There's a first time for everything ...

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by DrBGood, Nov 22, 2021.

1. MR D

MR D Active Member

Yeah, after the tone of the Les Paul CUSTOM on Plastic Ono Band (and maybe even some of the tones on 1st Solo EC recording), I just couldn't listen any longer ! EC never went back to the GIBSON as his main weapon. That was what I liked about his sound to begin with (Disraeli/Wheels/Good-Bye/Plastic Ono Band)..

2. Bad Penguin

Bad Penguin Well-Known Member

Eric lost his nuts after picking up a strat.

Westernrider and DrBGood like this.
  3. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, new hearing aid project - exciting
    He truly did. He was a beast on a Les Paul, SG or 355. But the Strat knocked all the spark out of him. Strange that it did the opposite to Jeff Beck.

4. Go Nigel Go

Go Nigel Go Well-Known Member

All true perhaps, except that I am a little reluctant to blame the Strat for the change. When I got my first Strat, it actually inspired a lot of musical growth that translated well and much of it carried back to my Gibson playing.

5. donepearce

Maybe I was in error implying causality. Perhaps he switched to the Strat BECAUSE he had become tedious. Maybe there was no link other than apparent timing.

Go Nigel Go likes this.
  6. Go Nigel Go

Go Nigel Go Well-Known Member

Yeah, causality is one of those tricky problems in logic. Of course, I suppose it is still possible he got hold of a Succubus Strat that sucked his manhood and left him a husk... the evidence could support any number of theories, so we can keep it on the table for the time being. :naughty: My wife would agree with you on that one though btw, I cut Clapton's later work a little bit more slack than she does.

donepearce likes this.
  7. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

Back in the ‘80s I much preferred the look of uncovered pickups on pretty much every guitar. Today, it depends on the guitar. I don’t like uncovered pickups on SGs, Les Pauls, 335s, or arch tops. But, I prefer them on superstrats.

8. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

9. donepearce

I love that deep ruby colour much more than the bright reds I see on so many SGs now.

Dave likes this.
  10. chilipeppermaniac

chilipeppermaniac Well-Known Member

Mayall/Bluesbreakers, Baker/Bruce/ vs Straight up EC. I agree.

11. chilipeppermaniac

Other than the Tinnitus and being 50-70+ years old, Townshend had the same effect as Clapton while playing Strats vs his LP/SG Schecter Tele days.

As for Jeff Beck, he has the Tinnitus too I believe. But his playing to me is listener's tastes. I liked his early ROCK stuff.

Another Fender style vs Gib style player who I think seemed to retain his fire no matter what gear he uses, is Pat Travers.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
  12. chilipeppermaniac

My very first guitar I bought was by my best guess a used 1979 LP Std with Uncovered T Top Pups. I loved that guitar but gave up playing due to lack of skill and being a dumbazz. I sold it for maybe $425 US and regret it every day despite owning over 17 guitars since. None has ever replaced the mojo of being my first. THIS guitar was a warhorse by the time I got it 3-4 years after it was born. At the ripe young age of 18-22 I felt the uncovered pups were like Jean says, but that was because I really was digging the LP Customs of the day back then.

Flash forward to about 2000, I longed for my Original Black LP Uncovered T Tops and all.
    Wound up with a 91 Strat in Gun Metal Blue. ( rare color) Never should have sold this one.
    Several other Strats, LP Studio, and my current LP, an EPI LP Std from around 2010. 4 SG's, a Tele, and an ES 135 with covered 57 classics.

I swapped the stock covered EPI pups out of my Honey Burst LP and in went a set of uncovered 1979 T Tops.

Epi LP  bridge1.jpg