Thoughts on maple necks?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by beerbelly, Sep 12, 2021.

1. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

Not sure if it’s just the camera/strap angle playing tricks. His strap location looks standard to me in these photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, new hearing aid project - exciting
    The construction lines on the pic say it all. Nothing to do with camera angles. And that doesn't appear to be Angus's guitar in your pics.

3. pancake81

Just thumbed through a few photos, and these certainly look like normal strap button locations to me. I doubt he has had them moved, but will review some more this evening.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This last one is probably the most telling. You can clearly see the bottom of the strap peeking past

[​IMG]

4. Go Nigel Go

Go Nigel Go Well-Known Member

Having tanned a bit of leather myself, and being somewhat familiar with the process, it needs to be said that it is impossible to make leather smooth on both sides because of the biological construction of the untanned hide. There is only one smooth side to be had no matter how you do it. The way you make suede is to remove the outer layer on the smooth side which gives an equally rough texture on both sides.

While the strap does look to have been dyed on both sides (easily done), it is most assuredly of a comparatively rough texture in the inside face. The only way to have the inside as smooth as the outside would be to attach another material to the rough face. That can be certainly done, but it is sort of like putting square tires on a bicycle. You could do it, but why would you in this case? If Angus's strap is leather, it almost certainly has a rough texture on the back side. That will absolutely allow you to take your hands of the neck if you need to for a minute.

There may also be other things going on that affect the balance, but you would have to ask his tech or someone who knows for sure to avoid speculation. The wireless unit along with the leather strap could easily account for Angus being able to take his hands off the neck and dance around a bit. My SG will "dive like a Mo'Fo" with a slick vinyl strap, but with a leather strap it stays put just fine if I need to adjust a mic stand or something.

5. pancake81

Because Angus straps are padded, it does in fact have two pieces of leather sewn together with the smooth sides out. I thing the fact Angus plays shirtless for half the show is the reason behind the double smooth sides, to limit chaffing. When you think of it this way it makes a little more sense than putting square tires on a bicycle. I can post some photos of this construction when I am home if it helps.

In the mid to late 90's I was asked to make some leather guitar straps for AC/DC. Here you can see Angus Young wearing one of them. The strap was made of two layers of leather with padding in between, a transmitter pocket down the bottom back and velcro leather tabs running back up for the aerial wire. More than twenty five of the same straps went out to AC/DC and they are still using them now in 2015.

https://www.martinpryceleather.co.uk/products/angus-young-and-ac-dc-leather-guitar-strap

6. Go Nigel Go

Go Nigel Go Well-Known Member

Double thickness and padding would explain a lot. I hadn't really considered that one, but thanks for your first hand knowledge.

So a double sided structure with an open cell foam (making an assumption there) layer would form over a period of a few seconds to the shape of the shoulder under the weight of the guitar, but resist movement nicely due to the displacment of air pockets in the foam and the inherent stiffness of the thicker structure. It is in effect a weak but formable truss that would be just strong enough to resist the minimal forces of "neck dive" once it is in it's new shape.

7. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Once my SG neck dove when playing an outside venue. That happened when I wasn't looking and a dove landed on the headstock.

Go Nigel Go likes this.
  8. pancake81

This should help paint the picture, although it sounds like you have a firm grasp on the build. I think these straps coupled with the weight of the radio transmitter makes for his perfect no-hand balance. Even without the transmitter, one gets no slippage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also have one with a strip of suede on one side, should one really need grip. Then again, when I use this one I play smooth side down and get no slippage.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
    Go Nigel Go likes this.
  9. beerbelly

beerbelly Well-Known Member

Another thought- don't his SGs have really thin necks? That might account for less weight also.

10. Piper68Special

Piper68Special Active Member

Just gotta keep your left arm up high whenever you let go I guess!

Seriously though-it strikes me that there's a big center of gravity difference with the 19th fret neck join vs. the '61 style neck join. On a personal note-I broke the headstock off my '69 many years ago when making mac and cheese while wearing the guitar. Heavy tuners, inattention, foolish youth, and cooking are a bad combo and the 19th fret join didn't help all that a bit.

pancake81 and Go Nigel Go like this.
  11. Carrion

Carrion Member

I actually love em :) my 2017 Faded T SG has a maple neck .. and is quite nice SGF_7.jpg bigs1.jpg !! Gibson thinks nothing of it .. but Fender would :) so that s cool :)

neck1.jpg

pancake81 likes this.
  12. Carrion

Carrion Member

my 2016 SG Faded T has a slim taper neck .. lots o response !!!

13. Carrion

Carrion Member

Thats an awesome SG :)

14. pancake81

Thanks Carrion. She has a special place in my heart and my music room this one

15. Bbr6704

Bbr6704 Member

Hi Carrion, what is this kind of junior guitar behind your SG in the back?

Cheers.

16. Jumpin Joe

Jumpin Joe Member