To mod or not to mod: That is the Question

Should a fine Gibson like a '61 RI or Custom Shop SG be modded if its owner isn't happy with it?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Col Mustard

Reaction score
pretty cool comments here... lots to consider and enjoy.
poll is running hot for #1, as expected... but I wanted everybody to get a chance to chime in
and/or explain where they're coming from.

there have been other threads here that discuss some different angles of this same
idea... one we actually never seem to get tired of on this forum.

I have had a great time modding my guitars (as I explained at length already)
but I agree with several of our members who say, "Play it for a good long time first, and
get to know what it can do, before you consider taking it apart."

And I'm firmly in the "buy used or inexpensive guitars and "improve' them" school of thought.
That certainly can be thought of as entertainment, and certainly not as "investment."

And I love the comment: "RESALE IS NOT ROCK AN ROLL"
That will have to be chiseled in granite just below the ETSG logo... as a reminder to all of us
about what is really important... and what is NOT.

Because really, the value of any of our guitars is in the music we can make with them.
Whether you are a hardened pro or a Sunday morning gawd-rocker or just play to torment
the others in your apartment building, it's really all about the music.

chilipeppermaniac

Reaction score
Bid said,"It's your guitar, do what mods you think will make you happy, but don't do them until you've played it stock for 100 hours"

After doing so,,,,,,,,,,, then send it to ME

Delboy

Reaction score
I voted "it's your guitar man, do as you wish" because it is. I still don't understand a lot of mods people do to their guitars, I saw an Angus signature guitar for sale recently where the owner had swapped the pickups out, I mean, why would you have paid an excessive amount for a signature guitar only to change it completely??

I've always bought most of my guitars second hand purely because of the price, you can get some great bargains.
The only guitars I've ever bought new is a Fender Strat, because I would never buy one without playing it first because they're all so different. And a LTD SG standard with split coil humbuckers, because it was such a bargain in a sale.

The only guitar I've ever modded was my LTD Standard because I had a Parker Fly and started playing songs in our set that required acoustic and electric guitar sounds. I wanted to play my SG's and didn't get on with the Parker as well.
So I sold the Parker and modded the LTD Standard with a Piezo pickup.
I love all my SG's as they are, I'm never going to sell any of them anyway.

smitty_p

Reaction score
It's your guitar, do what mods you think will make you happy, but don't do them until you've played it stock for 100 hours.

Sometimes, I wish I could "double-like" a post. This would be one of them.

smitty_p

Reaction score
Because really, the value of any of our guitars is in the music we can make with them.
Whether you are a hardened pro or a Sunday morning gawd-rocker or just play to torment
the others in your apartment building, it's really all about the music.

There it is, folks. There it is.

Raiyn

Reaction score
In a way, this conversation reminds me of my muscle car days. The same dilemma exists there, too. Though, admittedly, the resale potential is WAY more influential than with guitars.

Anyway, many guys wouldn't think of modding a genuine, all-original GTO Judge, but they would mod a Le Mans. I wouldn't mod an all-original Olds 442 or a Hurst Olds, but I would (and did!) mod a Cutlass. You realize I'm talking the classic years, here!

I guess I have a similar attitude towards guitars. I wouldn't mod a limited-run or special edition, but I would mod a standard model. Take my Strat, for example. It is the Diamond Anniversary model. I wouldn't mod it, but I would mod a regular American Standard Strat. As for Gibson SGs, I wouldn't mod my SG Original 2, but I would mod a regular SG Standard.

This is just the way I look at it. That's not to say others have to think the same way, but it's kind of my approach.

I used to be into the wild customs when I was younger, now I much prefer restomods. Modern power, handling, and amenities while retaining a vintage look. I see nothing wrong with taking a Camaro or Mustang that came with a six and going nuts. There are some that "clone" special models, which is fine, so long as there's no attempt at passing it off as the real deal at a show or sale setting. Savvy car guys would be checking VIN's and databases anyway so it's not like it'd be easy to dupe someone.

Tangentially: It would be nice if there was a serial number database for each guitar brand. Something like what the car clubs have.
Here's one for Mustangs so you'll get the idea:
http://mustangattitude.com/cgi-bin/statsexplorer.cgi?year=all&f1=vinmatrix

Of course it would've been nice if the manufacturers had detailed records.......

Gibsg

Reaction score
I' m agree Rayin, the Fender Mustang is a great guitar

:rofl:

Last edited:

Super fuzz

Reaction score
I probably wouldn't buy a guitar that needed a lot of mods. If it isn't doing it for me in the store, back to the rack it goes. That said, I bought my 2014 SG Standard knowing I was gonna replace the robo tuners. Tuners are an easy mod to do, and undo, so I wasn't worried.

My LP studio is bone stock. The only thing changed on that are the strings.

RVA

Reaction score
I probably wouldn't buy a guitar that needed a lot of mods. If it isn't doing it for me in the store, back to the rack it goes. That said, I bought my 2014 SG Standard knowing I was gonna replace the robo tuners. Tuners are an easy mod to do, and undo, so I wasn't worried.

My LP studio is bone stock. The only thing changed on that are the strings.
Falling in love with a guitar "as is" is the ideal. It can make the hunt harder, but that is half the fun, right?

shardy53

Reaction score
I voted for do what you want but that is dependent upon certain criteria. I tend to only do mods that are reverseable and I keep the old parts. I also do not buy super expensive guitars anymore but at the same time I also do not buy the entry level brands made by major guitar companies. I have no problem modding a $500 to $1200 guitar. All of my guitars are players not dust collectors because I choose to make my investments elsewhere these days. I personally would advise against anyone ever buying a $2000 to $3000+ guitar that had to be modded to make you happy with it. But then again it's your guitar. Do what you like!

Last edited:

smitty_p

Reaction score
Tangentially: It would be nice if there was a serial number database for each guitar brand. Something like what the car clubs have.
Here's one for Mustangs so you'll get the idea:
http://mustangattitude.com/cgi-bin/statsexplorer.cgi?year=all&f1=vinmatrix

Of course it would've been nice if the manufacturers had detailed records.......

The Guitar Dater Project is sorta like that...if I understand your meaning.

http://www.guitardaterproject.org/

It's not entirely accurate, though.

Delboy

Reaction score
Sometimes I look at the way people mod guitars and think of this.

Dave_Death

Reaction score
My personal opinion is that if you have the choice between (1) selling your expensive SG and buying a cheaper one and the spending the balance on mods to make it sound and play how you want & (2) keeping your expensive SG and then spending a heap on mods to make it sound and play how you want and you choose option 2 well then you have more money than sense.

There's always going to be someone out there who wants to buy that expensive guitar off you as is. Mod it and you not only lose the money you spent on mods but also a considerable chunk of your original purchase price.

Gibsg

Reaction score
Show me your mods and I will share my vote, ok ?

Raiyn

Reaction score
Option 3: Keep the expensive one, treat the mod fever with an Epiphone or a STRATosphere body.

shreddy bender

Reaction score
DON'T DO IT! YOU'LL RUIN YOUR GUITAR! FB_IMG_1474216288458.jpg FB_IMG_1474216302717.jpg FB_IMG_1474216276144.jpg

I'm just kidding. I used this guitar for 10 years before changing the pickup. I DID put the Grovers on after a year through.

Putting the other Dirty Fingers in the neck today! Can't hurt right?

Latest posts