The SG, possibly one of the most (if not the most) comfortable guitar to play.

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by VSG, Aug 13, 2020.

1. Darryl Fisher

Darryl Fisher Member

"Especially if an SG doesn't have a neck dive problem." I'm kinda new to this phrase... what is neck dive?

2. football27

football27 Member

I am pre CBS so I do appreciate the weight of my SG. Definitely my most comfortable electric to play!

3. RiverRat

RiverRat Member

I couldn’t imagine not having my strat and my SG. My main strat neck plays a LOT like my SG. I don’t really do favorites. The other strat is more of a SRV setup. It gets played, but it is a workout. Keeps my fingers in shape though.

4. G.T.

G.T. New Member

I just recently purchased after years of wanting 1 and honestly thetthe I don't like most about it is the comfortability factor. I hate the neck dive issue. Where the strap button it's located. And I don't like the neck. I'm hoping I just need to adjust and get used to it.

5. Bad Penguin

Bad Penguin Well-Known Member

Ummmm, did you play it before buying it? Did you ever play a different model of SG before buying the one you have? Why did you buy it, if you hated the neck???

Stark Naked likes this.
  6. Stark Naked

Stark Naked Active Member

By now I hope I've learned not to step into an argument that's already spun out of control with irrational, sarcastic remarks. However, here's my comment.
    I own about twenty various guitars I've accumulated over a 35 year musical career. I always come back to my SG's. Comfort is important but there's a lot more that goes into making it the best performance guitar. At least for me. To each his own.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
  7. Stark Naked

8. Dr Dale

Dr Dale New Member

9. Dr Dale

Dr Dale New Member

While my SG is nice, lite and reasonably comfortable, my PRS S2 Mira is just about perfect. Nice contour, balanced and everything perfectly positioned. Better balanced than the SG which is a bit headstock heavy. Thinking of adding a Bigsby partially to try for a better balance.

10. Stark Naked

I really respect your ability to acquiesce to this point.

11. Stark Naked

Well said.
    Could there possibly be any other reason to play the guitar? I don't think so! Personally, I think the SG is the best posing guitar out there and playing painfully high leads at the 17th fret will get their attention. Hey, I got my beautiful wife who's half my age using this method.

12. gball

gball Well-Known Member

Comfort covers a lot of things I think. And some of this is going to be subjective and learned from experience, of course.

I love SGs and think they are perhaps the best looking solidbody ever. They score big for me because of the light weight and the ability to throw them around, and the high fret access is obviously a big plus, but..

For comfort with it strapped on I actually prefer Firebirds. Yep, the are unwieldy and much heavier but I like how my forearm rests along the bout and there is something about the way that they swivel on the strap that makes them even easier to transition to different neck positions than the SG, however...

For me it will always be the Les Paul. I know, I know, the WEIGHT. But I learned how to play guitar on a Les Paul Custom, and they are like a safe space for me: reassuring and familiar, and with the right strap I don't even notice. Sharp edges on thick body? I've been playing them so long it doesn't even register. When people complain about it I have to think for a moment to figure out what they are even talking about. Limited fret access? Well, I learned on one, so learned my way around the neck join and its a non-issue. Everything falls perfectly to hand on a Les Paul. It's completely intuitive to play, and I always have and probably always will play my best on one.

13. gball

gball Well-Known Member

See, I never got this completely. I've owned a lot of Strats but I have never considered them all that comfortable (and don't get me started on Teles). Sure, the contours are nice, but the neck heel feels like hell, the bridge design is a complete disaster for muting and the knob placement is the biggest clusterf*@k in the history of guitar design. The scale length just feels "off" and the headstock seems a mile away, plus they are not typically very light. On top of that they have 6 yards of plastic all over the front of them. Useful tools to get a certain sounds but totally utilitarian to me, no sex appeal at all. May as well be a socket wrench.

Worblehat and DrBGood like this.
  14. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

Nope, no other reason. And thanks for you testimonial.

15. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

Nice try. I'm glad no one seems to fall for it. If you are actually serious then google it.

16. Tia

Tia New Member

I have to disagree with the comfort area. The most comfortable guitar I have ever strapped on to my body both sitting and standing positions was a Fender Strat.... THAT BEING SAID, the Fender had no oomph. But the Gibson SG was the first guitar that I have adjusted to the quickest, and this particular SG is THE BEST SOUNDING GUITAR I’VE PLAYED.... Sooo, therefore, I am guitar feeling very guitar married, and haven’t played another since.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
    cheshiergrin likes this.
  17. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

I also find the thin slab of my two Epiphone LP Special 1 very close to the SG feeling and weight.

thin.jpg

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
    Rusty Chops and cheshiergrin like this.
  18. G.T.

G.T. New Member

ya and I don't hate the neck I just prefer a flatter, larger radius. Bought it cuz I got a killer deal and it sounds great on rhythm tracks and I don't think there is a cooler looking guitar out there.

19. HackeIommi

HackeIommi Active Member

Hi Darryl! Something like that:

https://i.imgur.com/5kmFIKV.jpg

20. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

With light weight/standard tuners my Gibson SGs don' t "neck dive" .