To "Monkey" or Not To "Monkey," that is the question.

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by An Abiding Dude, Aug 28, 2021.

?

Would you affix the "Monkey" sticker to your Iommi SG Special or not?

1. Yes, it's a signature model and I want it to resemble Tony's guitar

7 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. No, it would pigeonhole the guitar too much and I would prefer it had bit of anonymity

21 vote(s)
    75.0%
  1. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

I say "no", but not because it would devalue the guitar (I don't think it would, being a Monkey SG replica), but because you can always change your mind and add it later, whereas good luck trying to change your mind and take it off.

2. Go Nigel Go

Go Nigel Go Well-Known Member

Ha! Good point.
    When my wife got more serious about playing Bass, and we managed to get a band together, she needed a bigger amp. I got her one on E-Bay that filled the bill nicely, and it came with a free bass to boot. It wasn't great, but she didn't dislike it. She wound up covering it in stickers, and we now call it "the Sticker Bass". If anybody wants to get rid of their Monkey Sticker, she may still have some open realestate to fill... :naughty: She has a bit of "punk" in her LOL.

I put a nice Betty Page sticker on my Strat, and don't regret that move at all. Most of my stickers however go on the "chipboard" case of my first real guitar (a used 1971 D-26 Washburn accoustic) which I bought in 1985. I also have the grim remains of my very first ever set of guitar strings (from my original "starter" guitar) tied to the base of the handle. Not much left of them after almost 40 years, but there are still some gnarly twisted bits and a few ball ends to remind me of the old days. I took much better care of the guitar itself, which got a hard shell case around 1990 and is still in pristine condition apart from some visible wear on the frets and fingerboard.

pancake81 likes this.
  3. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

This is an interesting topic.

Hmmm, Gibson leaves it up to you. Aren't the pickups, color, hardware, etc... all configured to be like Iommi's guitar? Well, shouldn't the monkey sticker also have been in place in order to make it Iommi's signature guitar? Gibson passed the buck...now you have to do the headscratching.

Fender did the same to me with their signature Joe Strummer Telecaster. All the guts (hardware, pickups, fret size, etc...) are all in place to match Joe's 1966 Tele. But Fender left it up to us buyers to apply or not apply the various stickers Joe had on his guitar. Well, my decision was.....of course I put the IGNORE ALIEN ORDERS sticker on the guitar. I bought a Joe Strummer model, that sticker makes it so as much as the vintage pickups do.

[​IMG]

4. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

Put the sticker on, don't be afraid of stickers on a guitar. My Strummer Tele was stickerless for about five minutes. Slapped that sticker right on it, no headscratching at all.

And Gretsches? A Gretsch wouldn't be a Gretsch if it didn't have plenty of stickers on it. Pin up girls, James Bond, a cool name, and a G-brand sticker are all over my Gretsch "Thunderball."

[​IMG]

Rusty Chops likes this.
  5. An Abiding Dude

An Abiding Dude Active Member

[​IMG]
    Super cool Tele. But that was a custom shop, I imagine? This new Iommi model seems to be a variation on the '64 SG Special with some of Tony's mods in place but definitely not a custom shop model. The $20,000 ones (above), they slap on the monkey sticker, age it, give you the abandoned, pointless stopbar screw holes and give you John Birch custom pickups. Of course, only if you were in the most awesome Black Sabbath tribute band on the planet would you possibly risk bringing it on stage. I think most just want to flip it for a profit until eventually a collector will just display it or put in a humidity controlled vault. I can live with and actually play a $2,600 guitar with a conundrum.

6. An Abiding Dude

Well, here's what I went with. I'll always know which case is the Iommi case! IMG_0587 2.jpeg

7. Rusty Chops

Rusty Chops Well-Known Member

8. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

I dig man, that awesome. Best of both worlds!! Friggin’ brilliant!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Grizzlyman and PermissionToLand like this.
  9. Kyle Lanning

Kyle Lanning New Member

I agree with the folks who said to put it on the case. On a side note, being an Iommi fan myself (and I'm sure you're a huge one as well) I'd never part with that sticker.... but, the devil's advocate in me says you could probably sell that thing for 200 bucks on Reverb right now hahaha

10. Kyle Lanning

Kyle Lanning New Member

Also - leave it to Gibson to do this to me. I bought my SG Special as a tribute to Iommi and I wouldn't trade it for anything but now I'm itching to have the Iommi one too. If I can ever get my hands on one locally to see if there's a noticeable difference in the voicings of the P90s, I may have to get it.

11. Beery Swine

Beery Swine Active Member

I would not abide.

12. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

No, that Strummer Telecaster is not a custom shop. Just a Made In Mexico (with American parts) reproduction of a 1966 Telecaster. Though the guitar does have all made in America parts, the guitar was assembled in Mexico to keep cost down.

The guitar came with a ton of stuff, but I had to make the pickguard to match Joe's peeling paint guard, and the IGNORE sticker I had to buy from some guy in England (the one that Fender supplies looks nothing like Joe's).

[​IMG]

dbroucek likes this.
  13. RW59

RW59 Member

It's like it was made for that. Looks awesome!

For future reference, is it a "sticker" or a "decal"? If it's a sticker, is it vinyl or coated paper?

I just looked at repro Monkey's and most of the vendors say "decal/sticker" without clarifying if they're waterslide decals or adhesive stickers. And the two terms are both used in this thread.

Decals and stickers have much different wear characteristics. And the potential ways they can damage finishes are different.

14. Brad SG

Brad SG New Member

On a minor note, the sticker you have shown is for a left handed SG , the correct sticker would be the monkey has the bow in his left hand. I recently bought an SG , brand new and had John Birch Simplux 2 pickups installed. I bought my monkey sticker online from a local supplier (who sells to JD Guitars).
    SG 2.jpg

Stevie C. likes this.
  15. Brooklyn Zeke

Brooklyn Zeke Member

Tough call. I have a '69 SG Standard. I placed a paper, inkjet-printed skull with a burning candle atop the skull, between the pups (I'm a Photoshop expert). Looks great. Although it's affixed to the batwing pickguard, it can be removed at will. The monkey is affixed to the body of the guitar behind the bridge. I would be happy to create and send to you at no charge, a reproduction of the monkey, at size, which you can affix to your guitar with either tape (recommended), or water-based glue, and remove at will without damage to your guitar. Just contact me through this forum with your contact info, if interested.

16. Brooklyn Zeke

Brooklyn Zeke Member

Where can I find that thread, Abiding?

17. An Abiding Dude

If you look at the thread menu under "Gibson SG" forum you'll see it. Right now it's two threads below this one in the queue.

18. Stevie C.

Stevie C. New Member

Unless you buy a lefty, the monkey would be on backwards if you put it on a righty..
    All the decals are lefty version..

19. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

The more I check out these photos and reviews I am really impressed by this guitar. Just beautifully done. For you Iommi fans, I am really happy for you.

cerebral gasket likes this.
  20. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

@pancake81
    Thanks for posting the original thread. If I had not seen it, I would have missed out on this guitar. I wasn't in the market for a new guitar and do not visit the main site regularly to see what the current lineup is. When I saw the specs, I had to have this one, not because it was an artist series guitar, but because of the specs. It's the nicest SG Special that I've ever had. There's not a single thing I would change on this guitar except the strings when necessary.

pancake81 likes this.