There's a first time for everything ...

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by DrBGood, Nov 22, 2021.

1. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Mine was playing a Gibson SG, or any other guitar for that matter, with uncovered pickups. As I looked down on the bridge pickup, I stepped back and thought, that thing is falling apart ! Made me wonder why would anybody pay a premium for a guitar with unfinished parts on it. That wonky tape hiding the coils looks like a hack job. It reminds me of that kind of attention to detail.

27097d6dc507295a43fe0d0105d29334.jpg

I think duct tape might actually look less bad.

If open coils is a thing, why didn't anybody at Gibson ever thought of inventing some kind of plastic casing that could be snapped to the bobbins ? Something like a single coil cover with its top cut off.

Some people are anal about the tiniest flaw on their prized guitar, but they accept that ? I'm baffled.

2. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, new hearing aid project - exciting
    Straightening tape is an extra process, and it costs money. Never going to happen.

DrBGood likes this.
  3. DrBGood

It is not a question of how good or bad the tape is applied, it's more like leaving your walls open in your mansion, just because you like seeing the insulation.

4. donepearce

Well, some people like to have bare walls in their house. As long as they make other guitars with enclosed pickups we're fine.

DrBGood likes this.
  5. Decadent Dan

Decadent Dan Active Member

6. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
    chilipeppermaniac likes this.
  7. An Abiding Dude

An Abiding Dude Active Member

That is some super weird looking pickups, DD. Like looking at those poor freeze-dried bastards in the "Bodies" display.
    [​IMG]

Decadent Dan and DrBGood like this.
  8. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

It all goes back to Eric Clapton... and the sixties musicians'
    obsession with gaining more treble.

Eric Clapton removed the covers from his pickups in hopes of gaining a bit more
    treble. Vox created and marketed and sold a black box called a "Treble Booster"
    because musicians of the day wanted more.

Remember that this was before bands had any proper monitors onstage.
    Remember that this was before bands had any cool pedals to augment their tone.
    Musicians mostly plugged straight in to their amps... with coil cords.

In the sixties, it wasn't cool to show any fasteners. Fifties too.
    Hence the pickup covers. When Eric Clapton removed his, that was radical.
    People who thought his tone was the Next Big Thing decided they needed to
    remove their pickup covers too.

Gibson in their wisdom decided to make guitars without pickup covers
    at some point after this. I don't know when. But they decided that guitarists
    would buy guitars with uncovered pickups, and with the tape wrappings
    that were featured on such pickups.

Gibson was right. Guitarists who are too young to
    remember Eric Clapton's innovations and additions to 'Guitar Tone"
    are willing to buy and play guitars with no covers on their pickups.
    Some modern guitarists think the uncovered pickups look cool. Some don't.
    This is true... and has always been true.

It never had MUCH effect on tone, maybe a little extra treble. Maybe not.
    I was a teen when all this occurred, and can admit that the recordings
    of the time would not have reflected much difference. Neither would the
    "record players" of those times have sent much difference out to the
    "stereo speakers" of those times. As a teen or a young man, I never was
    aware of any of this. I danced my nights away with the young women of
    those times untroubled... And as an old fart, I like modern equipment.

Guitarists in 2021 certainly have much more control over their tone than
    EC (or any other Golden Age hero) ever did. So the issue of covered or
    uncovered pickups is a non-issue. IMHO it has always been so.

Go Nigel Go likes this.
  9. DrBGood

Mr. Clapton made a terribly bad aesthetic move :rofl:

10. donepearce

You mean when he switched from hard driving blues to vomit-inducing soft rock? Couldn't agree more.

11. DrBGood

That too.

12. Go Nigel Go

Go Nigel Go Well-Known Member

I think removing the pickup covers was like removing the hood ornament on a 1970s car trying to make it go faster. Drag wastes energy right? The theory makes sense, and there is almost certainly a quantifiable amount of drag created by those cookie-sized hood ornaments, right?

Yeah, well in practice in practice it makes no difference, and if you wanted to improve performance in some way, there were literally thousands of other factors that actually would make a difference. Removing the hood ornament had the virtue of being relatively easy and low-cost modification. Some people even swore they could "feel the difference".

Pickup covers look nice, but I don't mind the look of uncovered pickups most of the time. Whatever it's got when I get it is probably what it will have the entire time I own it. I try to put my energy in places it will make a difference.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2021
  13. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

hence the sig line...

14. An Abiding Dude

Yardbirds, Bluesbreakers, Cream, "Layla" and "from the Cradle" were about as good as EC got for me. I can take or leave most everything else.

Go Nigel Go likes this.
  15. donepearce

First time I saw him was at The Marquee Club here in London with Cream. I walked in as they were hammering out Tales of Brave Ulysses. That was also the first time I encountered a wahwah pedal. Instant convert.

16. An Abiding Dude

That's amazing. That would be the greatest time and place to be young and a music fan. I, unfortunately, was born in the States and crapping a diaper (or, as the Brits say, a nappie) at the time. You must've seen all the biggies: Hendrix, Stones, Animals, etc. What show, besides the Cream one you just mentioned, still stays with you, donepearce?

Go Nigel Go and Grizzlyman like this.
  17. donepearce

Shows that stay with me? I still remember an all-nighter at The Roundhouse (just a walk from home) with The Doors and Jefferson Airplane. Then my local pub had bands every week. Bands like Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac, Taste (Rory Gallagher), Thin Lizzy, Free. The list goes on. Ah - forgot a good one. John Mayall's Blues Breakers when he had Mick Taylor on guitar. Only this night Jimi Hendrix showed up and played the second set while Mick sat at the bar looking royally pissed off.

18. Go Nigel Go

Go Nigel Go Well-Known Member

Man... This is all some of my favorite music. Like some of the other "youngsters" above I was too young to be attending rock concerts at that time, so my exposure to bands of the '60s and early '70s that have been some of my greatest influences as a guitarist I have only been able to enjoy via recordings. The closest I have come to seeing the Jefferson Airplane was a couple of years ago when I saw Hot Tuna (Jack and Jorma from the old band) when they came to town. Good show, but probably not a candle to seeing them in their prime around '68-'69

19. laza616

laza616 Active Member

Covered or uncovered pickups ... Most of the time when i play the bridge pickup is behind my right hand, so its covered right? The neck pickups i have as low as the rings are, so it appears like the neck pickup was deep in the guitar
    I have 5 SGs - 2 open coils, 3 covered
    All pickup sets are different, each guitar has different sound and i never took the covers off of some covered pickups and tried them like that. I cant really tell if it affects the sound but my favourite guitar has open coils and i lf i had to make a chart of my guitars by the best to my ears sounding on the first and on the second place would have been open coils. Actually thinking about it this right now, my Gibson with 490/498 set would end up on the fifth place

But when i look at the guitar , the pickups are the very least thing i look at. The guitar has to ring and sing and also i need to like to feel in my hands and on my arms, the "look" of the guitar is my wife's thing - she dislikes all my SGs because i have only the "red ones" which is not even true because one SG i have is a natural faded finish on the Vintage G400 Epiphone..... And she only see the colour and interestingly she noticed fretboard binding and inlays which somehow plays the role on her opinion
    To me, well i think Gibson SG standard is my most beautiful guitar as its supposed to be like that and i paid for all these little details. On the other hand simple plain guitar like SG faded/tribute is also beautiful because of that simplicity
    But i will be honest and i will tell you my secret: i love all the SGs. In my eyes its the most beautiful guitar and the best bad-ass shape ever on the guitar

Go Nigel Go likes this.
  20. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

Why do I urge to say fck you... lol

I saw Thin Lizzy but that's enough for me. My brother though has Phil Lynnots cigarett butt framed. He and a friend happened to end up in the corridor between the dressing room and the exit, Phil bummed a cigarette off him and my brother picked up the butt afterwards. So fck him too, come to think of it.

Go Nigel Go and donepearce like this.