three monitor question

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by vkgphil, Aug 31, 2008.

1. vkgphil

vkgphil Active Member

im in the process of googling this with no success yet...

ive been running duel monitors via a GeForce FX5500 with good success on my XP desktop machine. its an AGP card.

now i have in another room collecting dust a nice 19" widescreen lcd monitor that i use occasionally with my laptop. so i think, hey why not plug that into the vga port on the back of the integrated motherboard, which is an MSI board, i cant see the model number.

why do this? i figure i can use the widescreen monitor or tv or video and the other two for my normal pursuits (you never can have enough screen real estate if you ask me)

anyway, no luck. with the geforce installed the integrated video card apparently is disabled. take the card out and the integraded video works. ok, so i look in the bios and i try to see if there is a setting to change there to allow both to run. its set to pci so i change it to agp. no change. the device manager only sees the agp card, i forgot to look at what it shows w/o the card in.

:dontknow:

so currently then short of finding the software solution is to stick with the duel. i have a pci slot available. i wonder if i can get a pci video card that would resolve my issue. this board doesnt have many slots, only the one agp (next time i am going for the additional slots -- $&@#)

anyway if someone here by chance has an idea on this let me know.

2. bradsure

bradsure Active Member

you lost me after 'yet'. ???

Still nothing. :-\

3. Constellation80

Constellation80 Member

Does your motherboard have 2 AGP slots? you will need to run another video card.
    or you can hook them up through USB, here's a link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnycEPymZF8

Your motherboards intergrated videocard won't work, because the bios

4. vkgphil

vkgphil Active Member

no just one agp slot dammit >:(

i was looking at pci card prices. just about all cards have dual support and they are cheap! :) so off to the store tomorrow!!!

5. Constellation80

Constellation80 Member

you'll actually need a new motherboard. When it says PCI for video cards, I belive they mean PCI Express.
    Which has a higher bus rate.

6. vkgphil

vkgphil Active Member

yep i saw that today as well... im not going to get a new mb for this

no biggie deal

7. Constellation80

Constellation80 Member

Well you could still try daisey chaining them through the USB, though it might be slow for gaming

8. vkgphil

vkgphil Active Member

not familiar with this daisy chaining. not gaming so unless pages/windows are slow to render maybe that would work