Thinking of getting a second SG

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by sgguitarzz, Mar 14, 2021.

1. Wild Bill212

Wild Bill212 Active Member

You are correct, and saw the same pages we all see !

2. Wild Bill212

Wild Bill212 Active Member

I will answer one last time:
    1) I am not your Bud...and WHO? IT WAS ME, and I replied to you based on not wasting too much of my time on your insipid remarks, THATS WHO ! OK?

2) Saying that we disagree is my nice way of saying to you that "I AM NOT A PHYSICIST", and I very much doubt if you are a PHYSICIST as well" . There fore you will not get a debate from me that is uninformed on the PHYSICS subject...

U C, I went by my experience buying, playing and working on GIBSON GUITARS for over 40 years. My guitars sound great, and I did not put yours down saying it.

and just for $#!TS and Giggles, and because you make me laugh,and you may learn something (What? I am not sure and, once again, dont care what you learn or think you know . Because that is how off putting I find you.) BUT, I digress: put a Les Paul or SG FADED, SPECIAL, STANDARD and CUSTOM next to each other, IDGAS which years you select either, and just start PLAYING THEM ALL UN-PLUGGED, and then if you do not hear a difference in the quality of the woods, CONGRATULATIONS...You are DEAF !

I am going to ignore you from now on.

btw, I thought I was wrong once, but it turned out I MADE A MISTAKE, duh ?

3. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

Man, you really are easily offended, huh? I think your defensiveness and lack of emotional control says everything. Humility is a virtue, bud. I believe that you believe you can hear a difference. Even though that's not how electric guitars produce sound. What would an acoustical engineer know?

Please do ignore me, just like you do anything else that contradicts your pre-existing beliefs.

4. Bettyboo

Bettyboo Well-Known Member

I have a small vibrola P90 Special from 2019 (as per my name picture), and it needed some Faber locking studs to aid bridge stability (they fitted straight into the existing holes, no drilling or messing around at all) - I also changed the bridge to a mojoaxe bridge (pretty similar to the original), and the tuning stability and sustain are excellent.

5. Greg Connor

Greg Connor Well-Known Member

I wish I had kept my first SG. It was a ‘67 (I think). Bought new somewhere around my 15th birthday. Now, I STILL only have one wife but 4 SG’s. Variety . . . It will keep you smiling! :rofl:

sgguitarzz likes this.
  6. sgguitarzz

sgguitarzz Member

Well I got to try a 61 Standard hard tail at GC yesterday. It was so light which was nice but the neck again was thicker so I do not think there is much consistency in that area. The guitar was setup horribly and just played and sounded terrible. Worst sounding SG I have played or heard to date. Like I said every guitar is its own thing.

cerebral gasket likes this.
  7. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Maybe you meant the neck had a wider nut, not thicker (front to back).
    1-11/16 nut width vs the vintage 1-9/16.

I always thought most SG with the "61" designation had a thin neck (front to back).

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
  8. DRC68

DRC68 Member

Their site specifies the Standard '61 as having a Slim Taper neck profile. and a 1.69" (1-11/16") nut width, which I think is consistent with originals up until '65? Hard to keep up, they changed specs as often as Imelda Marcos changed shoes.

sgguitarzz likes this.
  9. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

Beautiful Oxblodd SG Standard :smile:

Temp 47568.JPG

DRC68 likes this.
  10. sgguitarzz

sgguitarzz Member

The nut was definitely wider but the neck also seemed thicker.

11. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

Gibsons have always had necks shaped by hand so there is a lot of variation. They have called "Slim Taper" everything from .85" at the 12th fret to as thick as 1.10" at the 12th. At least now they are more specific and refer to the thicker Historic '61 necks as a "1960 Slim Taper". Which I thought was just a typo, but it turns out they're using the 1960 Les Paul neck profile on those. Still confusing to most people though. So they make a big distinction between 1960 Slim Taper and 1961 Slim Taper. Whether there was actually a significant difference between those years in reality, I don't know.

DRC68 likes this.
  12. cerebral gasket

That just reinforces my thoughts of why it is necessary to try before you buy.

I was rotating out my guitars (selling and purchasing) every year for about a decade until a couple of years ago I finally settled on a few that I really enjoy playing.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
  13. macdog

macdog Member

Try a Junior.

cerebral gasket likes this.
  14. cerebral gasket

Legend has it that the absence of a neck pup on a Junior reduces any magnetic string pull that may occur. As a result, having only one pup can make for a better sustaining electric guitar.

I do like the simplicity of a single P-90 and wraparound bridge.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
    macdog likes this.
  15. MikeT57

MikeT57 Member

I like that yellow one. . All very nice though