.

I also was asked for my business card as I had told him I do carpentry. He runs in some pretty well to do circles of horsemen and knows my old boss who owns a car dealer I used to work for. If he hires me, then word gets out of my work to the car folks or their friends, this need of repair could have been a bigtime blessing and very beneficial meeting of the super nice warranty man.

To be continued has been some story so far.

WavMixer, alans sg and Rudehog like this.
  10. chilipeppermaniac

And my actual tailpiece was indeed " lower" but my bushings were extracting even higher out of the body than this guitar pictured.

11. chilipeppermaniac

I sure am glad this thread of mine got moved over to OTHER guitars from Epi SG section so no one would read it.

Anyway,,,,,,,,,,, should be hearing from the guitar man soon enough and will report back about my sweet LP once i get jamming on it again soon.

12. chilipeppermaniac

Update on my Epi LP and warranty repair. The Luthier said he would remove the studs and reglue them in the guitar. I asked him to address the sticky G string in the nut and he also said he'd wax the fretboard for me. All 3 items No charge. Advised to top wrap the tailpiece to minimize tension forces that might work the tailpiece up and out again.
    Guitar plays smooth as silk and sounds great!!!

13. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Good to hear, VERY good to hear......I have yet to purchase a new Epi, but nice to know if I do....the service appears to be very very top notch! (But hey they are damn fine guitars regardless of what some say)
    Good on Ya Chili glad to hear some positive stuff is goin down in your neck of the woods.....those "good vibes" might have helped:thumb:

14. chilipeppermaniac

Thanks bro ESG.

PS that was some score on guitars u had there recently!!!

15. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Thanks Man. How bout a pick of that Epi Lester now that she is all fixed up and such. :-)

alans sg likes this.
  16. chilipeppermaniac

Returning to my old thread. I see the original picture I lifted from elsewhere to illustrate what was happening to my Epi LP Tail piece studs has ceased to function. I'll have to post updated pics.

Also, originally I seemed pleased and satisfied with the Gib/Epi warranty man's explanation of how he corrected the tilting and lifting out tailpiece bushings by regluing them in. But, short of doubting a veteran Martin, Gibson Epi, etc factory repair guy, I decided to accept my guitar back despite the bushings still not sitting flush and the studs leaning toward the bridge like a miniature Tower of Pisa. There was no movement or worsening of this since the fix, but in my mind it was not right still.

Therefore; I decided to try my hand at fixing it right and will be pursuing another owner supplied fix to correct the factory builder's crooked holes and repairman's decision not to actually prep the guitar right so once he did glue the bushings in, all would be good and straight.

Anyway, after extraction, here is how it sits.

[​IMG]

17. JohnnyGoo

JohnnyGoo Well-Known Member

Say Chilli,on my SG and the old SG the treble side bushing is higher than the bass side and i think the reason is cause of the copper ground underneath stud bushings.i notice my two Epis this iant the case but there using braided wire enstead of solid copper stock.just sayin man.say keep the progress posted.

18. JohnnyGoo

Say if those bushings are pulling out again you might want to shim them up with some brass shime or somethin then drive um in there.hell it would be a good time to convert them to Gibby style/non metric threads.

19. chilipeppermaniac

20. JohnnyGoo

Long as im flappin my yap,i kinda like the bigger metric posts on the bridge.not so much the Epi hardware but if you go to a Tonepros set up the larger bridge posts are rock solid.could drive a car over them.especially for someone who has a Bigsby.