Trying to decide between John Birch humbuckers

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by Kareem Badr, Nov 16, 2020.

1. Kareem Badr

Kareem Badr New Member

Hi,

I have an old Samick Artist Series SG, and I've been pleasantly surprised by it. I bought it used 17 or 18 years ago, and I think it had some modifications. It has chrome machine heads, rather than the classic snot-green ones, for example. Anyway, in doing some research, it seems that I happened to get a pretty decent (cheap) SG, which is exciting.

I am thinking about upgrading the electronics, and the Iommi pickups are long gone and very hard to find. I did stumble on the John Birch pickups, and the price is certainly right, but there is virtually no description or details on their website to distinguish between the sets of humbuckers.

Does anyone know what the differences are between the Magnum 4/Hyperflux 5, 3/4, and 2/3 sets of John Birch pickups? The only description I've read is that the Magnum 4 + Hyperflux 5 are the "Heaven & Hell" pickups, so I would assume they're akin to Iommi's post-70s sound. Personally, I'd like something that would be good for some all purpose blues playing, and Iommi's early 70s sound if possible. Worst case, I'll pick the 3/4, since they're in the middle, and hope for the best.

I realize tone is all in the fingertips (or lack thereof), but I figure upgrading the electronics on my Samick wouldn't be the worst idea. And you can't beat the price of the John Birch pickups (around $140 for a set)

Anyway, any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.