This is kind of fun (CL find)

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by cheshiergrin, May 5, 2018.

1. cheshiergrin

cheshiergrin Well-Known Member

2. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

If I had a lot of money, it would be fun to try and restore that '68
    to its original condition. But I don't...

So I'll play the guitars I have. I think the original price for a '68 SG was
    about $300.00. Those were bigger dollars then. My tuition for a semester of
    College at University of Michigan was about $185.00 then, or maybe a little more.
    Those were my choices then: pay the tuition, stay in school and keep my draft deferment
    or buy a Gibson and play it till I got drafted and sent to 'Nam.

I never bought an SG until 2008...

Layne Matz likes this.
  3. Layne Matz

Layne Matz Well-Known Member

Out of curiosity, what guitars did you use back then? Considering costs and practical use...

4. Col Mustard

The first guitar I bought with my own money was a Crest ES-335 copy. MIJ...
    I saw it in a pawn shop in 1965 and was entranced, and I didn't have much money. I was
    working for minimum wage then which was $1.25 an hour. The guitar was better
    looking than it sounded. *shrugs ...but it was mine, and I was 16 and I had big
    dreams. I probably paid about $69.00 for it, which I earned by pumping gasoline
    at the fuel dock of a marina.

When I went to College in 1966, I traded the Crest in on a Gibson FJN acoustic.
    I couldn't afford an amp. I had been using my father's old stereo as my practice
    amp. I didn't have any gigs of course. So I couldn't go to college with an electric
    guitar and no amp. The Gibson acoustic was the first good guitar I ever owned.
    diag 1968.jpg
    Here's the young Kernel on the Central Campus of the University. ca 1968...
    Big dreams and all... The Gibson FJN was made in Kalamazoo in about 1962
    or so. Can't recall how much I paid for it, it was a used guitar. But I could jam
    with other players and I didn't need to pay for an amp, or haul one around.
    I didn't have a car either.

Fast Fwd to 1972... by that time I had gotten married and fathered a lovely
    daughter, and my marriage had crashed and burnt along with many of my dreams.
    I was depressed and downhearted, hung down, brung down, strung out and stoned.
    But I saw an ad for a Fender Bass, must sell. I was working in a restaurant on
    the day shift, trying to pay off my student loans and the debts from my failed
    marriage.

So I put five twenties in one pocket of my raggedy jeans, and one more twenty
    in the other pocket, and went to see the man about the bass. He pulled it out from
    under his bed. It was a 1966 Fender Jazz Bass. I looked at it critically. The neck
    was bowed. I pointed this out, and offered the guy my $100. He wanted more money,
    like $150.00. That was a week's pay for me in those days. I pulled out the five
    twenties, and showed him the cash.
    I said, "This is all I got, man. I'll have to get
    that neck fixed or likely replace it."

He looked at the cash, and hesitated, and then
    he took it. We shook hands. The bass was mine. It was actually a fair price.
    You could get a new one for like $350.00 then. And the neck was definitely bowed.
    I walked ten blocks with that heavy bastard down to Dan Erlewine's shop in Ann Arbor,
    and I asked him to straighten the neck and set the bass up for me. He did.
    I still have that bass. And I've had very few problems with it since. I've played that
    bass from Tallahassee to Talkeetna, and from Rockland Maine to Santa Cruz.
    Sluggo 1976_wtrclr@100.jpg
    And my music career actually began with that bass. Before that I was just a
    singer-songwriter who drove pizza cars and attended college, and had a wife and
    a baby daughter. But the fact that I owned a Fender Bass helped me find a place in a
    band, and then in another one, and another one....
    Sluggo 1979 Depot 2.jpg
    I don't mean to derail this thread much... I would have loved to have bought a 1968 SG
    instead, but the bass has always been in my soul... so when I saw that guy's ad, I reached for it like a drowning man reaches for a life ring. I believe that it did save my life, to
    begin my music career at the bottom like that. Nothin' to lose, nowhere to go but up.

Buying that bass made me into a better bass player than I am a guitarist.
    I play both, and would love to own a truly vintage guitar like the one the OP posted.
    I still love both... and I'm still gigging after all this time.

So let's hear from other members or guests who actually own a '68 SG, and can
    tell us just what we are missing when we pass up the OP's painted lady.

5. gasket

gasket Active Member

6. Karlos Screamer

Karlos Screamer New Member

You can feel the LSD through the body! :rofl:

Layne Matz and cheshiergrin like this.
  7. Plan Zero

Plan Zero Active Member

Here's my 68
    20180308_134628.jpg

Col Mustard and cheshiergrin like this.
  8. Col Mustard

that's the real deal...
    It almost looks like British Racing Green, which I think would be a lovely
    colour for a Gibson. But it was prolly Pelham blue a long time ago, in a
    galaxy far away.

Plan Zero likes this.
  9. Col Mustard

now this is the one where you can feel the LSD trip
    when you listen to the music... He was high as a jay-bird
    at this show. no contact paper necessary...
    100773-woodstock_artist_10_617_409.jpg

10. koaguilds

koaguilds Well-Known Member

Inverness green perhaps? Rarer than pelham blue Gibby's.

Col Mustard and cheshiergrin like this.
  11. 67King

67King Member

I seem to recall a story about his tripping out and the neck of the guitar turning into a snake on him for that show. Man, I dig his early stuff. That one had P90's, didn't it?

Saint Toad and Karlos Screamer like this.
  12. Col Mustard

yup
    SG with P-90s is one of the classic killer tones, ever since the beginning.
    Santana played some of his best music with his,
    and so did Pete Townshend IMHO.

plankton likes this.
  13. Layne Matz

I heard it was peyote... For those with experience you know the difference. Peyote gets a little scary.

An SG with P90s... Like a magic spell, just cant be beat. Early Santana and Doors exemplifies the superb capabilites of that combination. I almost bought a high quality white SG partscaster with P90s and a bigsby for $100 last December but passed it up- HUGE mistake.

Thank you Col. for explaining your experiences all the time, theres much to learn from others life experiences.

Col Mustard likes this.
  14. Layne Matz

DAMN. That's a real fine intricate piece of work, puts The Fool to shame...

cheshiergrin likes this.
  15. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

cheshiergrin likes this.
  16. Col Mustard

well, thanks for asking... and sometimes a musical instrument can change your life.
    That has certainly been the case for me, several times in my long and checkered career.
    The Fender Bass made my music come alive, and that made me come alive and stop dying
    so young. That's priceless.

The Gibson SG changed my life in like 2008, and gave me a whole new way of looking
    at music, and listening. So you should be GLAD that you didn't buy a $100 POS...
    Save your money for the real thing. You can get a great used SG faded special for like
    $450 to $500, a straightforward workingman's Gibson
    which is no more and no less than it seems to be. That's what you should be aiming for. Not a parts caster...
    Gibson doesn't make anything that's possible to do that with. So it was likely to be B.S. and
    your instinct protected you, and you passed it up. No mistake at all.

I too love to read other players' life experiences, and on this forum we have some
    remarkable individuals, maybe you already know.

17. Layne Matz

It was the Bigsby that scared me off actually. I hadn't used one much before and it seemed very awkward. I had used a vibrola quite extensively on a 68' SG that was at a shop in Nashville. There were two at the guitar center for a long time and I always played those... I would just hang around and play because I couldnt afford one. I wasnt there too often though, didnt have time for that so used my acoustic with .13s which really shaped how I learned and play.

I see where you are coming from and you are probably right about Gibson workhorses. In my situation I never have much money to spend on anything besides food and bills. My mother said I could have $150 to get a guitar and Amp. Thats a lot for us. I went to get the guitar and the guy- who is a very rich producer and session musician who has a tiny mansion with a massive studio- gave me an amp because he had dozens all over and I said I wouldnt be able to afford one for a week or two. The SG popped up and i bought it, wasnt the best but it will do. I was going to save and buy a used AC30 from GC but the Envoy 110 I got free was alright. I was just getting into playing electric anyways, I had to learn how to use an amp properly amd how the dials work and all that.

As for the white partscaster SG, I met the guy and played it through a Marshall amp and it was really awesome but I didnt want white one at the time and i was deadset on a Vibrola which i never could afford anyways. Even now I'm looking for the cheapest possible option for a vibrato bridge- no name eBay bigsby. I love P90s more than Humbuckers as well...

18. Layne Matz

Thats how you hijack a thread, ladies and gents

P.S. I'm a strong proponent of cheap used guitars if they feel and play good. All my guitars and my SG bass were quite cheap and each is highly playable- after a few adjustments here and there but that might just be a little mod fever. I dont really care what name is on the headstocks, knowing enough about what i like and what makes a durable and playable guitar I would never buy one without thorough inspection and playing. Besides, im never in a position to buy much of anything anyways. I would buy a Tele if i found a cheap one used, IF it felt good.

19. cheshiergrin

cheshiergrin Well-Known Member

I am all for a thorough thread hijack but I must really disagree on the bigsby ( just my opinion of coure) the bigs is the perfect wang bar assembly.:D

20. Layne Matz

Ive come to appreciate Bigsbys, I've only played them in stores. I just needed to adjust to them a bit- bigsbys that is. A vibrola was what felt perfect to me but they are just so damn expensive...