Tuneomatic bridge problem

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by Bert Scrogshaw, Apr 9, 2021.

1. Bert Scrogshaw

Bert Scrogshaw Member

Hello all. I've got a problem with one of those individual bridge pieces in my SGs tuneomatic bridge and am seeking advice from you good folks. The g string was sitting about 0.25 mm higher than the e and b strings and like the complete idiot that I am, I thought that I could just file the v notch down a little.....which worked perfectly.....BUT.....while doing this I accidentally made the notch wider and now the g string is sitting at the height I want.....but it now moves slightly side to side in the notch.

The guitar is still playable but maybe this situation can't be good in the long run. Should I try to change the individual bridge piece......or invest in a completely new bridge? Maybe there are 'better' bridges than the stock Epiphone SG bridge?

Thank you.

2. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, new hearing aid project - exciting
    There are no better bridges than the stock one - although the are better bridges when the stock one has problems. I don't know whether you can buy individual saddles.

Go Nigel Go likes this.
  3. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

I don't think a new bridge for an epi will cost that much so I'd just go for that. Otherwise I have enough of them laying around to start a bridge museum so you can have one if you pay for the shipping.

dub-setter and DrBGood like this.
  4. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

Does it move in the notch while playing or if you make it move?

individual saddles are available.

how did the notch get bigger? What did you use?

5. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

finding good fitting saddles to drop into bridges can be a tweaky thing.

Finding a drop in replacement bridge is pretty easy.

id suggest a new bridge. Wilkinson tune o matics are top notch.

AngelDeVille and Bert Scrogshaw like this.
  6. Bert Scrogshaw

Bert Scrogshaw Member

Thanks for your generous offer but I'll have a look online to see what is available. I might go down the replace single saddle rather than get a bridge route.

7. Bert Scrogshaw

Bert Scrogshaw Member

I used the edge of the wifes best metal nail file. It would have been perfect if I was working on the low E or A string slot......but just a little too wide for the G. :facepalm:
    Now I've got a dodgy bridge slot.......and an angry wife!

8. donepearce

I have to ask... What's a Scrogshaw doing all the way up in Scotland? You belong in Yorkshire.

9. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

Not that I've ever done that but in theory I guess you can just file down the lot of them and then slot them from scratch.

10. Bert Scrogshaw

Bert Scrogshaw Member

I'm from Scotland and still see myself as being Scottish. And Scrogshaw is my online name. Apologies if I have used a Yorkshire name. I never in my wildest dreams did I think that Scrogshaw was a real surname. But I might have a hint of a Yorkshire accent......if that helps.;)

11. Bert Scrogshaw

Bert Scrogshaw Member

Hey......I've just thought. Maybe this is the perfect time to try a wound g string on that butchered saddle slot.

Go Nigel Go likes this.
  12. donepearce

No idea if it is real or not - but if it is, it's definitely Yorkshire. You never know, someone Yorky may spot it and adopt it. You can then be father to the Scrogshaw tribe. Fun times

Bert Scrogshaw likes this.
  13. Go Nigel Go

Go Nigel Go Active Member

Never hurts to try it, you might even like it and save yourself the trouble of "fixing" it.

For what it's worth, I would probably try to find a replacement saddle piece first if I was going to repair, but a close second would be sourcing a used bridge that someone took off in a change out. While it is disappointing to make a mistake like that and file too much material off, it is a relatively easy and inexpensive fix should you decide to go that route. If you have a local luthier near by, it would be worth a visit next time you are out and about, in my experience they often keep a stock of salvaged parts on their bench for situations like this.

Bert Scrogshaw likes this.
  14. dub-setter

dub-setter Well-Known Member

adriano-agree.gif

15. dub-setter

btw.
    i would go for @Von Trapp s museum..
    than looking for a single saddle to replace (i can t imagine that epiphone sell them as spare parts, as they re
    not very good in parts supply for their hardware .
    a used "locktone" (epi) bridge goes also often for quite cheap in the bay.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
  16. Go Nigel Go

https://www.stewmac.com/parts-and-h...s/saddles-for-abr-1-tune-o-matic-bridges.html

Stewart MacDonald has these (good Scottish name there!) pretty cheap... Might want to verify with them they will fit, but I don't see any reason why Epiphone would change the threads and dimensions rather than use a standard existing part from their parent company.

Starting a "bridge museum" also sounds like a solution I would go for too though. :D

dub-setter likes this.
  17. dub-setter

as you i dont know if they will fit for an epi bridge,
    but i´m no expert in saddles/dimension for the epi bridge.

and yap, better ask in the shop if they will do.

Go Nigel Go likes this.
  18. Go Nigel Go

Another quick and dirty fix might be to move the saddle you filed to a thicker string and move the next largest notch one down a position. The original notches tend to be "v: shaped, so saddle from the D string would probably still be tighter than the one you filed.

StewMac also should have some "v" shaped files for doing this sort of work, a handy tool for any player or technician that will save your wife's nail files from further mischief! Replacement bridges and saddles usually come with no notches in them, so you will need to locate your string position and make your own notch if you choose to go that route.

I got a couple of replacement bridges from these guys to dress up a few that were getting natty, good source for all things guitar.

Von Trapp likes this.
  19. Go Nigel Go

Looking over the product reviews, one person states they were perfect fit on his 2015 Epiphone. The dimensions are shown on the listing as well.

dub-setter likes this.
  20. Bert Scrogshaw

Bert Scrogshaw Member

Good idea.....might give it a go