The SG, possibly one of the most (if not the most) comfortable guitar to play.

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by VSG, Aug 13, 2020.

1. VSG

VSG Member

my SG 2_DAP_Glamour.jpg Here is a topic you do not see mentioned too often. This is especially true for older players who have been toting the axe for years. WHAT DO YOU BELIEVE TO BE THE MOST COMFY GUITAR TO SLING OVER YOUR SHOULDER AND PLAY FOR HOURS?. Well, it is no mere chance that I chose the SG forum to post this query. For me it is hands down the SG. Weight wise it is a dream. The ability to bring it close to you is a major factor. It is not bulky or awkward to hold. You can (pardon the term) caress the instrument and make it feel as if the notes are coming out of you. The Les Paul? Gimme a break, no way. Jazz Boxes? Are you kidding? Unless you are way over 6 foot with long arms you are not going to caress and hold one close. Tele's? The hard angular edge takes away from the intimate hug. Strats? Not bad due to the contours but not as intimate as an SG. Acoustics? Forget about it. For me the SG is the most comfortable guitar to hold. I am medium build and not tall but that has less to do with it and more to do with the design of the SG. Just sayin'.

Justin, crashbelt, DanB and 15 others like this.
  2. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

This is true...

VSG likes this.
  3. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Preaching to the choir here :cool:but true.

A thin LP shape is also pretty comfortable. Take my PRS SE Soapbar 1 for example, with its belly cut and bevel inside the lower bout. Same weight as the SG (6.4 lbs) and a great neck.

2-.jpg

4. living room rocker

living room rocker Active Member

The lightweight, thin body is what appeals to me. The volume/tone knobs located well out of the way is another positive feature I like. Always play seated, so can't comment on playing while standing for hours. You mentioned jazz boxes, assume you meant hollow or semi-hollow electrics.....have wondered how comfortable those are to play by comparison.

VSG likes this.
  5. Rusty Chops

Rusty Chops Well-Known Member

I played so-called “jazz boxes” for years before switching to Telecaster as the rooms got bigger and volume too.
    Eventually, in a funk&soul band I started using an SG.
    Now I hardly play anything else.
    I still keep a Tele around, but have gotten used to SG’s tonez and yes, they are comfortable whether standing or curled up on a couch.

VSG likes this.
  6. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

I played SGs exclusively for over 20 years but I have to admit that I find my thin bodied Les Paul Classic more comfortable. It's balanced better and the front strap button is in a better position.
    The strap button on the SG has the guitar wanting to lean forward away from your body.

I also find it much easier to hit my pickup selector on my Les Paul during the heat of a gig.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. HackeIommi

HackeIommi Active Member

I agree with that. Especially if an SG doesn't have a neck dive problem. The other comfortable guitars are in my experience are Gibson Nighthawk and Jackson guitars. Jacksons have also a thin neck like the modern Ibanez models. Idk why but I don't find modern Ibanez necks usually comfortable. Neck-wise, most comfortable is Nighthawk for me.

mtsv likes this.
  8. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

Hmm, the SG called the most comfortable guitar to play...and that is said on an SG forum. Guys, can we throw away our bias and be honest?

Let's see... SGs are known for neck dive and SGs have a neck that is two miles long. Are they uncomfortable to play? No, but they are far from the most comfortable guitar to play.

The unbiased answer is that the Stratocaster is the most comfortable guitar to play. Folks, CONTOURS! That whole Strat body is one big countour! Even where your picking hand forearm rests on the body...that body section is wonderfully sculpted and countoured.

The shape was specifically designed for comfort:

[​IMG]

mtsv, G.T., Demon Dave and 1 other person like this.
  9. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

For me the SG has some serious competition for comfort, with no clear winner:

First the Revered Spacehawk - despite it's larger body it has a strat-like carve for the right arm, and I don't notice it's size at all - unlike most semi-hollows I've played. The chambered Korina body is as light as an SG, but more resonant feeling as you're playing it - it feels really alive in your hands:
    [​IMG]

Then there's my old Guild S-60 - like an SG it's light and slim, with a comfortable body carve, and great upper fret access too:
    [​IMG]

I don't think I could choose which is the most comfortable, they've all got strong and weak points, but when playing, they're the most comfortable guitars I own.

But, let's face it, the SGs win on looks, no question - right? :)

Jim Martin likes this.
  10. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

It's either the SG or this bastard for me: P10102692.jpg

11. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

How in the hell can a Flying V be comfortable to play? The thing can only be played with a strap, where in heck do you place your right forearm when strumming...

Stark Naked likes this.
  12. Von Trapp

Strumming is for pussies...

Dscythe likes this.
  13. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

I agree, the SG is my favourite and most comfortable for sitting or standing. I really like a Flying V for stand up playing, but obviously it's a bit awkward sitting down.

14. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

Nope, picking out individual notes to play a lead is for weaklings.
    Real men strum six strings at once. Heavy gauge steel strings. Strumming six of them in one strum is what real men do.

Stark Naked likes this.
  15. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Flying V is the only guitar that has its own built-in stand, and it's easy to play sitting down.

I play all my guitars the same way when sitting.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Von Trapp

Always the same stupid question about that V.

cerebral gasket likes this.
  17. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

Interesting. I would have thought the lower bout would be set atop your right leg and make it difficult to play seated. Locking it onto your leg like that must still be weird.

And, there actually are guitars that are impossible to play seated. VOX made the Teardrop and the Phantom...impossible to play seated. I have the Phantom. I also have straps ready to go when I play it.

[​IMG]

18. VSG

VSG Member

19. VSG

VSG Member

Also adding to the comfort of an SG is the camforing/beveling of the entire bass side of the body.

20. Von Trapp

Nah, chords that involve all six strings are lame...