That Band/Artist that you "just don't get"

Discussion in 'General Music' started by mrk, Dec 10, 2011.

1. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Nah, one LICK over and over....:laugh2:

2. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

Aaaah ... I see said the blind man to his deaf wife
    who was not listening anyway because she was
    too busy turning on the radio.
    The same LICK.
    Well, that's a completely different story.

3. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

I will not bait Tony.
    I will not bait Tony.
    I will not bait Tony.
    I will not bait Tony.
    I will not bait Tony.
    I will not bait Tony.

4. Steve P

Steve P Active Member

Rap and hip hop with a few exceptions.
    pop music anything along the lines of lady gaga, justin bieber etc...
    punk rock like green day, sum 41 etc..
    death metal with really overly distorted voices
    emo slit my wrist i hate life kind of music

5. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

A man after my own tastes....who can argue with that?
    I'll add "I'm gonna sing my self-absorbed diary entries over a couple fingerpicked chords" singer-songwriter drivel.

6. stdio

stdio Member

There are a whole swath of alternative bands from the '90s, that supposedly had "indie cred" or whatever, that really did not have talent. It's disappointing to me because they would have been my contemporaries, if I ever pursued music formally, but there really aren't many bands in my own age group that I either like, admire, or respect at a basic level.

Wish it were otherwise, but that's that.

7. Steve P

Steve P Active Member

hilarious!

i think im one of the few people of my generation who hate pop and hip hop, which seems to be what everyone my age listens to. to me, every song sounds the same.

dont care for grunge either.

8. Tenafly Viper

Tenafly Viper Member

Wow I am amazed at all of the completely unbelievable revolutionary bands you guys just dismiss. I will say that as far as bands I don't get the main mainstream band I don't get is Dave Matthews. I know he speaks to a lot of people, I'm just not one of them. I don't click with the instrumentation.

Also what is Gaga doing in any of this? Are we really not understanding dance pop music? You don't have to like it, but what isn't to get?

I guess there is don't like, and don't get. No one seems to make the distinction here. Also it is easy to not "like" AC/DC, but if you don't get them, then you're just plain stupid.

9. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Hmmm, good points.

I never "got" Dave Matthews either, but I do see how he could have a large following, they are good musicians, just not my thing.

Gaga, Katy Perry, Bieber, etc. are part of the long tradition of simply pop dance music; along with rap/hip-hop and modern country, the biggest selling stuff on the market.

Do I listen to and "consume" this music? No. Do I "get it" in terms of the industry and audience? Yes.

I think the whole point of this thread is to mention artists that are very popular (and thus considered "good") that somehow we don't "get". What get in this context means, though, is a bit nebulous!

For me it means even though you know they can play, it ain't my thing. Thus,
    a band like AC/DC, that is both "popular" and "good" isn't my thing-
    I am no big fan of the rock-party-Hell-oriented lyrics, etc.- but I know they are one of the top bands among SG fans and do appreciate Angus and Malcolm as guitarists - but would love to hear them in a band that did more uplifting songs. So at least I'm not plain stupid - maybe "extra-fancy" stupid, though.

But hey, then they wouldn't be the AC/DC we all know and (mostly) love!

10. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

I can't say I get or don't get these guys, but the Leningrad Cowboys (who are neither Cowboys, nor are they from Leningrad) are often good for some comic relief. Check out the hair and shoes.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x75Gxd5IDE&feature=related"]Leningrad Cowboys. "Gimme all your lovin" - YouTube[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxzItqgWMDQ&feature=related[/ame]

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  11. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

"@ZEP
    I’m pretty sure I know why someone don’t dig ZEP live, they were not trying to do the same thing you listened on the recorded versions, much on the contrary"

That being the case, they were totally successful in their endeavor because the records were good and much on the contrary, they sucked live.

12. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

re:Zep

That being the case, they were totally successful in their endeavor because the records were good and much on the contrary, they sucked live.[/QUOTE]

Correction my dear sir - they sucked way too often live for a legendary band.

Bands like that are supposed to have some great nights, mostly good nights, and a few off nights over a tour, career, what have you. But Zep fell prey to the drug/alcohol/groupie thing a bit too often for a band that many consider one of if not the best ever.

Yes, Pagey hurt his finger on one tour, yada yada yada.....but I bet if they behaved a bit better on tour they would have been able to sound better too.

It's no excuse what Plant did to his voice, which by the live album had lost much of its high range and some of the character of those first 4-5 records.

Plus, Page produced what was at the time an industry standard studio sound with his "guitar army", drum production, etc. His way to fill up the sound live was turn up the amp, but that only went so far.

But hey, when he was on, he was ON.

We've had this talk about Zep live on several threads. I officially let them rest in peace along with Bonzo feeling very lucky I saw them on a early night in a tour when they were well rested in a city they liked enough to park that airplane for days.

13. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

I am more than willing to let them rest in peace but everytime they are
    declared the be all end all Gods of rock I think about bands like the Who
    and Deep Purple that could completely bury them on any given night.
    and Cream
    and Jefferson Airplane
    and the Moody Blues
    and the list goes on and on and on.
    "Gods of Rock" my foot.
    The majority of their shows were not worthy of the status they enjoyed.
    On most nights they cheated their audience.
    The live recordings and the movies testify to this unequivically.
    If you showed up for a gig too stoned to play would that venue rehire you?

I think not.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
    dbb, Kevy Nova and smitty_p like this.
  14. Kevy Nova

Kevy Nova Well-Known Member

Whoa, I am not alone in thinking that ALL of those bands were WAY better than Zeppelin live? I would also throw in Yes, Ten Years After, Fleetwood Mac, Jimi Hendrix Experience (and Band Of Gypsies for that matter) and a ton of other bands.

Of course, I WORSHIPPED Page and Zeppelin when I was 15 years old but the more I discovered how many songs they blatantly stole, and the more live recordings I heard, not to mention Page dating a 14 year old when he was 28, I have just lost all respect for them. Their albums DO sound great, but I think a lot of people over-look Eddie Kramer, who was Jimi Hendrix' sound engineer before he worked for Zeppelin. He had a HUGE hand in how those albums sounded.

15. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

Eddie Kramer also did ELP.
    "Are you ready Eddie?"

Kevy Nova likes this.
  16. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Good point about Kramer.

As for Yes, THAT was my favorite band in the early 70's when all my friends were Zep freaks.

As far as sheer musicianship, Yes, MY favorite, and other bands like Deep Purple, Jethro Tull, were so consistently good, as numerous bootlegs show, that it was rare to get a bad concert.

Lots of other groups were really good live too. Edgar Winter with Ronnie Montrose did a KILLER show in the "Frankenstein " era.

Kevy Nova likes this.
  17. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Now those guys could really play. I caught the "Brain Sald Surgery" tour, man they burned the place up. All of them were brilliant, but Emerson smoked the place with some of the most serious keyboard work I ever heard.

"Welcome back my friends...."

18. stdio

stdio Member

I've decided to cut Led Zeppelin some slack on live performance. Basically, Robert Plant's entire vocal style destroys a singer's voice. Everyone who's done it...Robert Plant, David Coverdale, even Bon Jovi...has killed their voice in the long run. It's like if there were a popular style of playing guitar that eventually left you crippled.

If live Led Zep on youtube is any indication, it only took a few years to take a toll on Robert Plant's voice. I recall some of the songs from the BBC sessions had him in great form though.

One guy who completely blows me away is Arnel Pineda (Journey). I spent an entire afternoon on youtube just watching his stuff, really incredible. I guess in the Philipines karaoke is a big national pastime. He can do of ton of voices. I don't think doing Steve Perry will kill his voice, but does all the other guys too, so catch em while he's young:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMsaY7c_i5k"]Arnel Pineda - Black Dog 3-12-11 @ Rockville - YouTube[/ame]

19. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

I beg to offer another opinion - any singer that trashes his voice is NOT singing properly. Period.

Read "Breaking Through - From Rock to Opera - The basic Technique of Voice" by Gloria Bennet, vocal teacher to stars like (not my fave but hey) Axl Rose, who according to Bennet "has the sweetest tenor voice, which you might never know from his stage act"

She states that "forcing the voice" and abuse are the big punishers. "Screaming and rough treatment of the voice contribute to spectacularly short singing careers". She also suggest that rock singers in particular need warm ups AND cool downs due to the demands placed on the vocal chords from rock singing. Other things that degrade the voice are health issues, diet, alcohol and drug abuse, etc.

So although I agree that many singers do thrash their voices, it is not because of the music but because of bad technique (even a "great songer" can have bad technique) and lifestyle issues.

From what I've heard recently Ian Gillen still sounds pretty damn good.
    Apart form a couple years dealing with asthma Jon Anderson is sounding very good live; Ian anderson's voice is still going strong, and Sir Paul still sings pretty well most of the time.

Sing rock is not the reason these voices crashed and burned - it was they WAY they did it.

20. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

From what I've heard recently Ian Gillen still sounds pretty damn good.
    - David -

So does Annie Haslam.