The Gibson SG - Seeking Knowledge

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Alex Kendall, Mar 6, 2020.

1. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

A very strange, incoherent and hostile comment. Also lacking in perception.
    (which means dumb).
    A closed mind is nothing to be proud of. It's actually a crippling handicap.
    I'm not sure who you are attacking with this, but something is bugging you
    and your hostility is undeserved on this site, and your barbs fly wide of the mark.

Modding guitars is a passion on this site. It's also fun and creates something that
    production guitars don't offer. So if you speak to guitar modifiers as if they were
    trying to fake something, or get away with something, you are out of your fracking
    mind. (if any).

There are criminals who do attempt to sell fake guitars to the unwary.
    On this site, we have lots of defensive posts against this despicable swindle.
    But none of the criminals who attempt to cheat guitar buyers are members of
    this forum. At least none that I have met, or read their posts.

If you have been victimized by criminal swindlers at some point in the past,
    that might excuse your hostility. We might all be sympathetic.
    I can't think of any other excuse for these remarks.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
  2. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

This is the same fool that categorically stated that neck dive came from strap locks. (and in the quoted post thought the 2m$ Gibson belonged to the poster) Another clown ignored. They sure pile up here...

3. Col Mustard

not really, most of our members have opinions worth reading IMHO.
    We don't have to agree, we just need to use a little respect.
    There's room for all of us in this dugout.

but yes... Ignorance + Arrogance = Prejudice.
    and Prejudice + Power = Oppression.

so it's our sacred duty on this forum at least...
    to keep Prejudice from getting any power.
    AND to remind everyone that we are all in this together.
    That's a radical and rebellious statement worth
    expressing on an SG. Which still has the most rebellious
    tone of any guitar... IMHO of course.

And also IMHO... rebellion is the heart of rock an roll.

4. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

Actually, I find that ignorance + arrogance = comedy. If you want to write a really funny character then those traits will do the trick. I guess I'm just tired of people that voice their unasked for opinions, take the opportunity to show their own guitars again and again in each and every thread (yes, I know I'm seriously OT with my opinions now, the irony...)
    That is, people that haven't actually tried or done what the OP asks about but just want to chime in and voice their opinion, show their own stuff or perpetuate some stupid myth or opinion that they only read about themselves somewhere else. To me at least, the interesting thing about a forum like this is learning things from people that know by experience and to share the knowledge I have acquired myself in order to help someone. And I agree that rebellion certainly is in the heart of rock and roll but I feel rebellion must have a purpose, otherwise it's just irritating.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
    flognoth likes this.
  5. Kentucky gentleman

Kentucky gentleman New Member

Honestly if you are going to own it for a long time get a new one. Not a repaired headstock... I have a 2019 SG Standard and its perfect... As for metal Tony Iommi enough said... I would suggest ZZ Sounds. If you don't like it you can return it for 45 days. You obviously know you want one and that's half the battle. Buy new. The more you play the better it will feel.

Alex Kendall and koaguilds like this.
  6. S.Ustain

S.Ustain Active Member

Back to the OP. No, SGs are not hard rock guitars, though they can do that as well or better than a Les Paul. Remember: they were developed for Les Paul and Mary Ford and long before "woman tone." Sure, Les rejected them soon enough, but that was about money. Any guitar that was the instrument of choice for Eric Clapton at his height, for Robby Krieger, and for Frank Zappa can do anything. That's why I got one -- though I have plenty of guitars, none has the range and playability of my SG.

Neil from Ottawa Canada and fos1 like this.
  7. Col Mustard

yes they are... *grins

straydogger69 likes this.
  8. Hola Vibrola

Hola Vibrola Member

As one is who is also on the hunt for my first SG purchase, I too appreciate all of the great input and advice of this thread, you guys sure know your stuff. I also bought a copy of Tony Bacon's book "The SG Guitar Book. 50 Years of Gibson's Stylish Solid Guitar" from online and that's a great resource and serving to further stoke the GAS.

9. SweetJohnnyD

SweetJohnnyD Member

Funny you mention quest because although there are a few in every store in Austin, my brother lives near Chicago Music Exchange and says they have a LARGE, entire wall of new and used SGs. A FREAKIN' WALL. I've gone the new guitar route with #1 and #2 but who knows? And the new colors they have are ridiculously cool looking! Needless to say, I'm going to get a ticket up there as soon as this recent news blows over. Will report back. Currently having visions of a new olive green '61 RI.

Col Mustard likes this.