TV Yellow 30th Anniversary SG question

jhexp

Reaction score
Hey guys noob question here. I'm looking to buy my first SG and really like these anniversary ones. There's a few on ebay at the moment there's one that's quite nice, only thing is every one of these I've seen pictures of has Made in USA on the back of the headstock, this one doesn't. The serial number checks out but it doesn't have Made in USA on it.

Could there be same model guitars, some with made in USA and some not?
This will be my first Gibson aswell so I know very little about them.

Thanks.

sgtbeefheart

Reaction score
It's probably because it's a 30th anniversary model, and 30 years earlier
there would be no "Made in USA".

Is it a "Custom" and was it produced in '91?

jhexp

Reaction score
It's probably because it's a 30th anniversary model, and 30 years earlier
there would be no "Made in USA".

Is it a "Custom" and was it produced in '91?

Yes made in 91, but what I'm saying is every 30th anniversary SG I've seen in pictures had made in usa on the back of the headstock, this one doesnt.

sgtbeefheart

Reaction score
Ah, I see.

If you post a link to it, some folks here can tell you if
it's likely to sing with a Chinese accent.

sgtbeefheart

Reaction score
Looks ok to me, in fact it looks beautiful.

Someone else may have an explanation for the headstock.

jhexp

Reaction score
Looks ok to me, in fact it looks beautiful.

Someone else may have an explanation for the headstock.

Thanks for the reply. This one thing is holding me back, just need to be sure that's all as I know next to nothing about Gibsons, I've always owned strats.

bwotw

Reaction score
Can't explain the Made in USA stamp thing but don't worry, that's a genuine Gibson. And look at the small inscriptions on the headstock diamond inlay: they were only put there on those 30th anniversary guitars.

Bid already, that's one sexy axe!!!

Biddlin

Reaction score
It's the McCoy. The "Made In USA" is probably lightly stamped and buried under the yellow lacquer, a not uncommon occurrence.
Biddlin ;>)/

jhexp

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. So is this a Custom shop guitar or is Custom just the name given to these SG's with 3 pickups that headstock inlay and the fret inlay blocks starting at the first fret? Also, would that be a one piece body?

sgtbeefheart

Reaction score
It's the McCoy. The "Made In USA" is probably lightly stamped and buried under the yellow lacquer, a not uncommon occurrence.
Biddlin ;>)/

Agreed.

I found a pic of one, and it was barely visible.

jhexp

Reaction score
Great, thanks for the info!! I've found a 2007 custom shop SG locally but I've read that Gibson's from the time period of the TV Yellow one (early 90's) are fantastic guitars.

jhexp

Reaction score
As much as I want this guitar shipping and import taxes to Australia has priced me out of it, just got the quotes today... I could get the seller to put a lower price but I can't take the risk with insurance. The search continues...

Col Mustard

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, jhexp! Really, I think there's no better time to buy new... or to get a lightly used recent SG.
Deals on four or five year old SGs are usually great, and you get a fine guitar without buying into false generalizations about one year's production or another.

There's enough variation from instrument to instrument to insure that anybody who says "the '93s were better than the '97s" is likely barking at a cathouse. I would never recommend anyone buy a guitar blind on the basis of hearsay. (although I confess I've done it twice). It's best to play it first IMHO ...if you can. Then you know.

The 2007 guitar you found closer to you has this advantage. You might pay more than some of the dodgy deals we hear about online, but when you know what you're taking home, it's easier to part with the cash. When you buy a used guitar, your first job is to try and figure out why the old owner sold it, and put that right. Then get it set up properly to suit your style. After that, whether it rocks or not has nothing to do with the model, or the year or the color, or whether it's got binding or not... It's completely up to you. That's what I think anyway. *grins ...good luck in your search, and don't forget to post photos if you find something.