Tronical sue Gibson for $50 million.

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by SG standard, Apr 25, 2018.

Tags:
  1. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

Here you go. I guess they were disappointed to see their products disappearing from the 2018 range.

Quote: In a statement issued to MusicRadar, Tronical CEO and founder Chris Adams said, "Tronical is claiming licensing fees to the amount of 23 million US dollars from the share in the profits agreed in the contract, and a further 27 million US dollars on the grounds of Gibson’s breach of contract of the exclusive research and development agreement with Tronical, which Gibson should have met by 2026."

To me it sounds like a great chance for some lawyers to get even richer. And I guess Tronical have realised they're in trouble without Gibson's orders, so are trying to grab what they can while Gibson are still there to be sued.

2. Chubbles

Chubbles Well-Known Member

From all the comments on those tuning things: Gibson should have never signed that contract. Gibson must have no idea what we want.

Relic61 likes this.
  3. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

hmmm... one of Gibson's more unpopular innovations turns about and
    bites them in the arse. (or attempts to bite). I couldn't tell if a lawsuit like this
    has any merit. Someone will have to read the contract. And then negotiate
    a settlement based on what the contract stipulates.

I've been an interested spectator in the great "robot tuner' melodrama ever since
    I heard about the first one. The first time I ran across one of these puppies was
    in like 2008. I was in the 'quiet room" at Guitar Center, playing an SG through some
    amps I could never afford. I was in the 'altered state" that we now refer to as
    "bonding with my SG."

It wasn't my guitar, but she had reached out and called me to her from a distance
    of between ten and twenty meters. (it's a large store). I had gone through the
    ritual of selection, and was very perplexed at my own emotions and reactions at
    this time. I could feel myself being drawn along by currents of some kind, and
    "knew' but hadn't admitted yet that the SG in fact WAS my guitar... all that remained
    was some paperwork. *grins

But in the quiet room above the amps I could not afford (the ones that my new SG
    sounded so cool when played through) ...was a ROBOT SG. I was fascinated, and
    leaned my new guitar against one of the amps (bad idea) and took down the Robot and
    tried it out.

My conclusion: NAW... I didn't think I needed the robot, having been a performer for
    a long time and having managed to keep my guitars in decent enough tune under the most
    demanding conditions. Besides, they wanted more than $3000 for the Robot SG, and
    the one that had called me over was marked down to about $600.

No contest. I also owned several types of tuners, the Boss TU-1, and a Korg plug in
    tuner and maybe an early clamp on headstock tuner. Those worked fine for me, so
    I didn't need to pay all that money for a guitar that didn't sound as good to me as
    the humble faded special at my feet.

I still feel that way. The one feature of the robot tuners that I could really put to work
    is the memory bank of custom presets. I could save all my favored alternate tunings
    and let the robot do the cranking and cursing. Now that's valuable.

But how much is it worth? If this lawsuit proceeds, EVERYONE in the court room will
    be wondering that very thing.

4. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

Why do I feel a certain schadenfreude that Gibson is now seeing what it's like to be sued when you can't afford to fight it...

5amp, Plan Zero and SG standard like this.
  5. rotorhead

rotorhead Well-Known Member

Sounds like a simple matter if Gibson not living up to a contractual number of units they were supposed to buy in the long run.

It also sounds like Tronical is angling themselves to recover what they can by filing a suit prior to the chance that Gibson goes under.

6. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Active Member

Sounds like Tronical built and delivered a defective product that didn't meet the specification in their contract, and Gibson is cutting their losses for a product that didn't work and didn't generate sales as a result.

JCarno likes this.
  7. 67King

67King Member

That is EXACTLY what is going on in my opinion. No idea where that would fall in the order of distributions from a bankruptcy (i.e. debtors are paid off in full before equity holders), but IMHO, they are just trying to get what they can.

8. rotorhead

rotorhead Well-Known Member

Depending on the type of chapter they could file, most debtors would probably receive very little due to the protections.

However, companies that have active suits against them might be a different story, which is maybe an angle they are hoping for.

9. LDS

LDS Member

Well, if you've been following the blowout pricing on 2015 models and are aware that the vast majority of them were traded out from the retailers for other models...

Not really sure they were associated with any actual 'profit.'

10. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

Not to change the subject:

Cosmetic issues with the binding aside, I actually like my 2015. :smile:

11. LDS

LDS Member

Me too! :cheers:

arcticsg likes this.
  12. Chubbles

I love my clip on tuner, so high tech. I remember when all they had was pitch pipes, and we managed.

13. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

Oof. They shouldn't have made the deal, but I think we can all agree to that. I had one of those hi-tech gadgets on my 2015 Standard and it was fun while it lasted, but the thing is, they use plastic gears inside the tuner, and eventually, they will wear out. Mine, the gears didn't stop working, they started slipping, but didn't stop working entirely. The firmware though, started to glich out. I don't know if it's the overtones that happen because of the Bigsby, but the thing started tuning the high B and e and making them to the point where they almost broke. So I said adios, and took the tuners off, and replaced them with Hipshot locking tuners and haven't had a problem since.

Sucks about how they are probably going to go under, but the best we can all hope for is that someone buys them and keeps the current structure of guitars the way they are without moving any jobs.

Chubbles likes this.
  14. Chubbles

Worst case scenario, Gibson would completely vanish, and we can all place orders for Chibsons to help us remember the times. China is getting better at making guitars anyway.

15. 67King

67King Member

I think the brand name is far too valuable for it to go away. And I think whoever owns the brand name will recognize that being American is part of what makes it so valuable. So I do not expect to see Gibson branded guitars made in the USA go away any time soon.

arcticsg likes this.
  16. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

Agree 100 percent with that. I have not heard any recent updates since rumors that to refinance henry needs to be replaced.

No idea if this move is anyhow related but could be someones idea of more pressure to force that to move along while also putting pressure for a settlement of this claim.

17. jojo68

jojo68 Active Member

Those things were a joke