Tailpiece post stuck to insert

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by ahbuune, Mar 17, 2020.

1. ahbuune

ahbuune New Member

Hello guys i have an Epiphone sg 2007 that i have difficulty turning the post out.

I am not sure if it was glued at factory since thats what happened on the poker chip.

Can anyone give me some idea on how i can remove it? I tried heating up the metal but it doesnt work.

Attached Files:

2. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

It's probably best to pull out the bush and post complete from the body. Then you can put it in a vise and get some decent leverage on it without danger of damaging the guitar. Worst way you have to buy new bushes and posts. Also try to find a much wider bladed screwdriver to turn the post. There is already some damage caused by using one with a too-narrow blade. In fact a large coin should do it. That won't chew the slot.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
  3. ahbuune

ahbuune New Member

Any way how i can pull it out?

4. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

The usual way requires access to the internal thread, but obviously you don't have that. You will have to devise some sort of pry bar or lever. Make sure you work it against something flat and solid to protect the guitar's finish.

5. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

Hard to see if there is any space at all between the post and the bushing but if there is I'd try to spray some CRC 5-56 penetrating oil in there. That stuff usually does the trick.

If that doesn't work then whatever you construct to pull it out, make sure it pulls absolutely straight upwards.

6. Von Trapp

Ok, I've been pondering all day on how the heck I'd get the posts up. Here's the best thing I can come up with. It might be completely stupid but here's what I'd try: Get a piece of wood shaped like a door stop. put the tailpiece back on. Put felt underneath the door stop thing. Hammer it in underneath the middle of the tailpiece with a dead blow hammer. The angle of the piece of wood would probably have to be really narrow so you don't knock the posts forward but up. Beware though, this is just a theory...

Attached Files:

7. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Good recipie for desaster.

A Y shaped lever under the post head, where the bridge slides in, should do it. Shim it so you have leverage that doesn't mar the guitar finish.

Have you tried pulling with your fingers ? Sometimes they come out real easy.

K.I.S.S.

8. ahbuune

ahbuune New Member

Thanks guys for your help. I managed to get it out although with quite a bit of strength.

I got a pvc cable casing that i scrap it from a piece of cable and wrap it around the post then pull it upwards, the cable casing was very tough and antislip so works very well.

When i got the post and inserts out my dad used 2 "pliers"? And grabbed
    onto each of the post and insert and turn it. The tool he used looks like a plier that can also lock the grip on the item its holding.

But i managed to strip everything apart except having some scratch from the twisting by the pliers.

9. ahbuune

ahbuune New Member

Mind if i ask you folks about something else?
    Sorry I am not sure if I am supposed to start a new thread.

I was refinishing this Epiphone SG and I was wondering how do you refinish the back of the neck especially on the part where there are some clear finish on the side of fretboard.

Am i supposed to sand it off? Then stick some painters tape to cover the side, before painting
    colors over, then lastly apply the clearcoat over the whole neck?

Or should I carefully sand only the colored paint. And stick the painters tape over the side and spray on the new color on the back?

10. Von Trapp

Good show getting it off like that! Put some grease on them when you put them back then so it won't happen again.

The neck, this: "Am i supposed to sand it off? Then stick some painters tape to cover the side, before painting
    colors over, then lastly apply the clear coat over the whole neck?" Masking the whole fretboard and sides when you spray color and the top when you spray clear coat.

11. ahbuune

ahbuune New Member

So sorry if I didnt phrase it properly.

You mean i should sand both the clear and colored finish down then using tape to cover the fretboard sides and so on??

12. Von Trapp

No, I got you perfectly and yes, that's what I meant. Poly finish can take a lifetime to sand down so if it seems to take to long you can use a paint stripper instead, takes about 30 min.

13. DrBGood

Means grease on post threads, not on bushing outsides to slide better it in the guitar :)
    If I remember well, poly laughs at paint stripper.

14. Von Trapp

Could depend on what brand you use but in my experience it's the other way around. I don't give people tips on things I haven't done myself. (unless stated, as above)

15. DrBGood

Could be.

I stripped one with a heat gun. It peeled like it was Duct Tape.

16. JESUSG

JESUSG Active Member

DISASTER.

17. Von Trapp

Sure, that works too but I've never done it that way so I wouldn't be able to advise on the finer points. I chose stripper because it felt safer and easier for me.

18. DrBGood

OK, write me something in French with no error and I'll accept my typo.

TChalms likes this.
  19. Von Trapp

Sur foutre?

20. JESUSG

JESUSG Active Member

je ne parle pas très bien français.