The SG, possibly one of the most (if not the most) comfortable guitar to play.

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by VSG, Aug 13, 2020.

1. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

Listen to the last chord in "The James Bond Theme." Universally known as the coolest chord every played. Six strings, my friend. All six.

1:40 is the classic six string chord. So cool it actually has a name. It's called the Spy Chord.

hhog, Dave and Rusty Chops like this.
  2. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

Easy life guitar.

3. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

Fair enough, there seem to be exceptions.

Stark Naked likes this.
  4. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

That's why I can't tolerate a full-blown Les Paul with a carved top. It's not the weight, but the sharp edges around the body where the forearm rests. With Juniors and Specials that are a flat slab of mahogany, at least the edges have a slight radius or bullnose.

IMO, the chamfer/beveling around the body of the SG makes it the most ergonomic guitar on the planet to play, not to mention the upper fret access.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
    alexander paul and Rusty Chops like this.
  5. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

Upper fret access is overrated and unnecessary for most guitarists. I play rhythm guitar. I have been playing guitar since 1990 and never once gone past the fifth fret. I only need a guitar with five frets.

hhog, hdvades and Rusty Chops like this.
  6. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Why limit yourself?

7. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

Not limiting myself. There's really nothing down there past the fifth fret for me. I don't even intonate my strings. Who cares if a string is out of tune on the 12th fret? I never go down there.

Oh, OK, if I want to play The Romantics' "What I Like About You" I have to go to the seventh fret and play a bar Esus4 chord. But that's really the only time I would go past the fifth fret. I play rhythm. Chiming jangling rhythm. Open cowboy chords suit that style.

hhog and Rusty Chops like this.
  8. Rusty Chops

Rusty Chops Well-Known Member

“...There’s no money above the fifth fret...”
    -Tommy Tedesco

9. SGBreadfan

SGBreadfan Member

What a silly statement and mostly untrue, might be true for you but I’d say you’re in the vast minority.

koaguilds and cerebral gasket like this.
  10. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

You should get a Ukulele instead then, less strings too! But that depends on what kind of chicks you're after I guess. Sure, you probably can impress some of them with some strumming and cool poses but to get the really hot ones you have to play lead.

Stark Naked likes this.
  11. Tiboy

Tiboy Active Member

I’m now comfortable playing my SG. I only play practice standing up. It’s certainly the lightest electric I own. It has the best upper fret access of all my guitars. When I first got it I hated it. Mild neck dive. Sticky neck. I felt like I had to extend my fretting arm out fully to reach the first fret.

The right type of strap fixed the neck dive. A lot of play time corrected the sticky neck and created muscle memory for dealing with the reach issue. It’s now quite comfortable, but not the most comfortable in the stable. That honor goes to the PRS 594.

12. Didds

Didds Well-Known Member

Easily. I love my Gretsch, its got a fantastic tone but the body is huge and somewhat uncomfortable for a little guy like me. Whenever I switch to my SG I feel super at home. That goes for switching from any guitar. They all feel a little off but whenever I have an SG in my hands it just feels natural. Not sure if it's to do with the body shape or just the fact that I've almost exclusively been playing one since I was 14. Probably a bit of both

13. ezypikins

ezypikins Member

Most comfortable guitar I ever had. Was a G&L Comanche prototype. Had an Interceptor body. Kind of looked like an Ibanez Gem. Body was long and sleek. Wasn't playing anymore so, sold it to pay for my wife's anniversary ring.

14. cheshiergrin

cheshiergrin Well-Known Member

I find my SG very comfy to play, but it is not perfect. I like where the volume and switch on a Strat are, I have many times pondered putting a master volume knob on the pickguard of my SG. It did have some neck dive before I put the Bigsby on it. Also I play with a strap anyway now with all my guitars to have a similar feel as when standing so I do not have to adjust anything when going from sitting to standing. Every guitar is a bit different and takes a little bit of getting used to it and for me I hardly notice it when going between different guitars anymore. And as far as the neck, play a J bass for a while then grab an SG and it will not seem long at all. :D

15. Bad Penguin

Bad Penguin Well-Known Member

uhhh, ok? So jazz and Zappa, and anything with any kind of creativity is forbidden. Whatever rocks for you.

The SG IS comfy, but so is the Ibanez Sabre and the old Radius line. (Now known as the JS series.) The DBZ imperial is INCREDIBLY comfy, and looks as if a SG mated with a 335, and had a Sabre as a midwife!

16. Robert Morris

Robert Morris Member

Uh, no. I tried to love the SG. My Strats just fit like a glove. Not just the contours, but the position of the neck being closer to you because of where the strap button is located way out on that long upper bout. Even my Les Paul feels better to me. It’s just personal preference, but for comfort, the Strat is king.

Demon Dave likes this.
  17. rocknsad

rocknsad New Member

For me there is only 1 ultra comfy shape : the steinberger "paddle" shape !

18. CCK

CCK New Member

Absolutely my most comfortable guitar. Used to call my SG the “last set guitar”. But if I pick it up earlier in the night, I’ll likely still be playing it at last call.

Demon Dave likes this.
  19. fredlw

fredlw New Member

I have shoulder issues and searched for light/comfortable models for a while. SG jr has been the nicest so far. semi/hollow tele with arm contour are pretty nice but hard to find as light as an SGjr. Strat is more comfortable shape but too heavy. Les Paul ahahah though the thin one @Dave posted is interesting. Some others I am hoping to try out are Ibanez S series and PRS Vela.

20. TChalms

TChalms Member

Good question. Unfortunately, I need to vote No. I'm small (5'4"), I'm old (69), and I have Post-Polio Syndrome so I can't stand up for more than a minute, so I need to play sitting down.

The body on my Epi SG G-310 is about 19" across at the widest spot. My old Alvarez Dana "super-strat" is 18", so it wins the comfort vote - for me.