Tell Him He's Dreamin'

SG standard

Reaction score
Great idea... :)

Not a crazy price, but the strangest description I've read on Gumtree.

There's a dealer in the UK with a rare limited run Les Paul from the 80s, he keeps trying to sell it for '57 burst money, but of course it doesn't sell. I guess he's willing to wait. The trouble is, over the years he's let 'select' customers play it (i.e. people who were interested, but didn't want it after playing it!), and now the gold hardware is looking worn. So now it doesn't even look like the 'new old stock' condition he still thinks it's in. I'll post a link next time I see it.

Steve D

Reaction score
Great idea... :)

Not a crazy price, but the strangest description I've read on Gumtree.
I don't know why but for some reason that reminds me of how for a long time people sold sporting tickets on ebay and had to make up fake auctions to pull it off. Selling tickets was not permitted I guess so they would put some random old baseball or football card or whatever card and say something like "You are bidding on a 1989 Buck Smith football card. Smith played backup punter on the Cleveland Browns where he set no records and recorded no playing time in his terrible and short career. He was cut immediately after they took this photo and never played a single down in the NFL. Due to his lack of accomplishments and total invisibility as a player, this card is hard to find because it was typically thrown away immediately by anyone who ever got one. And now it can be yours! P.S. As an added bonus, to the winner of this auction as a gift I am including two tickets to the Super Bowl completely free! Starting Bid: $2,500"

Steve D

Reaction score
By the way, I don't have a specific example but if you go to ebay and search for Gibson SG and then sort price high to low, you will see a ton of guitars from Japan (not made in japan, sold from Japan) that have ridiculous prices. Like there will be an original '61 SG Special in near mint condition for $6,000 (okay, that's ballpark what they go for) and then bang! the next listing (also from Japan) is a 2005 SG '61 VOS Reissue for $6,000 (wait, whut?). Then a little further down a 2017 SG Standard for $4,000. I just scan them and think "this has to be some sort of elaborate money laundering scheme or something, because otherwise it makes no sense!"

Chubbles

Reaction score
I can give you an example if you want. People in Philadelphia sell gear on Craigslist for virtually new prices. New: 270.00, price 257.00. I can do better from Guitar enter and they have a return policy.

plankton

Reaction score
People in Philadelphia sell gear on Craigslist for virtually new prices. New: 270.00, price 257.00.

I can't imagine they're doing much selling with that sort of pricing strategy, and if they are who are the dumb asses who are paying too much for stuff?

It's not hard these days to work out what market value is on an item. That Strat I posted above is at a local pawnbroker chain, and they often have things listed way too high and they just sit there. You'd think eventually they'd get a clue and move some stock.

My favourites are ads that make a point of telling you that they're asking a really fair price, when anyone who can use a computer and read knows they're clearly not.

hesdreamin.png

plankton

Reaction score

plankton

Reaction score
$800 AUD for a 13 year old Chinese G400 with a hardcase?

Epiphone SG Cherry Red Eclectic Guitar with Gator hard case
$800

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/woo...lectic-guitar-with-gator-hard-case/1254906734

Even if it is eclectic, you know what to tell him.

gLcxp4B.png

plankton

Reaction score
Haven't posted in this thread for awhile, but this guy trying to sell three Epiphones had to be mocked.

2009 Epiphone '58 Korina Explorer & Artist Hardshell Case​

$1,500

2011 Epiphone '58 Korina Explorer Black​

$1,400

Epiphone G-400 Les Paul (SG) Custom with Hardshell Case​

$1,300

0izkpRe.jpg

jtees4

Reaction score
I honestly don't care what people ask....it's what they SELL FOR that matters. I do not pay more than I am willing to pay, and if I do....then I was still willing to pay it ;-) Speaking of which...I picked up a mint 2014 SG Standard 61 (a GC special run)....absolutely amazing guitar, the guy was selling at a reasonable price because he HAD to have a Pelham blue SG re-issue. So I apid up and didn't even ask for anything off (which I normally do).

odcf9To.jpg

MR D

Reaction score
I honestly don't care what people ask....it's what they SELL FOR that matters. I do not pay more than I am willing to pay, and if I do....then I was still willing to pay it ;-) Speaking of which...I picked up a mint 2014 SG Standard 61 (a GC special run)....absolutely amazing guitar, the guy was selling at a reasonable price because he HAD to have a Pelham blue SG re-issue. So I apid up and didn't even ask for anything off (which I normally do).

odcf9To.jpg
NICE !!!! REALLY NICE !!! I LIKES IT !!! When you get what you want, sometimes....... price doesn't matter !!!

plankton

Reaction score

So many people are asking stupid money for older Epiphones around here ATM.

Epiphone Korina Flying V (2007)​

$1,350

Epiphone Korina Explorer (2007)​

$1,350

gLcxp4B.png

Latest posts