Thoughts on this 67 Special

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by jhexp, Nov 4, 2015.

1. jhexp

jhexp Member

Another one I'm going to look at. If there's anything amiss, changed wiring etc? Is there a way to tell if the pickups are original?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. jhexp

jhexp Member

Looking at some other cavity pics, I have a feeling those green and red wires aren't original? The cavity shield is obviously gone....

3. PhoenixFear

PhoenixFear Active Member

I'm not an expert on these, but I have noticed cavity shields either fully covering the cavity, covering 3/4 of it (leaving the Switchcraft switch uncovered) or none at all. I don't know why but I have a feeling the wiring is not totally correct, those yellow wires I think are correct, as well as the black vinyl over the other wire, but the green and red heat shrink I don't think is correct. Gibson used just shielded braided wire. The guitar should have a vibrola on it where those three holes are, not a full trapezoid Maestro style but a mini Maestro like what Melody Makers had. Witch hat knobs look correct with the correct font. I'm not sure if all of Gibson's SGs back then had Fretless Wonder frets but it appears the frets on this are pretty low like those.
    This guitar looks familiar from someplace online I have seen but maybe it was just a popular thing to modify. I hope that helps but hopefully someone more knowledgeable chimes in, I could be wrong on this stuff. At least this is all easy stuff to change back to stock if you want.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
    jhexp likes this.
  4. jhexp

jhexp Member

Thanks for that. I suspect that those red and green wires aren't original, I've seen pics of these with witches hats but also with top hats.