TP6 Tailpiece Mod

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by G.T., Aug 7, 2020.

1. G.T.

G.T. New Member

I have a 2019 Gibson sg tribute model. I'd like to know if anyone has installed a TP 6 tailpiece. Do you have to replace the studs? Can you use the old studs from the old tailpiece? Also will the chrome TP 6 match the hardware on my SG. Not sure if the tune o matic on my SG is chrome or nickel plated.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
  2. skelt101

skelt101 Active Member

You shouldn't need to replace the studs when installing the TP-6. However, the hardware on your SG Tribute model is nickel plated according to the Gibson website. So, you're looking at an imperfect match unless everything else is replaced with chrome.

G.T. likes this.
  3. RW59

RW59 Member

TP-6 will fit on your stock studs.

If I'm looking at the correct guitar, you have nickel plated hardware:
    https://www.gibson.com/Guitar/USAG74273/SG-Tribute/Vintage-Cherry-Satin

My SG has chrome pickup covers, but I had a nickel plated aluminum tailpiece so when I got an ABR conversion bridge I got a nickel one and put them on. I don't mind the slight mismatch. Page's #1 LP has gold, nickel, and chrome hardware.

If you keep your nickel polished the difference isn't dramatic. They both look like shiny silver, but the reflections on chrome have a blue-ish tint while the nickel reflections are yellow-ish.

Unpolished nickel turns semi-matte and a chrome TP-6 will stick out a bit. But it's a huge, busy piece that sticks out visually just because of its design -- it may or may not bother you that it'll stay shiny forever.
    ----------------------
    I've had Gibsons where I couldn't hear a difference between zinc or aluminum stop bars. I've had some that sounded better with zinc, and others that sounded better with aluminum.

You've got aluminum, and the TP-6 is heavier than any zinc plain stopbar. So the chances it'll sound different are somewhat higher. But it's a total crapshoot whether it'll be better, worse, or unnoticeable.
    ------------------------
    Can't help but ask "why"? Guitars don't have friction-fit wood tuning pegs that can be stubborn about fine tuning. Tailpiece fine tuners are awesome on violins, but I've never understood why Schaller/Gibson adapted the concept for guitars.

If you're having tuning issues, it's the nut slots and the TP-6 won't help at all.

If you're trying to cure neck dive, the TP-6 is a heavy beast but it's not that heavy and is unlikely to help.

If it's just for looks, only you can decide if the mismatched plating is ok.

G.T. likes this.
  4. RW59

RW59 Member

20200608_183125.jpg

Polished nickel next to chrome. Differences in the highlights but not a super dramatic clash.

G.T. likes this.
  5. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

What do you mean by tribute model?

6. skelt101

skelt101 Active Member

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
  7. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

There's a subtle, yet existing, difference between a "Gibson SG tribute model" and a "Gibson SG Tribute" so I thought it best to ask just in case. Also, there's a not so subtle difference between just writing a clarification and writing a clarification underneath a GIANT FUCKING RIDICULOUS MEME. The latter is just annoying, but perhaps forgivable if you're under 16 or above 70...

8. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

2019 SG Tribute is a re-named SG Faded (previously SG Special Faded) but with a crown inlay silkscreened on the headstock.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
  9. skelt101

skelt101 Active Member

Sheesh VT, simmer down. Aren’t we all friends here? “GIANT FUCKING RIDICULOUS MEME” removed. As far as the Gibson website is concerned, there’s only one SG Tribute for 2019. Hence, I couldn’t tell if you were being serious or not. Apologies that offense was taken.

10. RW59

RW59 Member

Google gave me the impression that there was only one "SG Tribute" in 2019, but Google has given me the wrong impression before. They could have done a special run for GC, CME, Wildwood, or someone.

Or it could be a NOS earlier Tribute that the OP bought in 2019. (If someone has a guitar in their hands and can't tell if it's chrome or nickel, and can't be bothered to look up the specs themselves, I don't entirely trust the minimal info they give to be 100% accurate.)

That's why when I linked the specs I said, "If I'm looking at the correct guitar, you have nickel plated hardware".