Tony Iommi's live rig

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by SG John, Apr 23, 2007.

1. SG John

SG John Well-Known Member

I found a picture of Tony's current live rig. Think he's got enough heads?

[​IMG]

Fitting for my 666th post 8)

2. Zeppelin Rules

Zeppelin Rules Active Member

3. Justini

Justini Member

im counting 10 heads; does he really need that many?

4. guitarweasel

guitarweasel Well-Known Member

Hey....If you've got the money, why not.

5. Zeppelin Rules

[quote author=Justini link=topic=13332.msg173188#msg173188 date=1177377654]
    im counting 10 heads; does he really need that many?
    [/quote]

I guess he doesn't like running his amps through a PA. I wouldn't be surprised if only a couple of them were actually used though, and the rest are either backups, or for show. If you look closely at Yngwie Malmsteen's wall of Marshalls there is only ever one actually turned on, and the rest are just for show.

6. guitarweasel

guitarweasel Well-Known Member

When we played with Ratt Warren DiMartini had 6 Marshall heads on 6 cabs.....Only 1 head and 1 cab were being used.

7. SG dan

SG dan Active Member

ive heard that some guitarists even have fake heads and cabs made up to look cool.

8. hellsbellsx81

hellsbellsx81 Member

ill tell you one thing, if you ever see black label society, every single amp is on. And on to the maximum.

9. b0rn_l33t

b0rn_l33t Member

Probably just for show, so anyways, anyone know what kind of SG that white one with the trem is?

10. Justini

Justini Member

[quote author=b0rn_l33t link=topic=13332.msg173214#msg173214 date=1177394473]
    Probably just for show, so anyways, anyone know what kind of SG that white one with the trem is?
    [/quote]
    more about it can be found here
    http://everythingsg.com/forum/index.php?topic=12842.0

11. Rooney

Rooney Member

I was reading somewhere that some guys take all the electronics out of the "show heads" so that they are light to move around. You only really need two stacks in my opinion, everything else is just over compensating.

12. SG Lou

SG Lou Moderator Staff Member

Seems like EVERY head is used..................

THE TONY IOMMI LIVE GUITAR RIG

The Tony Iommi live rig consists of the following constituent parts:-

1) The speakers

The main stage sound comes from eight Laney straight fronted 4 x 12" speaker cabinets. These cabinets are mounted in four steel frames. The cabs are loaded with Celestion G12H loudspeakers. The cabs have been modified to take Neutrik Speakon connectors in parallel with 1/4" jacks.

There are also eight 2 x 12" wedges custom made by Laney distributed around the stage powered from within the guitar set-up. Along with a pair of earlier made but similar wedges for the drums, these serve as guitar monitors for Tony and the rest of the band to 'lock on' to a pure guitar sound as they move around the stage. These wedges are loaded with Celestion G12 75T loudspeakers.

2) The amplification

Each of the 4 x 12" cabs is driven by one of eight Laney GH 100 TI amplifiers. These are the Tony Iommi signature models. (See elsewhere on the website for the history). The GH 100 TI is an all valve (tube) 100 watt amplifier head. The amplifier is designed in such a way that the power amp section can be used independently of its pre-amp section. One of the heads is designated the master head and its pre-amp drives all eight heads as slave power amplifiers. See below for how this is configured. The output tubes used are the TAD EL 34STR, which have proved to be the best of all tested.

All of the monitor wedge speakers are powered by HH V800 power amplifiers, driven via an HH EQ 125 graphic equaliser, from one of the output sections of the Pete Cornish control rack.

3) The signal routing and control

At the heart of the system is a custom built signal routing and control unit from Pete Cornish. At the front end, the guitar plugs in. At the back end, the final guitar signal is fed out to all the power amps.

The guitar signal input can be switched between cable and radio sources. If a wireless system currently used, is the Shure ULX P. After many years of using cables, this is the only unit that Tony has felt happy with.

After the guitar input there are A/B switches for guitar swapping. Then there are 4 in-line relay switched effect send & return loops. Following them are 4 side-chain relay switched effect send & return loops. Following them are another 2 in-line effect send & return loops. Following them are the mute switch, dry mute switch and output boost controls for the various outputs that the Pete Cornish device has.
    The first three in-line loops enable a wah, a compressor and an octave divider. Currently, these devices are a Tycobrahe Parapedal wah, a Drawmer LX20 compressor and either the Boss or Digitech stomp box octave dividers.

The fourth loop is the pre-amplifier of the master amp head. The send from the routing rack goes into the front high input of the head, and the return comes from the effects send of the head. The dry signal then continues through the unit with portions being tapped off for, and mixed back in from, the 4 side-chain effect loops. These are a short slap-back delay from a Korg SDD 1000, a longer delay from another Korg SDD 1000, a chorus from a Korg DL 8000 R multi-tap delay and a combination of effects as required from a Peavey Addverb III.

Next are two more in-line loops enabling a graphic equaliser and a Rocktron Guitar Silencer unit. All the signal cabling within the routing system is run as balanced line resulting in a significant drop of background noise compared to the previous system, it is not usually necessary to switch the Guitar Silencer in line. The graphic EQ in the system is an MXR stereo 15 band rack mount model, used in mono. This is the final unit before the output section that sends the signal to all the power amps. The purpose of this final unit is to iron out the differences in sound on stage due to the differing auditoria that Sabbath perform in.

After these devices the signal is fed to the power amp sections of all eight GH 100 TI amp heads for the main 4 x 12"s and a series of HH V 800 stereo power amps for the wedge monitors.

There is a remote Pete Cornish foot pedal board that houses parallel control of most of the effects loops and also the Tycobrahe Parapedal wah.

All cables in the guitar rig are custom made by Mike Clement of M.C. Electrics. Custom cables are built to order.

13. marty1776

marty1776 Active Member

BW or whoever,
    I got into SG's by playing in a band w/ a guy who had a '88 SG custom. When I joined, I asked for AC/DC suggestions from some die hard fans. I'd like to know which albums Iommi fans favor the most.

14. gwydion

gwydion Member

[quote author=brucewayne131 link=topic=13332.msg173328#msg173328 date=1177471627]
    Seems like EVERY head is used..................

[/quote]

Having just seen Mr Iommi on Wednesday night play live, hell yeah they are all used. Good gods what a loud show...
    It was my first time seeing him live and I was very very impressed...
    And that new SG of his? The beat up looking one?
    OMG What a f'ing tone monster!!!!

15. Ac/Dc_wannabe

Ac/Dc_wannabe Member

All his SG's are tone monsters. I like his "old boy" sg the most though. :)

16. Zeppelin Rules

[quote author=Ac/Dc_wannabe link=topic=13332.msg173666#msg173666 date=1177728844]
    And that new SG of his? The beat up looking one? OMG What a f'ing tone monster!!!!

All his SG's are tone monsters. I like his "old boy" sg the most though. :)
    [/quote]

Bad link. Old boy is sick though.

[​IMG]

17. Ry-Guy

Ry-Guy Member

That one isnt new.. lol He's had that thing since like the born again album I think... . Anyway.. I just saw Him live last night... Hes the coolest looking guitar player thats old enough to be a grandpa... His tone was so monserous that I think it blew a few speakers in the venues PA system toward the last 2 songs.. hahahaha.... I love Iommi.. and DIO... So someone asked what they think our favorite iommi CD is? man.. waaaay too hard to choose... I think id have to go with either Technical Ecstacy or Cross Purposes.... But im one of those crazy die hard fans that is sick of hearing most of the ozzy years... I mean.. just ask any huge Kiss fan if he wants to hear rock and roll all night... haha... okay.. ive typed too much.

18. Ac/Dc_wannabe

Ac/Dc_wannabe Member

[quote author=Zeppelin Rules link=topic=13332.msg173667#msg173667 date=1177729359]

[​IMG]

[/quote]

oops I was tired when I posted that and must of hit the "web link" button instead of the "quote button". fixed it now :roll:

19. Zeppelin Rules

[quote author=Zeppelin Rules link=topic=13332.msg173667#msg173667 date=1177729359]

[​IMG]

[/quote]

Found a better pic of it.

[​IMG]

20. spacefuzz

spacefuzz Member

[quote author=marty1776 link=topic=13332.msg173333#msg173333 date=1177473767]
    BW or whoever,
    I got into SG's by playing in a band w/ a guy who had a '88 SG custom.  When I joined, I asked for AC/DC suggestions from some die hard fans.  I'd like to know which albums Iommi fans favor the most.
    [/quote]

Talk about diehard, I have a shrine to Tony in my house. :notworthy: No matter how sick I get of hearing Iron Man and Paranoid, I still go back to the classic albums. Lately I've been obsessively listening to the first Sab album (paticularly Wall of Sleep and Warning), Eternal Idol (the riff to The Shining is just crushing), and watching the Paris 1970 DVD (I love that live ending to Wall of Sleep.)