They're Here! Gibby's New SG Releases

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by arcticsg, Apr 28, 2019.

1. syscokid

syscokid Well-Known Member

I definitely like this idea. If Gibson would that, I wonder how much time it would take for Gibson to ship the "optioned" guitar to the dealer? And for the same price? … :hmm:. I didn't know that Fender does options on their regular production guitars.

This is Bean Counter's Krap, but unfortunately it's true. I always wonder what the profit margins are for manufacturer and dealer. Wonder about the incentives, too. I making up numbers thru my a$$ right now: Lets say on a $2000 guitar, a Gibson authorized dealer makes $100 profit and Gibson makes a $100 profit. But if a Mom n Pop store is allowed to stock and sell only 5 Gibsons at a time, maybe the profits are reduced down to $75 each. $100 = Good? $75 = Evil (for Gibson)?

2. syscokid

syscokid Well-Known Member

3. Joncaster

Joncaster Member

Medium Jumbo frets and Graphtech nut on SG Standard and 61 Standard, instead of the Low frets and Tektoid nut. Hmmm. Glad I got the low frets.

Damn, that SG Junior is looking good.

lawrev likes this.
  4. grinch

grinch New Member

Realising I'm new here, and the potential to upset folks at this early stage is high, but I'll say it anyway. You create beautiful furniture with timbers. You make shop counters out of melamine... sorry, richlite.

arcticsg likes this.
  5. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Yes and that's where all of the rosewood and ebony have gone, so until the folk that own those chests and tables and chairs are willing to let luthiers cut out the good stuff, we're stuck with a durable substitute.

PermissionToLand likes this.
  6. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

Given the choice between a 'beautiful furniture' guitar like this (and yes, it's a Gibson):
    [​IMG]

And a 'shop counter' guitar... I'll take the shop counter guitar every time. After all, a shop counter is where you get the business done. :)

(And don't worry - I'm not upset, it's all good clean fun here.)

7. jerry donahue

jerry donahue New Member

I agree glad I got mine too.. love the nut and frets on my 2019 sg 61 standard first sg I have owned that really stays in tune and I have had plenty over the years ....

Joncaster likes this.
  8. grinch

grinch New Member

That's cheating, that's the neck :p I'll quickly explain my position on this. I'm a wood machinist/furniture maker by trade. Where I worked was sold and the new owners quickly started using laminates and melamines. It's horrible stuff, I love timbers, so I quit :)

Bidllin, you leave my furniture out of this. It's all those classical guitar players who're to blame! ;)

9. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

Don't you think the reason for this is the poor way in which Gibson's innovations in later years have been received? And because of this the new leadershp at Gibson have decided to "return to the roots" so to speak. A lot of guitarists have complained (I'm not saying they are right, mind you!), and the current old school line of products is Gibson's attempt to give people what they want. Whether or not it will be a success remains to be seen. Personally I love the classic Gibson guitars, but I have no aversion to things like Richlite, baked maple etc. A good guitar is a good guitar.

I also find it interesting to see how many people don't seem to understand that the guitar side of the business did pretty well all through Gibson's recent problematic years, regardless of the ill received innovations.It was the branching out and trying to become a "lifestye brand" that caused the problems.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  10. mvsr990

mvsr990 New Member

I'd say that's exactly the case... and as far as innovations and advancements, I think the problem is that there's just not room for many in the electric guitar world. If you take all the designs present by 1965 there is something there that works for 95% of players (ergonomically or in terms of sound) - if you move that up to the early '80s with EMGs/Floyd Roses/etc., I'd guess you're at 99.5%.

11. mvsr990

mvsr990 New Member

Saw a 61RI w/ Maestro in person today, didn't want to play it because I'm not in the market but it's definitely beautiful.

The binding is the color of a dark cream, almost brownish - I wonder if that's just so it looks slightly aged (despite the rest being shiny and new) or if that's the color the binding was in 1961?

12. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Sure, pal and cow farts cause global warming.

AngelDeVille likes this.
  13. grinch

grinch New Member

Lighten up!

14. Robus

Robus Active Member

Meh. Why so pricey?

15. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

There have been useful innovations since then. One big one is a compound radius fretboard. I have struggled with many guitars to get the higher frets level enough for low action and minimal buzz. A compound radius (and fall-off) would solve this problem. I really liked that they did this with the 2015 Standard and now have brought it back with the Modern.

16. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

The old 2019 lineup is being phased out. They are on sale at most outlets to make room for the new lineup (for example, the HP is now priced the same as the Modern).

arcticsg and SG standard like this.
  17. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

Untrue... it was actually mastodon farts, that is why it is illegal to own one in the peeples repubelick of kalifornia...

Biddlin and Logan like this.
  18. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

The SG Standard '61 Maestro Vibrola is very nice but I will never buy a ''vibrolated'' Gibson

19. Steve D

Steve D Well-Known Member

I was always in the camp that didn't care for the big silver vibrato casing (even when the maestro vibrato arm was removed). I felt it took a guitar that had that devilish silhouette with the horns and then slapped some fancy decoration on it and couldn't decide it if was a tool for making gritty rock and roll (my preference) or an elegant work of art. However as I've matured (it's taken many many years and I'm still not fully mature) something clicked and I "get it" now. They suddenly look cool to me. The look0 as cool as the ones without, just a different flavor.

But I have never had a vibrato. I have no use for one and I don't really want one. The Dereck Trucks model with the fake Maestro cover actually looked really cool to me precisely because it didn't have a vibrato there to complicate the tuning. But I gotta say, these do look awesome and they are going to blow up the secondary market for reissues because to get a repro with a maestro or sideways vibrato you had to go used and there were so few that they were really pricey. Now it's the stock model. Boom! sell your 10 year old one now if you wanted to make a profit on it!

PermissionToLand and arcticsg like this.
  20. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

I hear ya.. I don't use a tremolo/vibrola either. Man, I don't even really use the ones that come with my Fenders. I keep some decked, and the arms just sit in their cases with the others.

I picked up the SG with the Vibrola for the same reason I added a Bigsby to one of my SGs, to just check it out and to experience the feel and sound of that design. Plus it just looks awesome!

Besides, never hurts to add something different to the collection if the price is right :D

Last edited: May 2, 2019
    Steve D likes this.