The Boss Katana Amp Club

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by DFLCC, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I'm still waiting for the multichannel NuTube amps. The MV series looks promising, but there's so much potential they're leaving on the table especially since they showed the prototype head that encompasses what I want at NAMM 2016.

2. SG FIRST TIMER

SG FIRST TIMER Active Member

Did i understand guitar god dude correctly ? Was he demoing the head but said at the end he was running it thru a preamp. Are the mini tubes in the preamp or the head or both ? And is it gonna sound the same without the preamp ? Cause it did sound good, and i'm usually not impressed by utube demos.

3. lcw

lcw Active Member

4. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

VT120+ ? Yeah, that must be friggin' loud. I had the AD50VT and it was LOUD.

5. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

No, that's not what he said.
    The NuTubes (they're a form of Vacuum Florescent Display) are in both the preamp and power sections of the amp.

It does sound damn good, and while I'm impressed with the little MV's, you can't just show me the steak dinner that is the prototype head and hand me a Happy Meal.

6. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Well-Known Member

I just wanted to pop back in and issue a formal apology for my ragging on the Katana 50. Actually, no, that's not quite right - I stand behind everything I said about that particular model. But I will follow it up by saying that I got to put a 100 through it's paces this morning and HOLY MOLY. I friggin' loved it.

I'm not sure if it's the presence knob or just the bigger cabinet, but it actually sounded like the amp itself was producing the sounds and not like it was just re-producing a canned tone like I felt the 50 was doing. But I had just gotten through trying a DSL15C (which was too fizzy at low volumes), and while the 100 was noticeably darker-sounding, the punch and feel was totally there in the 100... I also had it on the 0.5 watt mode with the amp volume and master volume at about 3/4s and this thing was LOUD. With the presence and mids dimed on the Lead channel, it came within spitting distance of sounding like the Marshall at volume.

With what I said about the 50 still applicable, I admit the Katana 100 is a game-changer. I want one.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
  7. gball

gball Well-Known Member

I'm betting the cabinet is part of it but the added headroom of having 100 watts isn't hurting, even SS watts. The 50 does have a presence control but not a knob, you have to access it through the software. It's doesn't make a fundamental difference to how the amp sounds. Mine was fine in stock form but didn't sound like a "real" amp until I changed the speaker.

Clifdawg likes this.
  8. Clifdawg

I looked back through the thread and noticed you decided on the Warehouse ET65. Any particular reason you chose this particular speaker? I found that the stock speaker puts out an impressive amount of crystal clear low- and low-mid-range, but the high end is definitely a bit muted. Does the ET65 bring out some more top-end sparkle with humbuckers? If so, I will definitely go the same route you have.

Edit: D'oh! I'm not even thinking straight... I'd need something with higher wattage handling for the 100... Kinda limits choice there.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
  9. DFLCC

DFLCC Well-Known Member

Does the Katana 50 has the power to gig with?

The answer is yes, although many may argue that at 50 Watts may not be enough for a solid state amp to be affective in fairly large venue with a large audience. Oh well that’s what PAs are for. Not only “gigable” volume but with a multitude of options that makes it a very versatile amp able to cover multiple playing styles.

Here it is a Katana 50 vs Bass and Drums. By Chapper it self.

Check it out;

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
    Raiyn likes this.
  10. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Who has compared the Katana to the Marshall CODE?

11. gball

gball Well-Known Member

I chose it for two reasons: 1. I have experience with it in high-gain settings and it's one of my favorite speakers for crunch tones, and, 2. I had one sitting new in a box already!

But yeah, for 100 watts (if you are actually going to turn the amp up that loud) you'll need something else.

12. gball

gball Well-Known Member

It's technically loud enough, but my problem at band volume is the power section loses it's cool. Gets very loose and flubby sounding (was that way with the stock and replacement speaker). Still impressive for a $200 amp but not something I would feel comfortable using for anything more than a casual jam.

13. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Still plenty enough to cheez off SWMBO if one doesn't check the power settings when she's otherwise occupied and didn't see you with it. :p

14. gball

gball Well-Known Member

Very true!

Raiyn likes this.
  15. DFLCC

DFLCC Well-Known Member

KATANA MINI

Reviewed by one of my favorite youtubers, Shane from In The Blues.

Check it out here:

16. DFLCC

DFLCC Well-Known Member

I think that boss had confirmed that there is a difference in the voicing of the Katana 50 and the 100s. It make sense, specially with the difference in power ratting.

Mine is a 100 and I believe the speaker still has not fully broke in but so far I can’t complain it sounds great.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  17. gball

gball Well-Known Member

Interesting. I have not compared side-by-side, but different voicing would account for a lot of what people say they are hearing difference-wise.

For me, I have no real intention of ever playing mine at high volume. I have several excellent tube amps for practice/gigging. The Katana was purchased to replace a Blackstar ID Core thing that I had for practicing with and thought sounded terrible. Turns out the Katana defintely sounds better than the Blackstar using it as an amp, but the Blackstar sounded better than the Katana going direct into the computer for recording. Oh well, my Mark 5 has a built-in CabClone, so that's what's getting used for recording from here on out.

18. Clifdawg

My research online indicates that the 50 has a much weaker speaker than the 100, which would make sense. General impressions are that the 50's speaker requires a replacement for the best tone, whereas the speaker in the 100 is just about perfect as-is. My experience trying out both supports that.

I'm actually a little frustrated by that because the 50 would more than adequately suit my needs, but by the time I drop in a new driver for the 50, I might as well have spent the extra dough for the 100 and gotten the extra features. Still, it's not like 350 bucks is a lot to pay for what you get with the 100.

I may go back and play around with the 50 again soon just because one other thing that was mentioned is that the best sounds are achieved by pegging the master and then adjusting the volume with the wattage and the amp voicing volume. I did this with the 100, but when I tried the 50, I'm pretty sure I had it set to 25 watts and had the master turned pretty far down, with the amp voicing volume and gain up.

19. gball

gball Well-Known Member

That all makes sense based on what I have heard/read. Putting the WGS in it made all the difference to me. I just happened to already have the speaker already, but if I would have had to put the $70 into it in addition to the purchase price I might have thought twice about it.

20. DFLCC

DFLCC Well-Known Member

When I though I had the tone I wanted I decided to tweak it even more and I am not disappointed. With ToneStudio managed to create this really tight heavy distortion tone that rocks at low volume and the wife approves. The Katana still impressive today. Now I should get the foot switch.