Trogly Reviews the SG "Dark"

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by An Abiding Dude, Dec 2, 2021.

1. An Abiding Dude

An Abiding Dude Active Member

Thoughts? It evidently has a neck cerebral gasket could love...along with '57 pickups and $100 cheaper than a standard.

zeppelinpage4 likes this.
  2. zeppelinpage4

zeppelinpage4 Member

I briefly bought one and spent some time with it. I REALLY liked it. Fit and finish was good, the richlite board and blacked out hardware looked fantastic. Played nicely out of the box. My only hang up was the black binding blended too well with the richlite board, so it just looked unbound. And the lack of a crown inlay and the dark inlays blending a little too much with the board, made it look like they weren’t there at all. So it looked more stripped down than a normal SG standard.

It was tough to let it go, and I regret returning it…but i found a Pelham blue SG special which I didn’t want to miss out on since they’re getting discontinued. That and the SG special having hand wiring/orange drop caps, a hard case, and being $100 cheaper than the SG dark made the decision easier for me. I still don’t know if I made the right call choosing the special, I still think about that SG dark but funds and space are limited.

Also, interesting his had a poker chip. Mine didn’t.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 3, 2021
  3. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

I agree with Trogly, red inlays (and red binding, while we're at it), would have made it really stand out. Otherwise there isn't enough contrast and it looks like if they made an SG Studio.

@zeppelinpage4 Did you have one included in the case? Usually that's how they do it.

zeppelinpage4 likes this.
  4. zeppelinpage4

zeppelinpage4 Member

You know, it’s funny, I didn’t notice the chip was missing, just figured that’s how it was supposed to be. So I didn’t really look for it before I returned it. It probably had the chip somewhere in bag. I just never looked for it.

I fully agree on the red binding and inlays. The black inlays/binding made it look a little plain and stripped down, more like a studio as you said. Maybe that’s what they were going for, but I’d have been happy to pay a little more and have them make it with the red binding and inlays.

PermissionToLand likes this.