Teal Stripe Peavey Envoy 110 information request

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by Raiyn, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I'm the proud owner of a Peavey Envoy 110 so naturally I want to learn more about it, because that's what I do before / when I buy something.
    Unfortunately, other than some fairly basic specs and opinions I'm not finding a lot of useful information on this amp. I managed to download a copy of the manual which was helpful in terms of basic setting ranges, but I want to hear what you folks have to say about it.

It needs a good cleaning and the jacks front and back look like they could benefit from being replaced. They don't seem to have a connection issue, they just look like cat butt. I tried to remove the speaker panel to gain access to the inside of the cabinet to clean it out, but it wouldn't move from the bottom. The top moved back and forth a couple of degrees, but I was running out of time so I just ran the screws back in. I'm guessing there's a slot on the bottom and I'll need to remove the the head section to get it out?
    Also I've seen folks upgrading the speakers on their amps, but I haven't a clue on what to get if I decided to go down that rabbit hole Envoy110.jpg

2. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Dont htink I ever owned an Envoy....had several Backstage models, Rage model, transtube.....Royal 8 tube amp......KB100......and a Bandit. Everyone solid quality and awesome. they are truly built like tanks.
    That amp will last years!!! ROCK IT man.

Raiyn likes this.
  3. Dave_Death

Dave_Death Well-Known Member

Well the Envoy has a 10" speaker so the selection is probably more limited. If it was a 12" I would recommend The Wizard by Eminence. I would have a look through their range, they might have a 10" speaker that suits. I know they made 10" speakers for the 4x10" version of the Classic 50. Maybe look at their RF 10C speaker.

The jacks on old Peaveys just look like that. I would put some contact cleaner on them so that they work fine and just appreciate the 'vintage' scunge.

Raiyn likes this.
  4. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

It already has lasted years, decades even. :) I'm just looking for some more information so I can care and maintain it better than it may have been previously.

Thanks for the info.:cheers: I'd like to do the job properly from the inside, but I guess I could start with the old Q-tip and contact cleaner trick first. While I'm sure I can figure it out given the time; do you, or anyone else, have any insights on getting into it with out wrecking it?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
  5. chilipeppermaniac

chilipeppermaniac Well-Known Member

I own the same exact Envoy. I got mine for $10. I just play it. Never considered trying to give it a "spa" treatment like you are attempting.
    Sorry, no info tidbits here.

Raiyn likes this.
  6. chilipeppermaniac

7. chilipeppermaniac

8. chilipeppermaniac

9. chilipeppermaniac

10. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Now you're making me a bit jealous, I paid the pawn shop $40. My buddy figured it ought to have been going for ~ $80.
    Meh, it sounds good to me and it's still cheap enough for me to tinker with and have a clear conscious.
    Not that I'm complaining, and I do thank you for the information but doesn't EverythingSG allow multiple links per post?

Also, wattages, I'm pretty sure the idea is to go for a speaker rated below the output of your power section in order to get the desired distortion, but what's the general rule of thumb?

11. chilipeppermaniac

At 4:30 AM in the dark in the bedroom, Multiple links as I came across em was just easier

Raiyn likes this.
  12. chilipeppermaniac

13. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

No worries, Bud. Figured I'd ask - that's all. :cheers: I' don't know about the "spa" treatment; it's more like getting the dead spiders out of it and cleaning up the rusty bits to make it more presentable in the house with the side benefit of it getting better maintenance than it had for the last 25 ish years. That's all.

14. Dave_Death

Dave_Death Well-Known Member

Not really. That's a good recipe for blowing a speaker. I use a speaker with twice the power rating of my amp for plenty of clean headroom and a distortion pedal if I need distortion.

smitty_p and eS.G. like this.
  15. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Now see, THIS is why I ask questions from people who know better than I before I start swapping parts. Thanks Dave you probably just saved me some embarrassment right there. I wonder where I got the idea of the lower watt speaker - probably listening to a buddy tell me about how some speakers "break up" nicely at higher volumes.

16. Kep

Kep Well-Known Member

The lower watt speaker idea is not totally off base. I do that with a couple of my amps. For 10" speakers i have had real good luck with the Eminence Ragin Cagun. I have a home made cab that I use with the Tremolux but lately I have been letting the singer use it with his Egnater. It is very durable and sounds fantastic.

17. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

18. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

I like Jensens in Peaveys That is what was in my Royal 8 .....shoulda kept that damn thing

ScottMarlowe likes this.
  19. chilipeppermaniac

Raiyny,,,,,,,,,,,,, I was feeling a little cheeky even at 4:30 am and figured to sum up "give her a good cleaning and detailing job" so I in my simple minded sense of humor said "spa" treatment. HAHA

20. gball

gball Well-Known Member

Those are cool amps. Nice grab.

I'm a fan of 10" speakers and the best sounding one I have ever used is the Celestion Greenback 10. They are pretty expensive though, so I would probably try a WGS Green Beret 10 or ET10 in an Envoy.

chilipeppermaniac likes this.