Tube Screamer or FuzzFace?

Discussion in 'Effects' started by PermissionToLand, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

He was just hoping to collect some royalties when they did .

dbb likes this.
  2. weemac

weemac Active Member

I spent 7 or so years trying to sound like my guitar hero, and ever since then (+ another 14 or so) trying very hard not to....
    After a while hearing "You sound just like ........" is no compliment at all (although the folks who say it mean it as such).
    My hero is still my hero but thank goodness there can only be one of them..

I just want to sound like me now.

Eden.

3. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Les screwed up on the SG then - it sold really well and he cut himself out of the royalties due to his divorce w/ Mary and his dislike of the body shape.

4. DFLCC

DFLCC Well-Known Member

I tried for years to play many of the guitar graets of the 60's, 70's and 80's. I learned many songs to the best of my abilities and note for note. I can't think for a second this is wasted time just because I was attempting to play like Page and/or Clapton. I learned their style, and one thing for sure you can't sound like them with a beat up Kramer Striker II and a Peavey Bandit 112. I wondered and admired them and fascinated on how they came with their ideas, rifts and solos. How everything came together. That triggered everything for me. I wanted more and more and departed from copying to become creative. I learned music theory, I started seeking my own tone, which have changed two or three times over three decades. I have become extremely kind to blues, rather than sticking to rock and metal, which I still play and love. I have come with my own voice. I can compare this to leadership, some people have a natural talent for it, but yet they all start by been followers, eventually some will take charge and exploit knowledge and experience and direct and influence others to work on a common goal. Heroes is a strong word reserved for just a few. Man and/or women that act extraordinarily in extraordinary circumstances risking everything, deserve to be call Heroes. Page, Hendrix, Clapton, Slash and/or ect.... Influences, Mentors they are. But where would any one start? When did you decided to pick a guitar up and play? and Why? was because you hear some one play and said I would like to do that!

Tobacco Worm likes this.
  5. thinkgreen

thinkgreen Active Member

I to wanted to sound like my guitar idols, and it was dam hard work. Then it hit me, just play the dam guitar and enjoy.
    I have one signature pedal, it a evh phase 90. Got it for 2 reasons 1 it was cheap on eBay n 2 it has block n script phase. Evh didn't come in to it lol.

Back to the pedals in hand. I put together a byoc 808 clone and a byoc Leeds fuzz. I love both. How close these are to the originals I don't know but both pedal cost about the same if not less than one of the originals

6. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

amp AMP AMP. Find your amp first then go from there . Fuzz and tube screamer or OD pedal is in just about everyone arsenal. But dont let guys like
    Slash fooll ya with their straight amp sound claims look up rig rundown
    on you tube guys like slash Joe perry etc carrying a half million easy in
    on stage equip with the best GT's Money can buy.
    To me the tone is a never ending quest just one more amp just one more pedal lol . its all part of the game. Goodluck. and on a slash side note
    for all his millions now I reeally dont think his tone has improved are changed alot.
    Sports - YouTube
    Sports - YouTube

7. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

Actually he really doesn't use pedals, other than the wah. He recorded Appetite For Destruction with a LP and a 1959SLP modded with a second stage of gain. Live, he uses JCM800s.

8. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

Apples n oranges since both are two completely different sounds! .. as far as Fuzzace n all their variations and tubescreamer n all their variations .... hence one must have both

9. iblive

iblive Well-Known Member

Here's a question.... There are some out there that claim the Holy Grail of OD pedals is a Tube Screamer..... so what's the diif between a TS808 Tube Screamer and a TS9 Tube Screamer? I'm so confused.

10. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

all I can say about tube screamers is the new ones do not sound like the old ones. A buddy of mine has an old tube screamer and I really like his. Im not a bif fan of the new ones though. I have no idea what the difference is but I mean it is a very noticable difference.

11. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

I have a Guitar Player mag with Slash's rig layout broken down piece by piece and there was quite a few things besides a Cry Baby displayed. Now would a mag like Guitar Player be able to get away with making that up, risk being held accountable for such falsities and endure the hit to their credibility if it wasn't true at some point in time that Slash had effects in his signal chain?

According to two of Slash's guitar techs who were interviewed in 1-31-2011 (Chet Haun & Jim Survis), Slash has a rather large pedal arrangement which is kept off stage and run by his guitar tech Jim Survis. Here is a list of his effect pedals being used in his setup around the time of those interviews: MXR M135 Smart Gate, Dunlop Cry Baby Q-Zone, Dunlop Cry Baby Slash Wah, MXR Phase 90 script, MXR Octo-Fuzz Slash Prototype, MXR Boos Line Driver, MXR Stereo Chorus, MXR ST Tremolo, Boss DD3 Digital Delay, Whirlwind A-B selector box.

This info is still available on the Guitar Player magazine website today, several years after I first read on the back pages of the actual magazine so, if it wasn't true to some extent I really doubt it would be allowed to remain on their site in todays world of legal threats and litigation.

As far as wanting to sound like somebody else or capturing a similar tone for ourselves, I can see liking the way somebody gets their guitar & rig to sound like and desiring that type of sound & expressive ability for ourselves. Isnt that kind of normal? There is nothing wrong with that. Good golly what would we do if we were all piano players and somebody liked the way so & so sounded on a Steinway Grand and now they would like their sound to sound as 'grand' themselves. Beautiful tone is just desirable stuff. Well you get the idea I'm itchin at. Good sounding guitar is hard not to desire for ourselves and when we hear something we like their ain't nothing wrong with wanting & having that for ourselves to play with. Copycat claims be damned. If you're happy sounding like Slash sounds & you don't care what anybody else has to say, then it just doesn't matter does it? It's all about us being happy with our sound and feeling able to express ourselves through our instrument that really matters. Fortunately, I have nothing else to say. Thank You!

Biddlin and BlackSG91 like this.
  12. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

That was probably from when he was in Velvet Revolver. His tone is nothing like it used to be. Compare any show on the Use Your Illusions tour to any show after. Just not the same.

13. Krosis

Krosis Well-Known Member

Have you looked into the Way Huge Swollen Pickle? That's the fuzz pedal I eventually settled on and it's great.

14. CATMANDUE

CATMANDUE Well-Known Member

I bet both of them together sound good.

15. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

I don't know who you are having a conversation with or what Velvet Revolver, Use Your Illusion or what ever has to do with your statement ..and I quote
    Actually it was a copy of a 1959 Les Paul Standard (with some elements of a 1958) built by the late L.A.-based luthier Kris Derrig and the amps used for Appetite were a 1959T (T as in Tremolo, a 1959SLP is a reissue and not available until 93) which was rented from S.I.R. (stock #39) and modified by the now famous Tim Caswell. Tim worked at S.I.R.’s tech/service department for several years until 1985

Slash has said that he had a difficult time finding a suitable replacement for this Marshall (while prepping for the “Use Your Illusions” sessions). It is clear that Slash never again exactly replicated his “Appetite” tone, although this might have at least been partially attributable to an intentional evolution of tone on Slash’s part. Slash’s “Illusions” tone stands in stark sonic contrast to his “Appetite” tone, and seems to have been achieved using a JCM 800 exclusively.

Anyway, today, any of Slash's effects would all be off stage where you wouldn't see it but hey if you know more than two of his guitar techs enlighten us with an accurate quote and source. Your statement was worded as it reads, "Anyway, he really doesn't use pedals, other than the wah" And That just isn't a true statement. Sometimes I fell like there ain't nothing anybody here is going to be able to tell people when they already know everything and when confronted with contradicting facts & statements want to change their statements or make excuses like the 'Velvet Revolver' one or throw off topic things in the mix like "compare any show on the Use Your Illusions tour to any show after. Just not the same" Like it had anything to do with your statement that Slash doesn't use pedals. He does use pedals.

If what you are saying is so, Where are you getting your information from that makes you more informed than his guitar techs who put there name to their statements? If you know something factual put it out there to back up your statements which I have already proved to contradict what two of his techs stated were his set up in 1-31-2011 and was displayed for all to see in an early 2012 Guitar Player mag without Mr Slash making any statement otherwise. As well as having his actual Appetite gtr wrong and the amp he used as well. Maybe your statements need proper context involved in the sentences and statements themselves if you are trying to say something other than what it means when you're saying, "Slash doesnt use pedals". Again, that statement by itself just isnt true.

Usually I could give a rats ass about Slash and just my checking on what I thought was a false statement has caused me to know more facts about Slash than I ever cared to know and thats still more facts than what you are able to convey correctly about the man. Just know what your talking about and word it correctly in a sentence before posting like an authority on things please. I got better things to do than research Slash to correct another's statements that just aren't true.

Sorry to smack ya like the Daddy that aint been around for years but hey, if ya wanta live here, theres gonna be some rules to follow, startin with being respectful and tellin the truth and doing your homework. Facts is if I hadnt seen ya actin like a snotty kid on another thread & disrespecting long-timers here I wouldnt have been as interested in pointing out your obvious imperfections. Karma, reap what ye sow, what comes around goes around, live by the yada wtf I'm over it. While Im being so brutish, whats up with that poser icon man? Damn, makes me embarrassed to be a guitarist. Phoney ass poser crap aint it yo yo yo. You? Gee hope not. That would be mean & I wouldnt have said anything if true. (?) na Hopefully its not U but still, why that icon? Did you actually pat someone studio time & 'pose' for that? I know, I know, you are right about what you're thinking right....now. Just returning the energy back where it came from man. Now think before being rude & dismissive to my friends on the forum or I will make it my job to correct every untrue, rude & stupid thing you have to say here.

BlackSG91 likes this.
  16. BlackSG91

BlackSG91 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I aspire to get Andres Segovia's tone. A vituoso Spanish classical guitarist from Linares, Jaen, Andalucia, Spain. He is the father of the modern classical guitar. He has played various public performances when he was a teenager and has developed into one of the main guitar icons of the century. Segovia's technique differed from other classical guitar masters. He plucked the strings with a combination of his fingernails and fingers, producing a sharper sound then many of his contemporaries. A wider range of timbres are created using this technique than just using the fingertips or nails alone. Segovia became among the first to endorse nylon strings instead of gut strings. His teaching style of the classical guitar was considered by some as dogmatically authoritarian. However this style was essential to his effectiveness as a guitar teacher. Segovia was awarded many prizes and honours throughout his career. Can his tone be accounted to any guitar pedal, type of amplifier, types of tubes used in the amplifier, effects rack with a built-in noise gate, guitar string brand, etc...:dunno: Here's the SECRET to his tone. I don't know what brand name these are, but they deliver the tone I need.

[​IMG]

Tobacco Worm and Biddlin like this.
  17. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

I got to see him play live, many years ago . At a college arena, normally filled with screaming basketball fans, it was packed and on a small raised platform at one end, the master held us all in a trance . Already quite old, he played well over an hour and a half, including two encores, until finally, resting his guitar against his side, he said. " I could play all night, but my guitar is sleepy ." I have seen other great classical guitarists, including Carlos Montoya, but none so evocative as Segovia
    Biddlin ;>)/ .

BlackSG91 likes this.
  18. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

Slash has said that he had a difficult time finding a suitable replacement for this Marshall (while prepping for the “Use Your Illusions” sessions). It is clear that Slash never again exactly replicated his “Appetite” tone, although this might have at least been partially attributable to an intentional evolution of tone on Slash’s part. Slash’s “Illusions” tone stands in stark sonic contrast to his “Appetite” tone, and seems to have been achieved using a JCM 800 exclusively.

ABOVE POSTED BY RELIC.
    i WOULD MOST DEFF AGREE WITH ABOVE STATEMENT.
    I DO KNOW HE IS HEAVILY SPONSORED BY DUNLOP AND ALSO
    A MXR LOYALIST AS IS EDDIE V.
    SOME INTERESTING INFO RELIC.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  19. 1ChicagoDave

1ChicagoDave Member

Some very good thoughts.
    In response, here's a fun video that may give some some reasons to learn everything you can about your "guitar heroes"? -

Lemon Andersen performs "Please don't take my Air Jordans" - YouTube

Thanks —

thatbastarddon likes this.