the '86-89 SG-62 (1962 "reissue") info thread

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by VonPrikler, Jun 26, 2013.

1. ruster1

ruster1 Active Member

Ivan, the pups in my 86 R-62 look very similar except the brass screws..

IMG_1761.JPG IMG_1764.JPG

2. PL29

PL29 New Member

I'll post pictures when I can, but I just got a '87 SG-62. Some things to note:

-PAF stamp pickups, no date.
    -Very slim neck, certainly thinner than anything Gibson has put out in recent memory including '61 Reissues or the 2013 SG Standards.
    -Neck is no wider than most Gibsons, but feels that way because the neck doesn't have as much beef... so you feel the edges more when gripping the neck. At the shop it measured exactly the same as other Standards and Reissues, 1.695"/43mm.
    -Super low action, like an Ibanez Prestige.
    -Quality wise it's a wonderful instrument, but I think well of contemporary SG standards. Doesn't seem to have any annoying issues like a wrongly cut nut or fret sprout, but the different feeling mostly comes from the 32-years old nitro finish and the abnormally thin neck.

I researched and shopped around a while until I found something near me... doesn't seem to be easy to find a SG-62 in very good condition nowadays. Every other one I saw for sale had either a headstock or heel repair and most of the rest were very worn, some in dire need of a refinish. There's a very cheap one for sale that just came up a few hours over from me, but the neck looks like ripped wallpaper lol. I suppose this was a popular player's model produced during a time Gibson wasn't churning out too many guitars.

3. TC Marin

TC Marin New Member

I have an 87 SG 62 reissue in excellent shape with upgraded tuners and locking strap buttons. What is the real value these days?

Dave likes this.
  4. Steve D

Steve D Well-Known Member

In 1985 you could buy a 1965 SG for less than and 1985 SG. Lots less.

PermissionToLand likes this.
  5. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

Depends on a few things. An all original model in excellent condition with Shaw PUs could probably go as high as $1800.
    The "upgraded" tuners will actually hurt the value.

6. Jeff Bolin

Jeff Bolin New Member

I've got a Nov. 1987, 62 Reissue. Bought it sometime in 2005 from a good friend who had kept it immaculate. I unfortunately... Have not kept it immaculate. It's a work horse of a guitar and I've used it as my main guitar for hundreds and hundreds of shows. I'm not 100% sure what pickups are in it, but I know the guy that had it before me send them to Lindy Fralin to have them wax potted. The only thing that is not original on it are the tuning machines. I was putting a set of strings on it back sometime in 2009 and one of them just fell apart. I bought a set of Klusion tuners that matched what was on there, except the new tuners screwed down on the string and locked it. It looked a bit goofy to me at first, but are actually great tuning machines. The neck on mine is very thin. I've played the newer '61 reissues and those necks are a tad thicker, but not bad. The Standards are telephone poles compared to my neck. I love the guitar and have toured and played many shows with it.

Dave likes this.
  7. MajorMinus

MajorMinus New Member

I have a December 1989 SG-62. I bought it slightly used in 1991 as a teenager after saving up my money. Its in very good condition as it spent a lot of time in the case during my time in the Army. It has the Circuit board pickups and a thin but solid neck. Pickups sound great to me, i'm not sure why there is a lot of hate for them. Also, this guitar stays in tune. Always. I'm a big string bender kind of guy, even the G string stays in. Heavy chords a la Pete Townshend...stays in tune. Every other SG I have ever played felt like it had a huge neck and I couldn't play it right. The ads said it was "the fastest neck in the world". Not sure how true that is today, but it is a very fast neck. I will never get rid of this guitar.

8. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

Is the horn different shape on a '62 Ri ?

Temp 4325.jpg

Dave likes this.
  9. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

No it's just the different angle of those pictures

SG standard likes this.
  10. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

The pickguard is different ?

11. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

The pickguard is different. In a bad looking way. Lumpy and melty in the cutaway point.

That’s really the only thing I don’t like about mine.

12. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

Interesting.
    Here's a pic of mine from earlier in the thread. My 86 on top seems to have a pickguard closer to the original. My 90 (no longer have it) on the bottom has the different pickguard like the one in Papagayo's pic.

[​IMG]

ruster1, papagayo and Norton like this.
  13. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

unfortunately mine is the melty lumpy one. I should really get that fixed

14. Jr159753

Jr159753 New Member

its the first time I notice that difference in the pickguard, mine is a 89 with the "less pointy" pickguard :

I had it for about 1800$ reffreted with stainless, no broken neck and some boutique PAF repro

[​IMG]

Dave likes this.
  15. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

mine came set up with a bill Lawrence "circuit board" in the bridge and a stamped pat number pickup in the neck. and 2! mini toggles.

and both of them were for phase flipping! sometimes stupid is just hard to understand. they're gone now. but they made the guitar cheeeeeaaap.

one of those "vintage wide middle ply" 5 ply pickguards would really make an improvement on the visual vibe.

I need to make that happen.

16. catstudioguitars

catstudioguitars Member

Real mother of pearl inlays on these or?

17. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

no. not mop. the inlays are acrylic or something similar. not the Italian celluloid

18. ruster1

ruster1 Active Member

20190314_204912_resized.jpg Not sure what these inlays are but they are fantastic.. This early 86 (April 11) plays like butter.. likes an overwrap on the tail and bends like a dream.. these PAT # but no stamp pups are excellent.. i keep picking this guitar up.. plays like a dream.. very light and very thin neck.. I remember getting the calipers out. 0.80 at 1st and 0.82 at 12th... very thin.. some great vibrato when leaning on this neck.. Any new R62 owners out there? View attachment 42452

Dave likes this.
  19. ezypikins

ezypikins Member

My friend had what he called a 62 some years ago. Weather or not it actually was, may be another story. But I could swear I remember it having the output jack on the edge of the guitar like a Tele. Only one I ever saw with the jack on the edge. Anyone ever see this?

20. ruster1

ruster1 Active Member

The 1980's standards had the output jack on the outer edge. The R62 and reissue 61 were typical SG layout. My R62 is from 1986 but catalogs do not seem to show BOTH the standard and the R62. I wish someone had some literature to show this. All 1985 SG would have had the side jack.

PermissionToLand likes this.