Teaching bass

Discussion in 'Lessons & Techniques' started by Madmatt, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Madmatt

Madmatt Active Member

So, my girlfriend is learning the bass, and I've kinda been 'teaching' her, (i don't really play bass, so its more supervising)

Sense I know some of you guys are real bassists, do you have any advice?
    What are things it is most helpful for a starting bassist to focus on? And ideas on fun but easy songs to show her ?(she likes alot of metal punk classic rock stuff.. And the Beatles)

Ive got her doing a left and right hand exercises out of a bass book with a metronome. And working on a couple songs right now

2. JohnnyGoo

JohnnyGoo Well-Known Member

dont have a clue of advice but i always liked the Bass line in the Beatles song Tax Man.Paul was/is a great Bass player

3. Madmatt

Madmatt Active Member

Oh definitely! He recorded some killer bass lines

4. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Scales, fretting, and timing ........and finger strength. :naughty:
    But timing for bass......timing is critical.....above all else....keeping that timing---while everyone else is RIFFING and soloing/ improvising and skit skat a skooting all over......solid....consistent.....BOOM. :dude:

5. Madmatt

Madmatt Active Member

Thats what I thought, so I've got her using the metronome like, all the time, maybe build that time sence

6. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Metronome is great for starting. But ---- real playing--- or-- perhaps with recorded music...and distractions.....dogs---kids-- drunk bar maids-- flying monkeys---- you must be one with the BOOM you must embrace the BOOM you must BRING THE BOOM at all costs ...er sorry.....had a moment there

Biddlin and Karathas like this.
  7. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Sit her in a chair and maker her play while you throw pillows at her........she can't miss a beat-----

8. RTH

RTH Active Member

yep, pretty much scales, fretting timing and finger strength. Dont let her do the three finger cheat. Getting that pinky strengthened is tough, but makes everything so much easier in the long run. And being solid is better than being fancy. Oftentimes, bass is less about what notes you play, and more about what notes you dont play.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
    Madmatt likes this.
  9. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

oh yes the pinky----sad part is I have been playing bass so long I use my pinky when I don't even need to ----and many times on 6 strings overshoot the intended fret lol BOOM BABY

10. Madmatt

Madmatt Active Member

Great to hear ur input! Thanks guys!

Good tip on the pinky too!

11. Madmatt

Madmatt Active Member

Dont think shes quite there yet... But ill keep it in mind :smile:

eS.G. likes this.
  12. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Gotta be able to keep time........above all else..... :)

13. Madmatt

Madmatt Active Member

Definitely

14. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

I have taught bass to several women with small hands... one thing I stress is for them to keep
    their thumb behind the neck. If they begin by doing that, then the size of their hands actually is no disadvantage. With your thumb on the back of the neck, your reach goes way up and way down. Small hands have no problem if they start with good habits.

If she likes the beatles, there is a world of bass lines for her to have fun with.
    "I'm Looking Through you" is an excellent basic tune to begin with. Listen to "Helter Skelter"
    together, and put that in the 'Advanced" column, along with 'Don't let me down."
    Play her some old Suzi Quatro... she'll either love it or hate it IMHO. *grins
    Listen to some of Clapton's blues recordings, and have her try some of the blues bass styles,
    and listen to Sting's work with The Police. He's always right in the pocket.

Remind her that the Bass and the Drums must be the foundation of the band. If the bass and the drums
    are tight, then keys and guitar and insane lead singer with harmonica can do any flights of fancy they want
    and the song will come out right in the end. The Bass and the Drums will bring it round. Get her some drum
    tracks to jam with. Get her an instrument that isn't too heavy. Ibanez SR series are great IMHO ...
    she should pick the color. Get her bass setup properly, it will be soooo much easier to play.

I think the Ibanez SR 200 and 300 are hard to beat for a beginner. light and easy to play, and
    they sound good and respond really well to setup. Also, a woman in a band I met at a festival this
    summer plays the hell out of a Hofner violin bass, like McCartney has. I never cared for those personally,
    but in the hands of a woman it looks great. I was like, wow.

Heket, eS.G., dbb and 1 other person like this.
  15. Madmatt

Madmatt Active Member

Thanks for the advice!

Im looking through you is a fun song to listen to, Ive allways thought. Ill play it for her this weekend, see what she says..

She's got a sammic corsair right now, It's a kinda p bass knock off but its slimmer and lighter then the real fenders. It's probably not the best instrment in the world, but she's become attached to it, so I think it'll probably stay. Its black witha white pickguard and I put wedge shaped black knobs on it for her last week and it looks pretty sharp now.

And I agree about the hofner, it does seem to suit female players I've seen with them better.. I know I look like ive stolen some string quartet's instrment when ever I pick one up. Something about the elegant old fashioned design held by a scruffy guy in black leather..

16. Dave_Death

Dave_Death Well-Known Member

Some punk stuff the bass just doubles the rhythm guitar, playing in with the snare and high hat rather than the kick drum. That would be easy enough to teach her. I also found it easy to play in with the kick drum more conventionally. It's a matter of listening for it, and getting used to playing with it. The more she can play along with a drummer the better she will be. She could also play in with a metronome but personally I find those things to have such an irritating sound that I cannot bear them for long. I think she also needs to get used to hearing the different components of a drum kit, so if you can find a drum track she can play along with that is good, otherwise an actual drummer.

Good that she has a light bass. I haven't met too many women who could take the weight of a heavy maple bass for any period of time. Myself I can barely stand mine for more than ten minutes

The Squier VM basses with the agathis bodies - e.g., the Sanders sig Jaguar - are quite light by comparison and would be a good choice if she wants to get used to playing what is a standard type of bass. Also Jazz and Jaguar basses have slim necks

17. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

So all bass players should really start out with John Lee Hooker, then?

eS.G. and dbb like this.
  18. Madmatt

Madmatt Active Member

Thats gona be stuck in my head for the rest of the day now.. Not that i mind that much, really great song

Thanks for the tips!

Drum tracks, definitely something to look into!

19. Dave_Death

Dave_Death Well-Known Member

No worries. I would also underline what people have said about using the pinky and not getting into sloppy habits. I use my pinky all the time when playing guitar, btw.

This is a song that she might like to learn. It is pretty easy except for the last section of the chorus, which will give her something a little challenging to start with. There are bass tabs for the song online.

http://www.songsterr.com/a/wsa/cure-a-forest-bass-tab-s84813t2

It will help her practice stops and it will also require to use the pinky to get through that bit in the chorus. It is a good pace and the drums are easy to pick out. Oh and there's that tricky little bit in the intro too. Use a pick.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
  20. Madmatt

Madmatt Active Member

'The uploader has not made this video available in your country'... Grrrr...

But yeah, I'll definitely make sure she's using that pinky... Definitely important to wath for the bad habits before they form then try and fix them later