The VOX MV50 – A revolutionary new amplifier

Raiyn

Reaction score
The VFD, per say, is not the issue.

The issue is the MAP being at $199.95. In order to hit that number the amp is probably almost entirely surface mount components, with, as was pointed out, a class D digital amp. What do you think Korg's cost for one of these is?
Your point is taken, I'd imagine that these are for testing the waters and seeing if enough adventurous souls will try them and like them enough to spread the word.

I really want one like that head with all the flavors baked in.

DCCable

Reaction score
I really want one like that head with all the flavors baked in.

As I said, if I were in the market for a basic 50 watt amp... It's just a different hardware model than musicians are accustomed to.

BTW, Vox is not going to tell anyone their marketing plan. Its the poor suckers who buy these things on the used market who are going to have a rude awakening when they break.

Norton

Reaction score
tubes don't just distort.

I mean they distort really well. I like that. But everything in between clean and distortion is the more difficult thing to approximate.

I haven't tried...and don't know...so I'm asking.

Can the digital model world do the vintage estey, ampeg, selmer, Magnatone dark, slow, thick and chewey "compression " thing?

Norton

Reaction score
I have heard some horrible "profiling" amps. That did everything under the sun but none of it particularly well

The players seemed to love the shith outta those amps. And they were great players.

But the amps weren't great. But we're on like the 9th generation of this stuff

Kemper axefx fractal bias...someone's got to be getting more than distortion down right?

DCCable

Reaction score
tubes don't just distort.

I mean they distort really well. I like that. But everything in between clean and distortion is the more difficult thing to approximate.

I haven't tried...and don't know...so I'm asking.

I feel your pain! See, to me this is what some tube amps can do that digital can't do. (And for that matter a lot of other analog amps and stomp boxes can't do either.)

http://www.everythingsg.com/threads/some-of-my-fav-tube-amp-sounds.32721/

Raiyn

Reaction score
°Sigh°

{Quote=Wikipedia}
The term "class D" is sometimes misunderstood as meaning a "digital" amplifier. While some class-D amps may indeed be controlled by digital circuits or include digital signal processing devices, the power stage deals with voltage and current as a function of non-quantized time. The smallest amount of noise, timing uncertainty, voltage ripple or any other non-ideality immediately results in an irreversible change of the output signal. The same errors in a digital system will only lead to incorrect results when they become so large that a signal representing a digit is distorted beyond recognition. Up to that point, non-idealities have no impact on the transmitted signal. Generally, digital signals are quantized in both amplitude and wavelength, while analog signals are quantized in one (e.g. PWM) or (usually) neither quantity.
{/quote}

There's no emulation.

Norton

Reaction score
Oh I know...
class d is a switching power supply kind of like class A/b on steroids. At the heart is a digital switching device.

I was referring specifically to earlier posts about digital and modeling amps.

DCCable

Reaction score
class d is a switching power supply kind of like class A/b on steroids
No a class D amp is not a switch mode power supply although they operate in a somewhat superficially similar manner.

Norton

Reaction score
well…not that it matters…. but most of the class D amps out there are using digital controls for regulation functions.

I'm sorry to have simplified that into switching… but that little digital controller is acting pretty much like a switch…or a series of switches.

Voxman

Staff Member
Reaction score
a34b0199-63aa-4fcc-867d-060e9fd953c8_zps801za6pe.jpg

BurchSung

Reaction score
Hi...i am a new user here. I thinkaA triode of a vacuum fluorescent display, on the other hand, is optimized to make phosphour coating of the anodes glow when it gets bombarded by electrons. As is, they have very low mu and remarkably poor linearity, especially at low voltages. Chance is small signal amplification with decently low distortion figures can be forgotten.

Raiyn

Reaction score
Hi...i am a new user here. I thinkaA triode of a vacuum fluorescent display, on the other hand, is optimized to make phosphour coating of the anodes glow when it gets bombarded by electrons. As is, they have very low mu and remarkably poor linearity, especially at low voltages. Chance is small signal amplification with decently low distortion figures can be forgotten.
Uh huh, have you tried it? No? Shocker.

They didn't just yank the guts out of a VCR and call it an amp. This was a purpose built unit. They've been out over a year (this thread was nearly a year dead) and surprise nobody is saying anything like what you posted.

Col Mustard

Reaction score
whew! I read all of this and didn't understand much. But I'm only a musician,
not an electronics engineer. Discussion of the worth of the design is relevant, as
long as the technobabble is moderately intelligible. Me, I understand guitar tone, and
pick attack, and I have trained myself to hear highs mids and lows. Me, I understand
audience response (or the lack thereof). I also understand musician's logistics, which
means hauling heavy boxes in and out of dicey venues, and trying to get dependable
music tone out of electronic marvels we pay too much for. ...so I like small amps.

What I want to know, after hearing the original promotional video, is this:

DOES ANYBODY THINK THEY SOUND GOOD?

DOES ANYBODY OWN ONE?

HOW DOES IT BEHAVE WITH PEDALS?

HAVE YOU PLAYED YER SG THROUGH IT?

DOES A GIBSON SOUND BETTER THROUGH IT THAN AN EPIPHONE?

DOES A LES PAUL SOUND BETTER THROUGH IT THAN A STRAT?

the world wonders

Sp8ctre

Reaction score
I owned one, but gave it away with my Les Paul when I sold it.

It was an interesting little amp that I could sit on my desk at work. But I don't feel it really
gave anywhere near a 50 watt blast. I only played it through a 12" open back cab with a
70/80 speaker in it.

Just didn't do it for me, but it did do okay with a few pedals like my Soul Food...

Latest posts