Gibson Stock HBs rings are flat my friends ,

View attachment 37562
Correct ;)

17lpcbfrontupa.jpg

Last edited:

Huntroll

Reaction score
Here's a quote from another forum site :

I got mine from "guitarpartsresource.com".

Fit great, color matched original pickguard better than Gibson rings & the price was great.

The flat bottoms would not fit my '89 GoldTop LP (serious top carve).

Get 'em..... good luck!

Your Honor,

I rest my case.

Last edited:

papagayo

Reaction score
I got mine from "guitarpartsresource.com".
Fit great, color matched original pickguard better than Gibson rings & the price was great.
The flat bottoms would not fit my '89 GoldTop LP (serious top carve).

1989 top has the same carve than other Les Paul year.

Genuine Gibson rings are flat and flat for Les Paul, Explorer, SG, Firebird, etc ...

Aftermarket rings can be different .

20140914_490c31.JPG

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
Three out of four of my current guitars have P-90's which do not require pickup rings. I have an SG Special with Humbuckers that has a tall pickup ring which is flat on the bottom, but wedge-shaped from the side profile. It is installed at the bridge position only and its purpose is to level the pickup with the strings. It is a genuine Gibson Pickup Ring that I purchased online.

full

CreamTone

Reaction score
Sorry I'm late to the party but I just came across this thread today. Allow me to clarify on the flat-vs-curved ring questions:

Vintage rings were flat because they were made from butyrate which is very soft, flexible, and nearly impossible to break. They conform to the top carve as they're tightened down. Look at any photo of a vintage Les Paul and you'll see that the top of the ring is curved like the bottom. That's a sure sign of a flat ring. Curved-bottom rings (usually found on Epiphones) will appear flat on top because the bottom of the ring has been pre-cut to match the top carve so that the ring won't have any stress on it.

Modern rings from suppliers like Allparts, WD, StewMac, etc. are made from cheap plastic and the flat bottoms often crack if you try to install them on an arched top.

Our rings are made from butyrate just like the originals and are guaranteed not to crack. So if you want to be vintage correct, go with our flat butyrate M-69 rings.

Cheers!
Lonnie

CreamTone

Reaction score

I have a tremendous amount of respect for Dan, but he's showing you how to make cheap, brittle plastic pass on your guitar, and there's nothing vintage correct about it.

Sorry, Dan. Still think you rock!
Lonnie

Last edited:

pancake81

Reaction score
I just bought the vintage coarse knurled nut, but it won’t fit into the hole to screw o to my toggle switch. I held it up against my factory Gibson one and they look identical in width, but that sucker just won’t go...

I upgraded knobs (vintage repro), heavy knurled Switchcraft nut, Gibson ABR-1 bridge, etc...

sg_sta66.jpg

Creamtone Pickguard and tenon cover

sg_sta67.jpg

papagayo

Reaction score
Last edited:

MR D

Reaction score

I saw this LIVE when it aired on the Mike Douglas show...I remember even where I was ! I was a little boy when it happened. U can C when Chuckle is horrified when Yo-Yo starts her shrieking/screeeming ! Lennon was the Co-Host for the entire week (5 shows in-a-row, Monday thru Friday @ 4;30PM on Channel 9 WPIX in NYC...1974?), IIRC, and the entire week of shows were the only time I ever watched 'The Mike Douglas Show'. TRULY HISTORIC and i would like to know where that Les Paul Junior Lennon is playing is right now...... I would committ MUTIPLE Felonies to get my hands on that axe ! ...OH I bet its a SCREEEMER even if its a Norlin Era, which IDK if it is.

purple dragon

Reaction score
Philadelphia Luthier Tools have good mounting rings Custom Shop size : Vintage size Butyrate M-69 humbucker rings .
I order a set installed on my ebony '61 RI.
https://www.philadelphialuthiertool...yrate-m-69-humbucker-mounting-ring-set-black/

Vintage correct knobs are perfect.
https://www.philadelphialuthiertool...nobs-black-with-silver-reflector-us-set-of-2/

But are the cheaper one that you posted before same size?just cheaper plastic instead of butyrate?

Latest posts