Ugliest?

Raiyn

Reaction score
If you find one lying around, I'll take it. P90 on the neck !
First time I see a Zoot LP. I like the looks better on this body shape than the SG.
I'm completely the other way around. Of course, I don't care for LPs so that might be part of it.
I don't care how good they play, these Parkers and Steinbergers gotta be the ugliest guitars ever made. Even the Vox teardrops have at least some sort of retro design appeal, I guess...

160px-Parker_Fly.jpg

684496f51a003cc3d49dcafff8e3166c.jpg

I like the Parker Fly. The Stienberger, isn't ugly in as much as dated. It just screams Reagan Era MTV.

Hector

Reaction score
I've seen some guitar makers turn out rather ugly stuff:

Custom_Guitar.jpg

walnut_jane_body_liegend.png

Wookiee

Reaction score
Anything "Lefty"...

Kidding :rofl:

Like most of Zakk Wylde's designs, this just screams "trying too hard". We get it Zakk, you're a badass.

Graveyard_Splash_R.jpg

Last edited:

peejaybee

Reaction score
Oh yeah. My brother bought this piece of caca, in like 1966 or 67. First electric I "tried" to play. This thing couldn't be held in any manner, without it wanting to go the other way. Action was a mile high and the pickups ... well, what can I say. The thinnest pickups I ever heard.

Man, what a piece of crap that was.

Relic61

Reaction score
Contest over...

593PDLXSeafoam-front-1_grande.jpg

Dude! I had this guitar when I was a teenager. It was my second electric guitar with the first being some unplayable ugly Jap excuse of a guitar with flatwound strings & weak a$$ single coils. In comparison, this 'Jetson' Airline kicked ass, even if it did only have 19 frets! Haw haw haw.. count 'em! 19 wtf?? #buma$$ LOL

I played the fvk outta that guitar & literally wore the damn frets loose! LOL ya real quality reso-body item there Griswald). Not! But the bottom line is that it was good enough for me to feel inspired & encouraged when I played it.

And play it I did for hour upon hour allowing me to make dramatic advances in my guitar abilities. At least until it just wasn't good enough anymore & I moved on up into a Leo Fender Music Man Stingray II.

Funny thing, that funky finicky Bigsby on that Reso-Airline sucked so bad that I wanted nothing at all to do with a tremolo on my next guitar & went with a fixed bridge on the M.M. Aint that how it goes sometimes...

And now for my 70's Reso-Body Airline flashback! Ready for a laugh bud?? LOL check it

Airline 3 pup 'George Jetson' guitar with Bigsby (375x312).jpg

At least I still got that '78 crybaby.

WallaceWinston

Reaction score
Dude! I had this guitar when I was a teenager. It was my second electric guitar with the first being some unplayable ugly Jap excuse of a guitar with flatwound strings & weak a$$ single coils. In comparison, this 'Jetson' Airline kicked ass, even if it did only have 19 frets! Haw haw haw.. count 'em! 19 wtf?? #buma$$ LOL

I played the fvk outta that guitar & literally wore the damn frets loose! LOL ya real quality reso-body item there Griswald). Not! But the bottom line is that it was good enough for me to feel inspired & encouraged when I played it.

And play it I did for hour upon hour allowing me to make dramatic advances in my guitar abilities. At least until it just wasn't good enough anymore & I moved on up into a Leo Fender Music Man Stingray II.

Funny thing, that funky finicky Bigsby on that Reso-Airline sucked so bad that I wanted nothing at all to do with a tremolo on my next guitar & went with a fixed bridge on the M.M. Aint that how it goes sometimes...

And now for my 70's Reso-Body Airline flashback! Ready for a laugh bud?? LOL check it

View attachment 24715

It's funny that you are embarrassed of this pic. If I saw this on a new album cover I would listen to it in a second.

Relic61

Reaction score
It's funny that you are embarrassed of this pic. If I saw this on a new album cover I would listen to it in a second.
I have a very self deprecating way of not letting my many God given talents & abilities swell my head & allow me to get too smug or highfalutin for my own good! LOL
I'm sure that carries over into anything that has to do with my projected perception of myself as well. I would rather be humble & loved than proud & braggadocios (even rightfully) & be thought a fool or hated by others because of that smugness.

Bonzo21

Reaction score

View attachment 24715

Sorry, fell off the face of the earth for a while. That was an awesome story man. Honestly, I think its ugly, but it does have a vibe. Every guitar has its place and its fans ahahahh.

SG FIRST TIMER

Reaction score

View attachment 24715

Love the Atlantis artwork. Did you do that? This reminds me of a band i played with in about 74-75, we were gonna be stars!!!!:D

Relic61

Reaction score
Love the Atlantis artwork. Did you do that? This reminds me of a band i played with in about 74-75, we were gonna be stars!!!!:D

Well this was just a couple years after that. I think that group started in 76 or sumth'n & went through 1980 or so.

I believe that Atlantis sign was on plexiglass & had crinkled foil behind it & stuffed into that cheap frame. It's always nice when somebody takes the time & cares enough about your group to do something like that, even if it is a homemade sign that looks like an inmate made vinyl painting he's selling for cigarettes.

Relic61

Reaction score
Reverse Flying V

Being y'all didn't post a pic to visually document that Reverse V ugliness...

Gibson-Reverse-Flying-V.jpg

And let's not forget, they came in 3 flavors of ugly!
New%20Gibson%20Reverse%20Flying%20V-1200-80.jpg

And,.. what is the Reverse V without mentioning it's ugly counterpart from the same era,.. the Reverse Explorer !

a-reverse-v-2.jpg

I would venture to say that despite the 'ugliness' these guitars project to us guitar players is maybe because they are so different from the established norm. But, it is that same 'ugliness' & difference from normal that gets these guitars noticed when performing with them. Like an attention getting prop that you can play!

Here's to ugly guitars, Rock n Roll & making music!

Latest posts