Tom Petty is Cool!

Discussion in 'Lessons & Techniques' started by Six String, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

I have been doing Tom Petty's "Mary Jane's Last Dance" for some time and there are those that say I sound a bit like him. (I take it as a compliment... ) And another I have wanted to do for some time but never got around to it is his "Refugee".

Well, I finally got on my arse (had to sit down) and with the new tablet hooked to the mixer listened to figure it out. Half way thru the first listen I was playing along. 2nd time thru I hit the breaks fine. 3rd time, I figure it will be one we will do. Very easy in Em, 2 note walk up to G, finish off to the D and back home. 2 rounds to a C followed by A and you have the progression. Break section in D, to G, to C, to D, hold and back to base progression. My lead will have no trouble with hi section and I'm sure he will embellish it to his style. Bass will do his normal great full sound and maybe the most difficult part will be the phrasing of the wording... but like everything else - practice. ()

For those with the musical education, I apologize for my simplistic method, but as it takes me 5 times longer to figure the music/ tab out then it does to listen to it... well, time is money? This is how I have been doing it for 50+ years and it hasn't failed me yet. I suppose this post is to motivate those that have trouble learning new material. You don't need a degree in music to figure it out... Good luck! :thumb:

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  2. JohnnyGoo

JohnnyGoo Well-Known Member

Hey Sixstring i love Tom Petty and ya Refuge is pretty straight forward there.but fun to play.im a better chord man than lead anyhow.i like playin his songs on my Epi Dot.imatation Rickenbacher lol.

3. JohnnyGoo

Damn good job on Mary Jane cover.sounds great

4. Six String

Thanks man... I always believed in "do the best ya can with what you got". :smile:

5. Tom Schuster

Tom Schuster Well-Known Member

Runnin down a dream is another good Petty jam.......your lead player better be ready to dance on the last part of the song though,....lol

6. Six String

Will need to look at that one. As to the end lead, Scotty does EVH, SRV, KWS like I've never seen so he should be able to get it... (Getting his masters in music this May... plays a pretty mean classical guitar as well!) :thumb:

7. Six String

BTW... in the Petty vid, he is playing a pretty cool SG. Check it out.............

8. Karathas

Karathas Well-Known Member

Sweet Cover man. That's what music is all about. when you play like that when people are out having a good time,makes their good time better.

9. Six String

Thank you and couldn't agree more!!! We do what we can... but the number 1 rule is to have fun! :yesway:

10. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

I can't say I've ever been a Petty fan, but the band I'm in is doing Free Fallin' and I Won't Back Down. There's some simple, but nifty slide work in I Won't Back Down. I do have to admit I've enjoyed learning that piece.

I've also decided to use my SG for both tunes.

11. JohnnyGoo

Petty songs kinda like John Mellencamp stuff. I like um both.

12. Six String

I've never done it (don't know why) but "Don't Come Around Here" is a way out tune and one of my favs by Tom. :cool:

13. JohnnyGoo

Thats a good one to.Petty gots alot of little gems out there.his band is good to.

14. Karathas

Karathas Well-Known Member

"You got Lucky" is my favourite Petty toon.

15. lineboat

lineboat Well-Known Member

I took my kids to see Petty a couple years ago. It was a great experience for them. My boy will be 10 tomorrow, and he's a Petty addict. Seeing them live, and watching them turn a well known song into something unexpected is good entertainment, experienced playing, and says a lot for them as a group. I enjoy playing along with Tom Petty tunes!