Tell a story of one of your poor guitars getting destroyed .....

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by zone47, Mar 14, 2013.

1. zone47

zone47 Member

.... or almost getting destroyed!

Can I start here? :confused:

Well, I was in a photo session with my band and we were in this concrete floored warehouse. I had to change clothes for the next set of pictures so I took my bbbbeeeeaUtiful Wine Red 78 Les Paul Custom off and handed it to my soon to be wife. Somehow she drops the whole guitar onto the concrete floor! :shock:

Just the sound of it hitting the floor was enough to kill everyone there .... it was terrible. There was a gasp from those who saw it!! My fiance was like :ohno: and I was like :mad: ... but the most amazing thing was, the headstock survived! The only damage was a chipped binding and bent pickguard! I picked it up and it was still in tune if you can believe that!! :hippie:

Anyway, that incident had broken headstock / neck all over it! :ohno:

NEXT?

2. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

I feel very lucky that I have never had a guitar neck snap on me. Course I never... ever lean a guitar against an amp or chair. I've seen way too many slide over and break. I always use either a solid stand or just set it in the case.

Moose likes this.
  3. nbeersiii

nbeersiii Well-Known Member

Back in 94 it was my senior year of highschool and I had one of those japan made waynes world squire strats. Really awesome sounding and playing guitar. Well we had a little southern rock band and my while playing freebird at a party my buddy handed me a full bottle of mezcal. the big bottle. I killed the whole thing. Before the song ended I smashed that guitar into 50 peices and man I really regret ever having done that. I miss that guitar.

4. iblive

iblive Well-Known Member

My almost 40 year old acoustic is either in my hands or in it's latched case. The ONLY exception is when I play it at church and then it's in a stand... and I hate every minute it sits there. The electrics reside in a stand while not being played. So, long story short, like ORF I have been fortunate in not having a mishap.

5. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

I can't recall ever having that sort of thing happen - but I take really good care of my stuff and am careful of others on stage.

6. Tobacco Worm

Tobacco Worm Well-Known Member

Over the years in the business I've repaired so many guitars that were broken, smashed, and destroyed either by accident or by design of the owner. I got to the point that when a customer responded to my question "You do this on purpose, or was it an accident?" saying that they smashed their guitar for "show", I'd put the parts back in the case and tell them I don't repair "stupid". But I never got an arguement over that either. They knew it was dumb to smash their axe on the floor or stage anyway. They usually ended up seing the shop owner and buying a new guitar. Call me a grumpy oldman, but if one can spend their cash on an instrument meant to last for generations, then delibertly bust it up? Sorry I have no time for them. If it was even a third degree boo-boo (bad accident) , I'd do me very best to restore it to it's proper state and be glad to assist. An "opps" was not one's fault, but a "Hey, watch this!"..... Good bye pal, go see another shop. We LIKE guitars here. :squint:

Wade

dbb likes this.
  7. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

Oh, this is such a painful thread. The guitar that took a bullet was my SG. Yup. It was on one of those guitar stands that holds three guitars. Anyway, the stand got bumped or something and the stand went over and my SG hit the stage and busted the headstock. After much research and accumulation of tools and finishes, I fixed it and you can't even tell anything happened to it, unless you examine the back by the volute.

That was many years ago and the guitar has been fine and heavily played, ever since. However, it was one of the most sickening feelings I ever had.

Now, let me get controversial. I have a really hard time with anyone who smashes a guitar on stage, especially when I think of how much the rest of us scrimp and save to get a nice guitar, and when I remember how shocked I was to have my guitar get broken.

It's a bit of a psychological thing, perhaps, but I don't care if its Jimi Hendrix lighting a Strat on fire, Pete Townshend smashing an SG, Paul Stanley busting an Ibanez Iceman, or Ritchie Blackmore destroying a Stratocaster. Whenever I see this sort thing I just cringe. I don't think its cool at all. I realize these guys don't owe me anything, and it doesn't mean they can't play guitar. But, I'm not impressed.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
    Robus, Susihukkanen and Tobacco Worm like this.
  8. sgtbeefheart

sgtbeefheart Well-Known Member

My '62 Kay Jazz2 never had a case.

In '67, coming back from a gig, I was in the back of a small van
    with my Kay, and driver and one front passenger.

Inexplicably, the passenger thought it would be fun to grab the
    wheel and veer from side to side.

We hit a verge, turned over, and somersaulted for about 100 yds
    down the road, eventually coming to a stop upside down.

The two guys in the front were thrown out, but I scrambled out.

We wandered around in shock, apparently unable to stop swearing.

Suddenly, somebody said, "your guitar".

You can imagine my thoughts and feelings, it had been thrown around
    in the back, along with me.

I asked one of them to get it, I couldn't face it.

We were all shocked when he handed it to me, no dents, no scratches,
    no breaks and one string out of tune.

The front passenger was even luckier, in that he was thrown out.

Above his seat, the roof had been caved in to a sharp point
    where his head had been.

9. shreddy bender

shreddy bender Well-Known Member

let's see... we were all drinking way too much rum for 10 people and things were said and a guitar went flying across the room. the headstock broke. i repair the headstock break. several weeks later we were drinking too much rum for 10 people and things were said and the same guitar went flying across the room. the neck joint broke. lets just say i don't drink rum and play guitar at the same time any more!
    the guitar has been fixed and apologized to profusely!

happy_tom and iblive like this.
  10. Susihukkanen

Susihukkanen Well-Known Member

I feel very uncomfortable to see guitars destroyed on stage for the show purpose. The only exception is the counterfeited fake guitars made in purpose of stealing someones money and claiming it is a real original product. Those belong in waste chipper..

11. sgtbeefheart

sgtbeefheart Well-Known Member

I felt a similar uneasy feeling In '67, when I saw Denny Laine's Electric String Band at Middle Earth in Covent garden, London.

In one song he broke a string during his solo, and at the end he
    threw it backwards over his head onto the stage.

This is him with the guitar, [​IMG]

On a lighter note, I saw Johnny Kidd and the Pirates around '63/64,
    and as he was waving his cutlass around, he chopped the headstock off the bass guitar.

I was at a party last Summer, and the bass player was there, but I forgot
    to talk to him.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  12. iblive

iblive Well-Known Member

I'm with you. I never understood it... and still don't. I've watched video of early Who concerts where Pete's smashing up his guitar... Keith is destroying the drum kit.... Roger is doing... what ever it was Roger did. The only sane guy in the group was John.

13. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Entwhistle was my equipment caring model - not the other guys!

14. zone47

zone47 Member

Some good stories here!! :D :ohno:

I had a beautiful 78 Wine Red Les Paul Custom (the same one at the start of this thread) and when Eddie Van Halen came out, I thought woW !!! I need to get something with a tremelo!!! Well, buying a second guitar just didn't make sense back then, so I figured I'd kill two birds with one stone and have a Kahler trem installed on the Les Paul.

What I killed was the tone of that Guitar. The first chord I strummed after getting it out of the shop was thin!

Thin

Thin

Thin! :mad:

I tweeked, the tone knobs, I tweeked the amp I turned it up ..... but it was still THIN!

What a waste of a great guitar! :(

Another time, I had the same Les Paul on a stand and I had a total piece of CRAP $50 bass leaning up against the wall. The bass slides and smashes against the Les Paul. One of the big bass tuning keys takes a chunk out of the face of the guitar. I was so pissed, I wanted to smash the bass in a million pieces, but the damage was already done and nothing was going to change it! :squint:

Moose likes this.
  15. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

In the mid 70s, my only mode of transportation had two wheels . I could carry my black salvaged Strat and Yamaha amp strapped to the back rest and tank respectively with little difficulty, most of the time . One night, running late for a gig at Travis Airbase's O club, I exited the freeway and at the apex of the turning ramp, a farm truck had rolled and dumped produce on the roadway . The bike went down on the right side, I slid off onto a bed of lettuce and watched the Enfield slide over the curbing and into a cyclone fence . I got up and after a brief inventory of body parts, walked over to check the damage . A testament to my knot tying skills, both items were still attached to the bike, although the sissy bar was cocked at a new angle . Anyone who's owned a Royal Enfield Interceptor will tell you, the bike was fine . A quick visual inspection showed ripped tolex on the amp and guitar case, but the Strat was in one piece, so I went on to the gig, where all functioned fine, and I kept my right butt cheek to the wall, so no one would notice the missing bits from my trousers . My old rythym player is still using both guitar and amp. Biddlin ;>)/

Susihukkanen likes this.
  16. Tobacco Worm

:thumb:

Only our Biddlin can "fly by the seat of his pants" and pull it off with style!:applause:

Biddlin and dbb like this.
  17. nbeersiii

nbeersiii Well-Known Member

Strats are tough man. That strat that i finally broke didnt even dent on the first, second, or third swing. I ended up taking it to a tree before I got any real results. I wish I had never done stupid crap when I was young.

18. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

This thread seemed to be about really trashing guitars....so far so good.

But - in all honesty, even though I've tried to take great care of my instruments, **** happens.

Wade knows- you think like a tech, you ain't gonna trash anything if you can help it...It's just more work for yourself later.

Thus, there are all the LITTLE stories, like how when I'm working on my new Davison lovely 70's Norlins SG copy, i get all the pickups changes, the setup finished.....and then I have no idea what caused two tiny large pinhead size holes in the poly finish to appear....and to this day they are the only flaws in the cheap thick red finish on a nice guitar body.

Now I've seen stuff that will scare the pants off you.

Like a great dumbek player...and seeing his prize ceramic drum knocked into bits by a fool that didn't even realize that he'd hit a drum!

Or the fiddler, wonderful girl, that after too many drinks fell on her 100 year old fiddle.

And so on.....

19. Tobacco Worm

Yes sir, I recall an interview with Buddy Guy about when touring Africa, his strat was bounced off the top of a land rover vehicle and into the road. He said they were moving pretty fast across the open plains road and when the case hit the ground, it nearly out ran the land rover before they could stop as the case slid and bounced all over the road. The case was demolished but the Strat had only a broken string and a small dent or two.

Yeah, I'd say Strats are tough indeed! I've seen 'em take hits that would cripple a SG or a LP, and yet the Strat would often be just fine, and likely still in tune! Amazing...

20. Heket

Heket Well-Known Member

I've never trashed any guitar, especially as I don't take them anywhere and I only have 2, one of them being only a few months old.

That said, my old red Squier strat has 2 large chips in the paintwork which my younger self had filled in with red nail varnish :thumb:. There was me thinking that poly stuff was uncrackable. Don't ask how I did it, I have NO idea. Other than that I generally take good care of my instruments.

Oh but I did spill nail varnish remover on my keyboard, which ate away at the surface of the keys before I could mop it up. Still sounds fine though!