This might be the best Overdrive pedal I've come across...

Discussion in 'Effects' started by Chuteboxehero, May 21, 2020.

1. Chuteboxehero

Chuteboxehero Well-Known Member

I love overdrive pedals, especially Tube Screamer and Klon inspired pedals. I don't think I've bought one I haven't liked. Most however, are one trick ponies. As long as they do that trick well, I'm happy. What I don't like is the trend of "boutique" pedals starting around $200.
    Anyhow, the local Sam Ash reopened today and for the first time in months, I went pedal shopping. I've heard great things about Earthquaker Devices pedals and noticed their TS808 based Plumes. What sold me on this in particular is the mode switch. You can switch between symmetrical, asymmetrical and no clipping. And all 3 options give you very different but equally awesome results. Mode 1 into a clean 5w amp gives you hot and crunchy overdrive. Into a dirty channel things get crazy. With this pedal the tone and gain knobs are very usable so there is a lot of in between. Mode 3 sounds like a Tube Screamer. Results were as expected through the same amp. What surprised me the most was mode 2. No clipping straight clean boost, which is how I usually run my regular Tube Screamer. Something is very different with this pedal when clean boosting. This thing had my 5w Blackstar howling. In a good way. Like I didn't recognize the sound coming out of it. In a good way. I'm going to try again tomorrow when no one is sleeping to make sure it wasn't some type of placebo effect, but I'm pretty confident it wasn't.
    Long story short, great pedal. Might be the best overdrive I've come across. And the reason I mentioned the price of pedals at the beginning... It was hand built in Akron, OH and cost $99. I appreciate that....
    [​IMG]

DanB, Clifdawg, Clarence001 and 5 others like this.
  2. Clarence001

Clarence001 New Member

I thought my overdrive pedal problem was solved, and now this!

Chuteboxehero likes this.
  3. Chuteboxehero

It really is that good... Been using it all week. Every time I'm finding a new knob setting or guitar and amp combo that's giving me what I've been wanting to hear for a long time. Just killer clean boosted overdrive that makes my tubes sound like they're sizzling.

4. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Well-Known Member

Just saw this post after my thread looking for OD recommendations. I think I’m down to this, the EHX crayon, and the EHX Russian Big Muff (which is different beast entirely, but I can’t decide if I want to try a fuzz for the first time).

After seeing your thoughts, I’m strongly leaning towards this...

koaguilds likes this.
  5. koaguilds

koaguilds Well-Known Member

These have my vote of recommendation. The MXR is more expensive... I got lucky and found it new open box for $65.00. The Crayon is pretty incredible and the tone controls really work well. The MXR is a beast.
    [​IMG]

6. Chuteboxehero

I'll be the first one to admit I have a bit of a problem with overdrive pedals. I tend to want to try them all and as a result have bought and sold many hoping to find one that's all around solid. To my ears the Plumes the best I've come across so far. I haven't bought another OD since I've had that and everytime I run it into a different amp I get a new appreciation for it. Also the way it stacks with other pedals makes it especially versatile.

7. Westernrider

Westernrider Active Member

Timmy.jpg

Here is another OD option similar to the Plume. There area plenty of videos of this thing in action. It pushes amps nicely and stacks nicely with other OD pedals.

I'm running it to push my Orange amp or using it to push my Dirty Little Secret OD pedal.

I've never used the original Timmy so I can't compare the two pedals.

8. Dangerhouse77

Dangerhouse77 New Member

I have to admit I’m obsessed with Earthquaker Devices. The Plunes really is that good. I also have a Speaker Cranker and a Black Eye boost. Usually I run the Plunes with the switch to the left into the Black Eye. I also have a Talons on the way. I’m looking forward to that one since it has a presence knob and my Orange Rocker 15 Terror doesn’t

9. Bad Penguin

Bad Penguin Well-Known Member

As for me, THIS is the one that finally gives my ears the tingles! It's a Boss OD-20, and it covers all the bases for me!
    GEDC1352.JPG

koaguilds and Chuteboxehero like this.