The new Gibson SG tribute

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Neezduts89, Mar 6, 2021.

1. Neezduts89

Neezduts89 Member

A734FEDB-EA14-4EE0-AC7B-466CBD4964AB.jpeg I got my tribute from sweet water today and it seems to be an awesome guitar. I’m letting it acclimate to the temperature in my house for a bit and then I’m going to give it a go. I fiddled with it for a few mins and it feels very similar to my standard, except the neck feels a lot faster. I know these come with maple necks, so that’s a big plus for me. From all the demos I’ve seen of these guitars, they also sound great. To me, They sound a bit darker/crunchier than the standard, so I’m sure it will sound great through my Marshall. The tone/volume knobs on the tribute are also different and I’m just now noticing this, but I don’t think that will be an issue. I can’t wait to plug this bad boy in this evening, it seems I will love this one just as much as I love my standard. I’m so glad I decided to give the SG a chance when I did, it quickly and easily became my favorite guitar, and I’m sure the tribute will be no exception

2. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Nice!
    Maple with a satin finish makes for a smooth neck.

SG Tribute = SG Faded = SG Special Faded

Maple neck and crown silkscreen is the only difference from previous versions. Great guitars IMO.

Neezduts89 likes this.
  3. Neezduts89

Neezduts89 Member

It really is a great guitar. Like I was saying, it feels very similar to my standard except for the neck. That’s huge plus for me as I’ve always preferred maple necks because they feel a lot smoother and easier to move around on. I’m glad i decided to pick one of these up when I had the chance, I think I’ll be able to play metal and faster music a bit easier with the tribute as I would on the standard. From what I’ve seen on YouTube, they sound awesome with a nice heavy/distorted tone

cerebral gasket likes this.
  4. laza616

laza616 Active Member

Hey,
    Nice axe! Pretty good wood grain too
    Is it 2021 model?

Neezduts89 likes this.
  5. Neezduts89

Neezduts89 Member

Hey thanks man. Yea it’s brand new 2021. It does have a nice grain to is as well, it matches the grain on my standard almost exactly. 4882A327-CB49-4A66-9405-C6FCA8ABCD62.jpeg

laza616 likes this.
  6. football27

football27 Member

Great looking SG tribute. Enjoy.

Neezduts89 likes this.
  7. Bad Penguin

Bad Penguin Well-Known Member

That's pretty!

Neezduts89 likes this.
  8. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

I dig these. The crown decal is a nice touch and the '61 RI beveling and control layout is a welcome change. IMO all SG necks should be Maple just to quiet the complaints about a "weak neck".

Neezduts89 likes this.
  9. Neezduts89

Neezduts89 Member

I gave it a good play through of all the songs I regularly practice, and it sounds great! It’s a little rough around the edges tone wise compared to my standard, but it plays a bit faster. I got a nice warm tone out of it after a bit of adjustment on my amp, but it definitely took a bit longer to get that on this guitar compared to the standard. I’m loving the maple neck on this one. It doesn’t hold you up at all and feels very smooth. I’m really happy with this one so far, and I can’t wait to see how it does with an assortment of pedals

10. Neezduts89

Neezduts89 Member

Is there a certain product you use to clean the wood on this guitar? I have a few different things I use for nitro finish, but that’s not going to work for this one. Do you have any recommendation?

11. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

It's got a nitro finish. They just use fewer coats, skip the grain filler and don't buff it as glossy.

Neezduts89 likes this.
  12. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

Great choice, Tribute are not cheap guitars, the feeling is very good, a real solid guitar.

Neezduts89 likes this.
  13. Neezduts89

Neezduts89 Member

I never would have guessed. Mine is completely dull and flat and has zero shine

14. Neezduts89

Neezduts89 Member

It is a very solid guitar that’s for sure. It reminds me a lot of my old Ibanez S series. It’s very lightweight and sleek, but doesn’t skimp out on tone or quality

15. VSG

VSG Member

Gibson is making the same model under several different model designations. What is the real difference between the WORN, FADED and TRIBUTE? I have a 2017 Worn T (is that a "T" for Tribute?) that is super fine. It even has a flamed maple neck. What is the diff between these rebranded Gibsons? None, really. SG7aa.png

Neezduts89 likes this.
  16. Neezduts89

Neezduts89 Member

very nice. I love mine so far

VSG likes this.
  17. skelt101

skelt101 Active Member

I believe the "T" refers to Traditional, as opposed to Modern.

18. VSG

VSG Member

Thanks...that makes sense as well.