The SG Got New Pickups - Again!

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by ChubbyFingers, Nov 19, 2021.

1. ChubbyFingers

ChubbyFingers Active Member

Decided the P-Rails set didn't gel with my 2015 SG.

So I've swapped them out for a SD Jazz neck, SD 59/Custom Hybrid in the bridge.

2 independent volumes (500k) , 2 tones using 500k push-pulls for coil splits. Treble bleeds fitted. Job done. 20211118_194406.jpg

Dave, Westernrider, skelt101 and 3 others like this.
  2. MR D

MR D Active Member

SCREAMS a bit better now, eh ? NICE ONE !!! Did the '15 Standards have the Les Paul 100 Head-Stock writing on 'em ? Adjustable Brass Nut & G-Farce TM 'System'? the'15 Standards had '57's Stock, yes ? I got a '15 SG Special w/'61 Zebra's that look like the SD's you put on...along w/writing on the Headstock the '15 SG Special has the G-Farce w/an adjustable Brass Nut.....That adjustable nut ittsa great idea !

Last edited: Nov 19, 2021
  3. skelt101

skelt101 Well-Known Member

Nice! I have a very similar set in a PRS McCarty: 59/Custom Hybrid in the bridge, 59/Jazz Hybrid in the neck! :h5:

ChubbyFingers and Westernrider like this.
  4. ChubbyFingers

Yes to Les Paul 100 on the headstock, also a Les Paul photo hologram on the back, under the varnish.

Yes to adjustable brass nut. Helps with intonation at the neck end a lot.

No robo tuners were ever fitted to mine AFAIK.

The SD pickups have indeed replaced the original Gibson 57s.

The 2015 also came with factory installed Gibson push-pulls on the volume pots, simple 2-lug on/off switches, that fit under the cover and have been reused.

All pots are 500k and the tone caps are 0.047 uF.

5. TChalms

TChalms Member

I love your choice of pickups and pots. I put the same combination in my '08 Epi SG G-310, except that I used the Mad Hatter Guitar Products Terminator with the push-pull pots that switch from 500K to 250K for the coil split. I love all of the tone options. I don't go for the high gain tones, but rather more jazzy and crunchy, so I've been using the middle position with the Jazz neck humbucking, and the bridge coil split a lot.

6. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

very cool, now let's see some more pictures

7. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

Very nice.
    Which pots did you use for the Push/Pulls? I'm guessing they are less shallow than a standard push/pull pot?

8. ChubbyFingers

I re-used the Gibson ones that came with the SG to begin with. 2015s came with pre-wired coil splits.

They're available from Sweetwater etc ($25 each yikes) but they're simple 2-pole on/offs not 6 pole (2×3) DPDTs like the aftermarket ones.