Travel overseas with my Gibson SG using OHSC (TKL)

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Impellitteri, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Impellitteri

Impellitteri New Member

Hi Guys,

I've been thinking for quite sometime now if I should bring my Gibson SG with its OHSC (TKL). We will be travelling via airbus and want to know if it can endure the throwing, stacking, etc. whatever along with the different luggage it will came along with.

Thanks for your inputs.

2. Hector

Hector Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    Impellitteri and Susihukkanen like this.
  3. Markaria

Markaria Member

I would take a cheap guitar if it were me...long time ago used to be able to take a guitar as a carry on... i doubt they would let you anymore but its been quite some time since ive been on a flight

Impellitteri likes this.
  4. Hector

Hector Well-Known Member

Only way to know is to call the airline.

Although, they might claim you could take off the strings mid-flight and use them to strangle people...

Impellitteri likes this.
  5. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

There's several ways you can go:

1. If you MUST have your fine Gibson with you:
    Buy a high quality airline ready case, AND some insurance to cover theft
    and/or damage, and check your instrument with other baggage like they say you must.
    The Gibson hard case is lovely and elegant, but should NOT be subjected to airline gorillas.
    It was never designed to stand up to that kind of abuse, and is easily marred or smashed.
    I recommend the SKB-61 case, or one made by Hiscox. Pricey, but they protect your SG
    and can't be destroyed by the big apes. A guitar case that says Gibson on it is a
    Theft Magnet. What you want is a Chick Magnet...

2. If you don't want to risk your Gibson SG (and you have a place to leave it where it
    would actually BE SAFE from theft at home) Take a cheaper guitar in a gig bag and
    carry it on. Check with ALL the airlines to make sure this is still legal.
    For about $500, you might be able to buy a used Epiphone G-400 and and a really high
    quality gig bag that's comfortable to carry and fits in the overhead. Get the Epi set up
    by a good luthier and travel without so much worry. Chicks don't discriminate
    against Epiphone players, if your hair and your nails are clean and you don't smell too bad or act like a jerk.

3. Fly with no guitar, and buy (or rent) something over there. This is an adventurous choice to make,
    and depends on Exchange Rate as well as whether there's any guitar shops where you're going.
    But last time I went to Maui, that's what I did. I found a guitar shop, and looked at all the
    instruments they had on display. Most of them were junk. I tried one, and the guy in the office
    saw me playing and said, "uh, let me show you something else..." He brought out a decent
    Guild guitar and I rented that happily. I bought some strings from him, and put them on.

4. Get a Telecaster. *grins ...then do what Bill Kirchen does, and unscrew the neck.
    Pack the parts in a box with some foam and check that. Telecaster will be fine, no worries.
    When you arrive, put the guitar back
    together and string it up and you're ready to rock. Kirchen does this all the time, so his Tele
    has had steel studs installed where the neck screws go. So he doesn't wear out the threads inside
    from all that screwing. Kirchen has a custom case for his disassembled Tele, and THAT fits in the
    overhead, so he doesn't check it, but carries it on. This is the best idea, really. You need a Tele
    anyway, doesn't everyone?

Good luck, and travel safe. Last time I was overseas with instruments, I packed a small pedal board
    in my checked bag. The Truetone One Spot power source will work with 220 or 120 Volt power, so
    all I needed was to buy some adapters and I could plug in where ever I was. I rented an amp,
    traveling with amps is only for big stars.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    Hector, Impellitteri and S.Ustain like this.
  6. gball

gball Well-Known Member

I sure wouldn't do it with the stock TKL. At a minimum I would put it in an SKB-61 as the Col. recommends above. If it was a more expensive guitar I would spend the extra money and go full flight case.

Impellitteri likes this.
  7. El Marin

El Marin Active Member

Madrid, Spain, EU, Earth, Solar system, Milky way
    I have travelled many times with my SG and a LP Junior, one or another.

Look the company web and check their instruments on board politics. Then print it and use it as many time people who check boarding passes are a subcontract and they earn money sending things to the sentinel.

I found that Sg case fits Easy Jet policy but I had to fight it many times

Impellitteri and Col Mustard like this.
  8. S.Ustain

S.Ustain Active Member

Col Mustard nailed it, IMO. I love my best guitars, but now do that Tele "takedown" method with a beautifully playable Squier. If I really had to have one of my "good ones" with me, I would either do the road case approach that Col Mustard suggests, or possibly (depending on destination) ship it separately, in advance. But that's why I have the Tele -- the other stuff is never relaible or convenient enough, at all, for me.

9. Impellitteri

Impellitteri New Member

Thanks a ton my friend. It's really risky

10. Impellitteri

Impellitteri New Member

Thanks. One old friend of mine told me to get a SKB with TSA locks

11. Impellitteri

Impellitteri New Member

Right. Yes it fits easy but I was thinking compared to any box type case, it feels like more vulnerable

12. Impellitteri

Impellitteri New Member

Wish I could do that "strangle people" if they break my guitar. Thanks

13. Impellitteri

Impellitteri New Member

Tried it before with my Gator, I put on a entry level Japan Strat. Luckily, nothing happened.

14. Impellitteri

Impellitteri New Member

It makes me sad seeing these videos but thanks

15. Hector

Hector Well-Known Member

I was just joking around, but yes, those videos are sad...

16. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

Welcome to ETSG!

17. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

I am new here but survived a trip back and forth to Dallas. Was able to carry on my guitar ( American airlines ) into cabin and using a gator TSA case asked very nicely to stewardess if they could please find a place for it. It made it into first class cabin both times ( not me ha ha ) once stowed overhead and the other time in first class coat closet.

Maybe it helps being both old and polite or maybe I just got lucky?

18. guidothepimmp

guidothepimmp Active Member

i have travelled with a les paul in ohsc and a sg also in its ohsc on 2 separate occasions. both times i was allowed to take the guitars on board. one flight, it went in the overhead bin, the second flight the air hostess put it in the closet in 1st class. i think it does depend on the airlines. i flew SAA and Delta from USA to RSA.
    for the the connecting flights within the USA, Memphis to Atlanta the guitar went in the overhead bin too. from Washington DC via New York i had to leave the guitar at the door and they stuck it in the hold. this was just because it was a really small plane.
    i have heard horror stories flying in europe, but never experienced it first hand. i just make a point of being extra friendly aand smiley and then super greatful when they help. it helps if you speak to them before they open the gate for boarding. they sometimes let you board first after the elderly and people with kids to ensure there is space

19. ricardo_vicente

ricardo_vicente Active Member

I made the mistake of checking my Rickenbacker 330/12 on a flight just recently (I even paid extra for "transportation of a musical instrumentin the hold"). The standard Rickenbacker case is an SKB and as solid as a rock so I wasn't too worried. That didn't stop the baggage handlers from wrecking the case. If you're familiar with SKB cases, you know it takes some deliberate abuse to damage one.
    This is how it arrived (see below). Luckily the guitar was not damaged - those cases really are excellent - but it still took a couple hundred bucks off a potential resale price of my guitar. Those Rickenbacker cases are unique and are not cheap to replace!
    If you have to fly with a guitar, carry it onboard as hand luggage. Book an extra seat if you have to.

[​IMG]

Logan likes this.
  20. Hector

Hector Well-Known Member

Ouch!!

ricardo_vicente likes this.