Traded a Strat for a SG

NCJR

Reaction score
My 1st post BTW. Alway been a Strat guy , had a few LPs and PRSs but never a SG. I freaking love this thing, the tone is unlike anything I ever owned. I think it's a 2000 Special from the serial number. The guy I got it from didn't seem to know much about it.
At 1st I thought it was black but it's translucent , also has a ABF bridge. I believe I got what looks like a 60s case with this guitar also. 1917618B-FD66-4E1C-B51B-DFE77F4B32FC.jpeg B16FE816-0BFF-4239-AC8C-2AB5B1083499.jpeg

Attachments

• 307CBBAA-D553-4254-BA05-6A2D5444310C.jpeg
    307CBBAA-D553-4254-BA05-6A2D5444310C.jpeg
    573.5 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Westernrider

Reaction score

This guitar is beyond awesome. Thanks for posting the picture.
The underappreciated and lowly LP studio is Gibson's greatest achievement! Don't kick it by the wayside. These guitars play and sound every bit as good as the higher priced versions.
The color is perfect, and maybe, just maybe, a couple of us would appreciate having a wine red SG.

An Abiding Dude

Reaction score
My 1st post BTW. Alway been a Strat guy , had a few LPs and PRSs but never a SG. I freaking love this thing, the tone is unlike anything I ever owned. I think it's a 2000 Special from the serial number. The guy I got it from didn't seem to know much about it.
At 1st I thought it was black but it's translucent , also has a ABF bridge. I believe I got what looks like a 60s case with this guitar also. View attachment 48869 View attachment 48873
Welcome to the SG club. You definitely have a Special there (dot inlays, no crown on the headstock are the most obvious giveaways). i just picked up my Strat after a long hiatus and it felt....condensed(?) compared to an SG. Definitely a different experience, but a good one.

NCJR

Reaction score
That wasn't my only Strat. I have 2 more. Damn I'm thinking about getting a Std SG now. I haven't had GAS in years.

Col Mustard

Reaction score
Welcome to ETSG!

We see posts from time to time where guys sign up and say, "Damn! where's this guitar been
all my life..." I know the feeling. I played acoustic and bass for years and years before I fell
for the SG allure.

In my humble opinion the SG is one of the best designs Gibson ever created.
I'm not a Les Paul guy. I'm so happy with the two SGs I own, I don't think I need
a lester. My SGs will do anything I'm capable of.

I also love my Tele and my Epi ES-339 P-90 pro guitar. Each of my instruments is totally unique
and I love to be able to pick them up at will and harness what they can do.

So tell us what you think. How do you use the different guitars you have?
And where does the SG's tone fit into your music?

Col Mustard

Reaction score
Oh yeah, and +1 on the kudos for the Les Paul studio...

I don't own a Les Paul, but if I did, the Studio faded brown would likely get the nod. Either that or
the Epi Les Paul Tribute. But prolly the Studio faded. I regard Les Pauls as overblown, overpriced and
over-rated. But that's why I love my SG. *grins

For me the Les Paul Studio does everything that its more expensive cousins do
so I could never pay Les Paul prices. I'd look for a used Les Paul studio, and then figure out why its
owner sold it... Then I'd put that right and rock.

DrBGood

Reaction score
That wasn't my only Strat. I have 2 more. Damn I'm thinking about getting a Std SG now. I haven't had GAS in years.
Don't get a Standard, it's just a SG with a bit more bling to it. Get a P90 SG if you're going to get another SG. You'll fall over just like you did for that first SG.

And hail to the wine red Studio !

2008 Gibson Studio.jpg

TheDixiePig

Reaction score
Similar experience to the Col. above. I have played bass for years, mainly Fender P-basses. Every time I tried to get into guitar I went for a Strat being a Fender fanboy. They just never felt right, and as a result I quit trying. Fast forward a decade or so and I'm playing in a band with a rather short lady on guitar. First couple of practices she brought a Strat. It was huge on her, but being a great player she worked around it. Then one day she shows up with a Gibson SG tribute in faded brown. I asked to play it after practice and fell in love. Both the width and radius of the neck fit me better, and I already loved the SG look. It felt effortless to play. When I had the money to buy a nice guitar, it had to be an SG! Enjoy your new guitar, have fun, and play it till the knobs fall off.

PS: I would dig a wine red SG, that Paul looks great in that color.

Maguchi

Reaction score
What kind of Strat did you trade for it? Either way, I think you got the better deal.

Latest posts