Thinking of getting a second SG

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by sgguitarzz, Mar 14, 2021.

1. sgguitarzz

sgguitarzz Member

I am almost 67 and playing forever. I currently own a 1969 Gibson SG that I bought new as a 15 year old kid and has been my #1 all that time. For many years early on it was my only guitar. As I gigged more I bought many different models and brands to use as a second guitar. I have had Gibson, Hamer, Fender, Squier, Parker, Schecter you name it. While many were okay they never did it for me like my SG. My SG can be used for anything and sound great. I never found that in any other guitar. I have come to the conclusion that instead of trying other brands again maybe the real answer is a second SG. I guess some people need a house to fall on their heads to wake up lol.

Anyways, my budget would be in the $1200-2000 or so range which should give me a good choice in the SG world. I have heard great things about the 61 reissues as well as 61 standards (I think). Anyone else out there with a great SG suggestion and/or experience owning more than one. I would like something on the lighter side if possible. What are some of the differences? Thanks for any insights.

fos1 and Didds like this.
  2. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Which SG do you have?
    Junior, Special, Standard, Custom?
    Any photos?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
  3. sgguitarzz

sgguitarzz Member

Its a special that I changed out the p90's to humbuckers when much younger.

cerebral gasket likes this.
  4. Neil from Ottawa Canada

Neil from Ottawa Canada Member

67.5 here...have played a good variety of guitars too. I would suggest coil-split 57 Classic pickups and go from there. Versatile, complementary to what you have. Gtresch 5422TG has made my day recently; the body is 2.5 inches thick at the neck heel no problem for me.

Turned Into a Martian likes this.
  5. PauloQS

PauloQS Member

I’m a huge fan of the current Standard ‘61 original collection USA SGs. I think they are some of the best Gibson USA guitars out there. You can’t really go wrong with any of the current SG models. I really liked the Tribute and regular Standard as well, but the pickups on the Standard ‘61 is in my opinion the best Gibson USA set out there. I couldn’t get a bad tone out of my Standard ‘61.

6. Neezduts89

Neezduts89 Member

I own two Gibson SG’s currently. One is a 2020 standard, and the other is a 2021 tribute. To me, the standard is top notch. I bonded with mine instantly and I couldn’t be happier with it. It sounds amazing, it plays amazing, and it looks wonderful. It arrived to me in perfect condition and has absolutely ZERO flaws. I love that guitar more than any I’ve ever owned or played, and wouldn’t trade it for the world. My tribute is also a very nice guitar. It’s a bit different, it has a maple neck, uncovered pickups, different tuners, but it also plays amazing. The guitar is very aggressive tonally and is hard to tame. It is a very biting/crunchy tone and it maintains this very well wether it is being played through the clean channel, or the dirty channel. I use the tribute for heavier types of music, and it works great for that. Don’t get me wrong, it sounds great clean, but IMO, not as good as my standard sounds. If I had to pick between the two, I’d take my standard all day. It is such a versatile guitar and has wonderful tone. It can do so many different styles of music and it sounds great for all of them. I won’t even touch another guitar now that I have my SG’s, and I couldn’t be happier with the both of them. I would also like to add that the 61 is a very nice guitar too. I chose the standard over the 61 because I prefer the darker tone of the standard. They sound a bit darker and heavier to me, and that’s what I like. My decision was made based solely off of that, and nothing else. I think both the 61 and the standard look equally as good as the other

Bettyboo and sgguitarzz like this.
  7. Chuteboxehero

Chuteboxehero Well-Known Member

A modern Special or Classic with P-90s. Would compliment your '69 Special with humbuckers. Post up a pic if you get a chance. Would love to see it.

8. sgguitarzz

sgguitarzz Member

Great info thank you. I think SG's are the most versatile guitars around.

Neezduts89 likes this.
  9. sgguitarzz

sgguitarzz Member

10. sgguitarzz

sgguitarzz Member

Attached Files:

• Me.jpg
      Me.jpg
      File size:
      333.6 KB
      Views:
    Bettyboo likes this.
  11. sgguitarzz

sgguitarzz Member

Attached Files:

Bettyboo and Go Nigel Go like this.
  12. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

My first SG was a 1969 SG Special.
    Purchased second hand in 1985.

[​IMG]

I no longer have it, but now have a couple of SG Classics to fill that void.
    Stock P-90 at the neck for cleans.
    Stacked humbucker at bridge for hi gain.
    That's my favorite pup combo.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
  13. Neezduts89

Neezduts89 Member

also, If you’re looking for something light in weight, then the tribute would be great for you. Mine is incredibly light

sgguitarzz likes this.
  14. sgguitarzz

sgguitarzz Member

Thanks all. Great group here.

PauloQS and cerebral gasket like this.
  15. sgguitarzz

sgguitarzz Member

For those that may have bought a newer SG with the Vibrola tailpiece what were your thoughts on them regarding tuning stability, sustain etc.

16. PauloQS

PauloQS Member

My thoughts is that a guitar with a properly slotted nut will stay in tune well. I’m helping a friend pick exactly the Standard ‘61 with Maestro Vibrola. The plan is for me to spend some time with his guitar setting it up so it will stay in tune.

If you go that route yourself I highly suggest you either address any nut issues yourself or have a respectable tech or luthier look at it. If the tech tells you that you’ll need parts, like locking tuners or a different bridge, take your guitar to a different tech or luthier.

Another suggestion would be to order it from Wildwoods. Specifically ask them to take a look at the nut of the guitar upon placing your order. What I like about Wildwoods is that they include the basic initial setup with your purchase together with your choice of strings. My purchase from them was one of the few regular production non-custom shop guitars I bought that did not need nut health attention. I usually do it myself, but since they offered, I asked them to make sure strings weren’t binding at the nut.

17. Bettyboo

Bettyboo Well-Known Member

I've had 5 SGs, and the most pleasure I've had was an SG Junior. Sometimes overlooked, but an amazing guitar with so many sounds to offer, and they are very light. The current SG Juniors are great. That'd be my suggestion.

lawrev likes this.
  18. nate33

nate33 Active Member

Just picked up a CS with Maestro and this is the advice I followed. Worked out well.

PauloQS likes this.
  19. sgguitarzz

sgguitarzz Member

well CS is out of my budget but did you take it to a tech or buy it at Wildwood?

20. chilipeppermaniac

chilipeppermaniac Well-Known Member

Cgasket posted his 2 Classics. I have posted mine elsewhere too.

Here are 3 of my other SG's They all flat out rock.

3 SG's 1.jpg

1987 Special 3 knob, 1976 Std, 2005 Faded Special

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021