Triple P90 SG goodness

Dave Johnson

Reaction score
I did it.
I converted my 2 P90 SG that had previously been converted from a 2 humbucker SG, into a 3 P90 SG.
It needed to be done. Large guard, P90's, witch hats, pure 60's.
Saw a thread on another forum a couple weeks ago about Gary Clark Jr. & his custom shop 3 P90 SG and it got me thinking & gassing. Gibson never made one. I was on a mission.
What could go wrong...
First thing I did was a swimming pool route on the guitar.
DSC05408_zpsdsuiylbc.jpg

Also made a stair stepped insert for the P90's to mount to, avoiding the bars attached to the back of P90.
This insert gives the pickup mounting screws a little more wood to grab onto.
DSC05410_zpsn8yv04hk.jpg

Then made a pickguard from black 5 ply stock.
DSC05411_zpsni8nf7h8.jpg

Put it all back together & wired it up. Stuck the Bigsby back on, strung it up and it lives.
DSC05420_zpsddxazclm.jpg

We now have a triple P90 SG with Alnico 5 magnets and a RWRP middle pup for hum canceling in neck & middle and bridge & middle positions.
DSC05426_zps3zuqhofg.jpg

Bridge & neck pickups with the 3 way switch are wired to one set of volume & tone pots, middle pickup is wired to the other set.
Sure like it so far. May play around with some push pulls to do phase reversal and maybe put a pair of pickups in series.

AngelDeVille

Reaction score
Why did you have to post that?

I had just logged on to start a thread on what route I should go to acquire a P90 equipped SG.

I'm normally not a fan of a large guard, but with the triple p90's it fits better with the look.

And a Bigsby too!

You are not playing fair...

SG standard

Reaction score
Wow, that looks amazing! Bet it sounds amazing too. I want one... In a sane world, you'd be working for Gibson. :)

Dave Johnson

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. It's always fun hacking the snot out of a perfectly good guitar.
Incredible ! You're the master !

Are we comparing to this one ? If so, your's looks better.

908b0fe66c5f06d36dd5cf4fe4861c50.jpg
Yeppers, that's the one that assaulted my sensibilities and left me sleepless at night...
Using the donor SGJ I also ended up with the 24 fret neck, though not as pretty as that ebony board.

Here's my "in the case on the fancy rug shot".
DSC05430_zpsowspg5cs.jpg

Now if I could just do something about that hideous anniversary banner at the 12th fret...
I'm pretty reluctant to try to splice in a matching rosewood patch but I see no other way other than the bogus position marker stickers, that claim to simulate MOP inlays.

DrBGood

Reaction score
Here's my "in the case on the fancy rug shot".
DSC05430_zpsowspg5cs.jpg

Now if I could just do something about that hideous anniversary banner at the 12th fret...
I'm pretty reluctant to try to splice in a matching rosewood patch but I see no other way other than the bogus position marker stickers, that claim to simulate MOP inlays.
Hahaha ... priceless that photo !

About the 120th inlay, what about a brown felt pen ?

Or if you really want it to disappear, send the whole thing to me. I'll make sure you never see it again :)

Raiyn

Reaction score
I did it.
I converted my 2 P90 SG that had previously been converted from a 2 humbucker SG, into a 3 P90 SG.
It needed to be done. Large guard, P90's, witch hats, pure 60's.
Saw a thread on another forum a couple weeks ago about Gary Clark Jr. & his custom shop 3 P90 SG and it got me thinking & gassing. Gibson never made one. I was on a mission.
What could go wrong...
First thing I did was a swimming pool route on the guitar.
DSC05408_zpsdsuiylbc.jpg

Also made a stair stepped insert for the P90's to mount to, avoiding the bars attached to the back of P90.
This insert gives the pickup mounting screws a little more wood to grab onto.
DSC05410_zpsn8yv04hk.jpg

Then made a pickguard from black 5 ply stock.
DSC05411_zpsni8nf7h8.jpg

Put it all back together & wired it up. Stuck the Bigsby back on, strung it up and it lives.
DSC05420_zpsddxazclm.jpg

We now have a triple P90 SG with Alnico 5 magnets and a RWRP middle pup for hum canceling in neck & middle and bridge & middle positions.
DSC05426_zps3zuqhofg.jpg

Bridge & neck pickups with the 3 way switch are wired to one set of volume & tone pots, middle pickup is wired to the other set.
Sure like it so far. May play around with some push pulls to do phase reversal and maybe put a pair of pickups in series.
Yer a madman Dave!

Of course I'm gonna want to see it in person soon.

Hammer

Reaction score
Old post, I know, and possibly silly question, but with the large guard and swimming pool, why not just mount to the pickguard and save some work?

Raiyn

Reaction score
Old post, I know, and possibly silly question, but with the large guard and swimming pool, why not just mount to the pickguard and save some work?
Doesn't work that way.
Unless they're dogears, they're mounted through the pickup into the wood of the cavity.
963px-P90_soapbar.jpg

Note the Phillips screws.

Dave Johnson

Reaction score
Three reasons actually, the pickup routes would have to be made wider to fit the mounting bracket and hardware.
Right now the swimming pool is only as wide as the pickup.

Second reason, those brackets are next to impossible to find. They'd have to be made. Not a problem for me.
But that wasn't how I wanted to go.

Third reason, cleaner look. Didn't want six mounting screws showing in the pickguard.

Still loving the conversion six months later. Has three Lollar P90's in it now with a push pull to put the neck & bridge pickups in series. Fattens up the tone a bit.

Gahr

Reaction score
Three reasons actually, the pickup routes would have to be made wider to fit the mounting bracket and hardware.

Second reason, those brackets are next to impossible to find. They'd have to be made. Not a problem for me.

Third reason, cleaner look. Didn't want six mounting screws showing in the pickguard.

Still loving the conversion six months later. Has three Lollar P90's in it now with a push pull to put the neck & bridge pickups in series. Fattens up the tone a bit.

Is that one of your P90s? If so, where did you get the bracket?

Dave Johnson

Reaction score
Is that one of your P90s? If so, where did you get the bracket?
No Gahr, that's a stock photo. Those brackets are next to impossible to find.
Others have looked high & low and had no luck. Making them looks like the only option.

Gahr

Reaction score
No Gahr, that's a stock photo. Those brackets are next to impossible to find.
Others have looked high & low and had no luck. Making them looks like the only option.
Tell me about it. I''ve looked high and low without luck myself lately. I've ended up making some plastic brackets myself. But I would really like some more solid ones...

Dave Johnson

Reaction score
Tell me about it. I''ve looked high and low without luck myself lately. I've ended up making some plastic brackets myself. But I would really like some more solid ones...
If I locate any, you'll be the first to know.

Raiyn

Reaction score

Ah! Unobtainium brackets! That explains things a bit better!

Latest posts