"Transforming" a guitar's sound (Curly cord content)

Discussion in 'Tone Zone' started by Pearly Gator, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Pearly Gator

Pearly Gator Member

Had some fun with my SG Classic & P90's over the weekend. I was playing it directly into my Marshall clone. I was plugging the guitar directly into the amp and, just for grins, I tried a curly cord.

Sweet! The SG Classic morphed into a very bluesy guitar with a unique sonic character. It was like a totally different instrument. It still had highs and lows but the midrange took on an extra rich tone. If you have one laying around, you should try it with your single coil guitars.

I attribute the sound change to not just a change in capacitive loading but also to inductive reactance. I've liked using one with my Str*ts for years but this is the first time I've tried one with P90s.

Before you poo poo the idea, check out what the guy below uses. Maybe it was his secret weapon. ;)

Cheers!

PG

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. iblive

iblive Well-Known Member

I had a curly cord once upon a time. Kept having to put new ends on it... till it finally died. :cry:

3. Tenafly Viper

Tenafly Viper Member

Curly cords aren't hard to find. I use them when I remember to bring it out. I just like old school cords.

4. mdubya

mdubya Well-Known Member

Curly chord is always plugged straight into my guitars, usually leading to my Maestro Fuzz.

5. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

oh my goodness... don't really know what to say on this one. Never ever thought a cord could change my tone. Well that isn't totally true, a bad cord can sure change my tone ;D

I'm open minded though and would try it just for fun if I had a curly cord around but haven't used one in at least 20 years. Straight cords with right angle jacks on my gibsons and straight with straight jacks on my strat.

6. iblive

iblive Well-Known Member

For my acoustic guitar I purchased a Monster "Acoustic" guitar cord. For the electric I have a Monster "Rock" guitar cord. One day I just grabbed the closest cord to plug the electric in and it happened to be the acoustic cord. I was playing along and I couldn't for the life of me figure out what I'd done to either the guitar or my amp. It sounded that bad. As a last resort I changed cords and used the correct one for the application. Fixed it.

Read a Guitar Player article where they tested a whole bunch of low, mid and high end cords. They tested resistance, RF interference and other "scientific" stuff as well as the good ole ear test. It made for an interesting read.

http://www.guitarplayer.com/article/49-guitar-cables/apr-08/34729

Moral of the story.... yes, cords do matter.