The SG gods were looking down on me

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by miniangus, Dec 21, 2009.

1. miniangus

miniangus New Member

Hi all
    just wanted to share the news of my "mint condishh" march '09 Gibson Sg standard.

The story: i was at my mates house and his brothers' friend left is squier strat their. when i saw it i had to have a guitar. that's when i got into accadacca and i began to become obsessed with SG's. i Visited gallins guitars in blackburn and talked to the guys about an sg adn they are pretty pricey in the land down under. . about 3-4 weeks ago i had my 2nd semester exams( im in year 8). i did well. so for my birthday( which was yesterday) i wanted an sg but that wasn't going to happen cause they were expensive. just when i had lost all hope a guy came in to the store i was at at the time and said he wanted to trade in his sg standard for a cheaper price on a les paul robot. so the deal was made and i picked it up for 1K under the stores sale price.
    here are some pics[​IMG]

2. miniangus

miniangus New Member

ps. how do you add an image

3. D-DAY

D-DAY Member

Easiest way:
    You'll need to upload the pics to the web somewhere (photobucket, myspace, etc.) and make sure they are resized to 450x600 ish size to stay on the page. If you use myspace it will do this automatically Right click on the image (on the site where you have uploaded it) and select 'copy image location'. now when you click the insert image button HERE (under the underline button) you can paste that URL between the two indicators.
    The syntax should look like this:
    [img]yourpictureURL[img]
    It will show up when you hit preview.

Don't feel bad, it took me a minute to figure it out as well!

Cheers,

D-DAY

4. miniangus

miniangus New Member

will do ill have them up in the next 2 days

5. miniangus

miniangus New Member

6. mdubya

mdubya Well-Known Member

Very nice. O0 I am sure that guitar will bring you much joy over the months and years.

7. peterbright

peterbright Active Member

Congratulations!

8. suicidehummer

suicidehummer Active Member

She sure is purdy! You don't see the black ones quite so often, but they're sharp.

9. miniangus

miniangus New Member

thx for all the comments guys
    by the way i thought ebony looked more rock and roll heritage cherry. anythoughts on a cheap marshall amp( don't know which one to get ??? ??? ??? ???
    also what picks are really good cause the ones that i have now are real flimsy

10. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

If you go to your local music store they will have tons of pics. Try a bunch out and see what works for you; I seem to prefer .88mm. It all depends on style and comfort, What are you playing mostly?

If your still learning I found it easier to work with something with a little bend. Try a .60

11. D-DAY

D-DAY Member

Very nice guitar indeed! Congratulations.
    The little Marshall MG series are a decent practice amp with modern tone if you just want something for around the house. They have the new Haze series which are tube amps with effects for not too much money as well, but I haven't tried one yet.
    Personally I like the picks with the star shaped cutout in the middle in a.73 or .88 thickness, but they make them in a range of sizes. They're the only ones I don't drop constantly!

12. mdubya

mdubya Well-Known Member

[quote author=miniangus link=topic=20121.msg243369#msg243369 date=1261459622]
    thx for all the comments guys
    by the way i thought ebony looked more rock and roll heritage cherry. anythoughts on a cheap marshall amp( don't know which one to get ??? ??? ??? ???
    also what picks are really good cause the ones that i have now are real flimsy
    [/quote]

regarding cheap amp: I guess it depends on your definition of cheap. ;D D-Day makes a good suggestion on a mornern sound. The new Class 5 will give you some classic tones and a nice price and lower volume. If I were looking for classic Marshall tones in a bigger amp, I would be looking at Metro, Ceriatone, and Fargen. If I wanted more modern tone, JCM 800 is as modern as I would go.

There are several cool "small" amps out these days. I am currently enjoying owning a Vox AC4. It is a surprising little amp, especially when plugged into an external cabinet. I also have experience with an Epiphone Valve Junior, owned by my good friend. Great classic tones at low power output. He prefers my Vox, but I think his Epi is pretty awesome for what it is. He paid $120 used (as new condition). I paid $180 brand new for the Vox. Neither are good for a "modern" tone IMO. But we do Metallica and Rage through the Epi with a pedal in front of it, as well as RHCP and some other stuff with clean tones (it has a very sweet clean tone). I do vintage toned AC/DC and Sabbath through my Vox, along with Who, Yardbirds, Cream, Bluesbreakers, Stooges, MC5, old Judas Priest, Free, Bowie, etc. It is perfect for that sound.

A lot of people like Line 6 for price and verstility. I think they sound horrendous, personally.

regarding picks: I like Dunlop Tortex. They are unbreakable, wear well, and they feel great. I have used .60 (current), .73 (probably going back), .88 (starting to get thick) and 1.0. Best picks ever IMHO.

13. zrAC/DC

zrAC/DC Active Member

If I were to suggest a cheap amp, the class 5 seems like the way to go. If you are a big accadacca fan you'll want some tubes, but IMO I don't think any solid state Marshall's sound good in my experience, but I have been playing a JTM45 for almost a year and haven't liked any solid state amps so my opinion might be a bit biased toward tubes.

For picks I use Fender extra heavy, or Dunlop tortex 1.14mm usually the heaviest picks I can find is what I go with.

14. suicidehummer

suicidehummer Active Member

I like my MG50DFX, but I would suggest an Epiphone Valve Junior. It's a tube amp for wicked cheap and it's easy to mod. And, being only 5 watts, it doesn't have to get ridiculously loud to get decent crunch.

15. Mayfly

Mayfly Member

Although not sonically "Marshall" as the Marshall tube amps, the MG series (and especially the new FX series) are remarkable value for money. They deliver on gain, and have a tight bottom end (as do most transistor amps).
    As I said before, it is no substitute for valves, but I wouldn't think twice about getting one as a practice amp or a backup.

16. miniangus

miniangus New Member

sweet
    was tinkn mbe mg10 or 15 but my ncle has an electronic drum kit and can't play it anymore so he's gonna give it 2 me and it has a legcy lemp100 amp( do't know how many watts it actually has

17. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

[quote author=mdubya link=topic=20121.msg243410#msg243410 date=1261518064]
    He prefers my Vox, but I think his Epi is pretty awesome for what it is. He paid $120 used (as new condition). I paid $180 brand new for the Vox. Neither are good for a "modern" tone IMO. (cut)
    A lot of people like Line 6 for price and versatility. I think they sound horrendous, personally.

regarding picks: I like Dunlop Tortex. They are unbreakable, wear well, and they feel great. I have used .60 (current), .73 (probably going back), .88 (starting to get thick) and 1.0. Best picks ever IMHO.
    [/quote]

Both amps you mention are nice for the price, although as you mention are not for the modern ultra-high-gain sound.

I love the yellow .73mm and green Tortex, standard Fender size, I've used them for years now. You can re-sand the tip when it wears out, but I think the new Dunlop Ultex is even better, it seems to last longer.

Pickboy makes a lot of good styles too - I particularly like the Meta Carbonate 1 mm's, with and without the little holes.

In a pinch any Fender heavy will do. I do suggest a thicker pick, up to a point - some are just too heavy for all-around use, at least for me. I need one stiff enough for leads but able to play rhythm, too.

A few other interesting picks - the various metal and wood ones, which I have never liked, and the Plexiglass Dunlop "Big Stubby" 1mm, which were clear but the last batch were red!

I too am not sold on the Line 6's either, but a lot of folks seem to love them.

18. Humbucker

Humbucker Member

That's a nice geetar there miniangus! O0