Tips on strengthening pinky

Discussion in 'Lessons & Techniques' started by TheSandman, Jul 15, 2014.

1. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

I used to use a glass slide on my middle finger. But, it fell and broke. So, I decided to get a brass slide for my pinky. Perhaps, it doesn't build dexterity, but it sure does give your pinky a bit of strength training.

LeadFinger likes this.
  2. javamagic

javamagic Well-Known Member

Try playing keyboards. :)

smitty_p likes this.
  3. gball

gball Well-Known Member

I agree with these comments. I use my pinky A LOT - to the point that other players ask me what I am doing/what chord I am playing. When I was younger I injured my ring finger pretty severely and in order to continue playing while it was healing I relearned how to do a lot of things using my pinky/just three fingers. I never "unlearned" some of those things and they got incorporated into my style of playing even after I was able to use my ring finger again (which took almost a year as the injury was to the tip). Since I used it a lot it got strong over time and since I kept using it the strength has stayed with me over the years.

4. johnny196775

johnny196775 Member

Do slides and bends with the pinky.

5. Dadou

Dadou Well-Known Member

the more I play, the more I use my pinky i.e. power chords, I used to play them with my index and ring finger on the root and fifth respectively, then I added the 8th with the pinky and then I stopped using the ring finger for 1st-5th (2 fingers) power chords instead of which I use my pinky. Makes it also easier for 6th power chords (sliding the index finger one fret lower).

I also find that using thicker string gauges help (I'm experimenting with EB heavy bottoms ATM and I can really feel a bit of fatigue when playing long or repeated arpeggios on the lower strings)

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
    LeadFinger likes this.
  6. johnny196775

johnny196775 Member

Power chords should be called power intervals.

7. LeadFinger

LeadFinger Well-Known Member

Come to think of it, a great pinkie strengthening -- other than playing bass -- is to chow down on your A major shape barre chords, using the pinky tip to barre D,G,B. Make sure you bend the joint enough so the high E rings out. Doing that will give you a great pinky workout. Just warm up your finger muscles fist and get your thumb behind nicely.

8. Tazz3

Tazz3 Active Member

Great video, my pinky has its mind of it own also it curls its not up and down like this guys.
    Thanks for posting iam going to work on this ,he is going down the neck 1234 then going the a string and starting over somebody explain it to me in dummy terms lol.

9. IndyRocker

IndyRocker Active Member

I never really noticed until reading through this thread that my pinky retracts back when I place my ring finger down on a fret. Something else to work on darn it! :)

TheSandman likes this.