the '86-89 SG-62 (1962 "reissue") info thread

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by VonPrikler, Jun 26, 2013.

1. catstudioguitars

catstudioguitars Member

Here is my 86, which ive had for a few months. Tim Shaw pickups.

Attached Files:

PermissionToLand and ruster1 like this.
  2. ruster1

ruster1 Active Member

Great looking 86. !! nice vintage Marshall Blondie as well.. I find the Shaw pups some of the best i have .. my 76 SG i put a set of Vineham T-tops (6070's) in and it also sounds great with amazing clarity as well.. i bought that guitar with a set of 498T and 490R so I never got to hear the tarbacks.. The body on the R62 is definitely smaller than traditional SG's.. the Wiki has a great picture of an overlay of the R62 on a 61 reissue body.. quite a difference.. I put a set of shaller tuners on mine in 1990 but kept the original Kluson type.. I hear the new Kluson revolution tuners are great as well for vintage vibe and 19:1 ratio.. (I believe they have a locking set as well)

3. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

I think that's actually an illusion created by deeper beveling on the '86. Because pickguards are cut from a template by machines, whereas bevels are done by hand (back then, anyway).

The fretboard inlays have always been swirled acrylic, even in the 1960s. Only the headstock inlays were ever Mother of Pearl.

Correct.

I can help you out; here is the 1986 catalog, the only one I've found with both models displayed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Weirdly the "SG-62" they show is clearly not an SG-62; the body shape and pickguard look accurate, the headstock is not the wider, pointier style of the '80s but correct for a '60s SG, the tuners are double ring... but unlike a real 1963-1964, it has a stopbar. So what the heck is this thing? Either a '63/64 modified with a stopbar (and refinished to cover the screw holes?) or a prototype, which raises even more questions; if the prototype was already more accurate than the final result, what happened?

I would love to speak with somebody involved in the SG-62 development.

Dave and ruster1 like this.
  4. ruster1

ruster1 Active Member

Do you think the Henry J era began with the SG-62 or was it already in the works. I don't see Norlin era having much to do with it as they were for sale for so long and most likely would not have invested time and money in the project!

5. PermissionToLand

I think it had to be in the works already, because he bought Gibson the same year it was released. I can't find what month the sale was finalized, but the SG-62 was already being built early into the year. Here's one from only two months into 1986:

https://www.gbase.com/gear/gibson-sg-standard-62-reissue-1986-cherry

6. ruster1

ruster1 Active Member

I love mine.. and it was from early April 86 .. the shaw pups are really great..crystal clear but thick and meaty sounding..

PermissionToLand likes this.
  7. PermissionToLand

I was very close to buying one at one point.

I came across this one which had the pickguard replaced with a more accurate version with a wide bevel and it makes a huge difference.

[​IMG]

Norton, arcticsg and ruster1 like this.
  8. ruster1

ruster1 Active Member

It was my first SG and it was heritage cherry.. bought it for $300 in 1990 as the store owner told me his buddy could not keep it in tune.. I asked if it had a case and he ended up giving me an old gibson rectangular case. I did not notice it was different then.. the guard does not bother me.. but now I notice the body is smaller for sure.. just picked up a metallic green robot (de-robotted).. from 2008 bit this SG-62 plays far better..

Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
    Dave likes this.
  9. tbanning

tbanning New Member

Desperate to find my 89 I bought as a teenager. Sold in 2007 to an estranged uncle. Speed dials and chrome (not nickle) modern klusons. Chrome bridge too. Knicks all over especially on the headstock. Dream about this thing.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
    ruster1 likes this.
  10. ruster1

ruster1 Active Member

I hear you.. think about the guy who could not keep mine in tune and sold it for a song back in the early 90's.. lucky me.. that guitar is why i joined this forum for sure.. love finding out about those oddballs.. my guitar when setup plays like butter and stays in tune nicely.. it needed a bit of nut smoothing.. new tuners and an overwrap.. now its amazing.. simple fixes.. keeping those original tuners of course..

chilipeppermaniac likes this.
  11. ruster1

ruster1 Active Member

The controls on the SG-62 are certainly located in close proximity to the side of the guitar for sure.. a bit cramped..

12. chilipeppermaniac

chilipeppermaniac Well-Known Member

Nice thread on some nuances and history.

I love bring back old threads,. F anyone who mocks the process.

MGUEST likes this.
  13. ruster1

ruster1 Active Member

Hey, someone who buys one of these older gems is "NEW" to them.. so yeah.. keep moving on.. nothing to see here if you don't like it..

chilipeppermaniac likes this.
  14. chilipeppermaniac

chilipeppermaniac Well-Known Member

I agree ruster,

I feel as if something is on the internet, it doesn't matter if it was posted and good resource info from 1992, the same info can be as good or better in usefulness to someone who needs it, today in almost 2021.

So what if it is what people call necro, or a dead thread.

Heck, until I read around on 61 RI's or 62 RI's I would never have known about differences in the necks, scratch guard, pickups, etc etc on the 2.

Now if anyone wants to ask me why I am even posting about 61's and 62's, it is because I was one who knew nothing of them because I was mostly a SG Special owner. Standards were too expensive and usually had those thin necks that I usually pass up on.

ruster1 likes this.
  15. Henry F. Chinaski

Henry F. Chinaski New Member

Hello all
    Signed up to respond to this thread.
    I bought a 62 reissue sg used 30 years ago at a shop in Boston. It dates to January 1987. This one is odd. The pots date to ‘85 and the pickups are tar backs that date to 1984. The soldering looks to be original. I’ve heard that sometimes guitars leave the factory with parts that are a little unusual.
    Anyway, this one has fallen over at multiple gigs and has has heel and headstock breaks. Just put new strings on it and it sounds great. The only thing I might change are the tuners. They’re beginning to feel like the might melt off in my hands.

16. PermissionToLand

First time I've heard of Tarbacks in an SG-62, but I could entertain the possibility of it. The '85 pots would seem to corroborate it. Are you sure it's a Reissue though? A lot of people confuse them with the Standard of that era, which also had the small pickguard but the switch was moved and the output jack on the side of the body.

[​IMG]

The Standard used Tarbacks until 1984.

However, as we also saw with a recent contentious thread on an '87 SG-62 Custom that has 1978 T-Tops, it's also possible that a previous owner swapped them.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
    ruster1 likes this.
  17. ruster1

ruster1 Active Member

Hello Henry and welcome.. my SG62 was the reason I joined this platform.. knew Nothing about it.. glad I joined here as the experts are in one place.. love my 86 version with shaw pups I bought in 1990 for a song as the previous owners could not keep it in tune.. a nut polish and some shallers and it's my favorite guitar.. not sure about the tarbacks either but it's possible.. the 85 pots could also be possible.. some pics of the body might help.. welcome!!

PauloQS likes this.
  18. Henry F. Chinaski

Thanks for the replies!
    Definitely a 62 reissue; input Jack on the top. It tore out at a gig years ago and has a bit of an ugly repair. I’ve learned a lot about repairing guitars through the years on this one and others. pro tip: if you drink enough to fall off a stage-play a fender.

PermissionToLand and ruster1 like this.
  19. Henry F. Chinaski

Fun footnote on this guitar:
    I got this at a buy one get one free guitar sale. Second guitar at an equal or lesser value was free. I got the sg, the other guitar player in the band got a les Paul.
    Pretty fun day

20. MGUEST

MGUEST New Member

hi folks...i am lookin at a 1987 SG re-issue and it looks good, but can you tell me if these are Tim Shaw p'ups? imagejpeg_1.jpg imagejpeg_2.jpg imagejpeg_1.jpg imagejpeg_2.jpg